Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band vs. Realize Band?

well once I am approved! I went to my eval yesterday and was given the opportunity to compare the AP and the realize band! There is definitely a difference! The Realize band is very soft and pliable ! Whereas the AP was more rigid and not pliable at all! Also the Realize band completely encircled the stomach (like there is no break once closed) and the balloon inside extends past the outside of the band so the plastic on the outside does not touch the stomach. Not to mention the Realize band is actually 18 mm wider than the AP which is said to give better restriction, even at the time of surgery without the fill. Also u can start out with larger fills in the Realize band. And according to research the avg. Realize band patient only need 4 fills for the first year and 2 for the next two yrs! Which to me is awesome because that means less money to be spent on fills, and hopefully finding the sweet spot sooner! My dr. gave me a whole book on the realize band that I just can't put down! I haven't even been on the site yet, but soon I will! LOL!

Sorry I am rambling but I am so excited! If anyone as a ? I would be happy to answer if I can.

Are you sure it was the AP and not the older model Lap Band? My doctor only uses Lap Band--the old models sound like what you are describing but the Lap Band AP he had in his office and I got to look at it and it was pliable (almost like those plastic bracelets people wear for different causes) and went all the way around the stomach.

Yes, I am sure it was the new AP band, (the one with the different inner tube to avoid erosion). I even asked her because I had heard so much about the new AP. and when I held them I immediately felt the difference. She even put each one on a replica of a stomach, and it was obvious the difference in how the bands gripped the stomach.

I am so excited about getting the Realize band!! :wink2:

Oh and u are most certainly welcome Kathy! Defintely demand a book its awesome!

Please reference http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f228/compare-lap-band-realize-band-96761/ for an in depth comparison between the LAP-BAND vs. Realize Band.

My only choice with my insurance company which is Geisinger (an HMO) was the Realize Band, unless of course I self-paid. Had my insurance not approved and I had to self pay, I probably would have done lap-band with my daughter's doctor, Dr. Spivak, in Houston...but in the end, my daughter and i both get stuck on the same things, both PB, both lose weight...and I guess you can have complications with any band if you're in the percentile that's going to have a problem. I'm only 4.5 months out, but so far I'm okay with the Realize. I have a friend that had the Lap-Band with the same insurance company (which I found out later there still some surgeons doing lap-band at another of their hospitals), but she has had more "issues" with hers, but I don't chalk that up to the band but the inexperience of our surgeons at performing any banding procedures. Her port was placed down by her waistline which causes her problems and problems with fills.

I would also suggest if you have the confidence in your surgeon, along with your own research, also trusting your surgeons recommendation. My surgeon had only done five procedures period and I think I was his first Realize guinea pig (he's done lots of bypasses) but he's been absolutely wonderful and I think he really is very concerned and very on top of everything just because it is so new for him. But he calls me at home after a fill to see how I'm doing and before a new fill he calls a few days before to check to see if I still feel like I need it.

Trisha

I have three people in my house with the band... I (female) have the realize, the other two (both male) have the lap band... Now we all have had three fills and about the same amount amount of cc's... We all had surgery withing a one week time span (June 11 and 18th) The boys get food stuck CONSTANTLY...Have trouble with meat and bread... I can't control their bite sizes or how much they are chewing but I can watch and it looks like they are doing "ok" with it...

I have not had a stuck episode but have a a few times where the food is right at the band and is thinking about getting stuck... I can actuall feel the food pop through which makes me think that my realize band is a little forgiving then theirs...

But, since Sept 18 the two boys have lost 20 pounds and I have only lost 8... (That is why I indicated male/female) We were in a competition, first one to 20 pounds got to get $200 in new clothes... But my point is, is it the band that is making a difference or is is the male vs. famale thing and of course what we are eating... I can only control what is for dinner, but I can tell you I can always finish my dinner and for them it's a matter of how many bites until they get stuck... Which would cause them to eat less...

I would rather not get stuck and lose slower. I watch them and sometimes it seems so painful and annoying...and the whole foaming thing until the stuck item gets out is really gross....

So my choice is the realize band... We will see what happens after fill number 4 in November.

DanBar, talk about a banded home!! :thumbdown::) I think, like, you, it probably does make a difference male vs. female also, plus just the fact that everyone loses differently. I know with last fill to 7cc it has made a huge difference and just learning now how to slow my roll down on the eating.

I guess your food bill in the home has changed drastically, huh? :thumbup:

Trisha

I went to my first seminar (True Results in Dallas area) and asked about the difference. She took awhile to answer (which concerned me) and then said something about Realize being the "old swiss band". Then she said it was triangular-shaped and increased the chances of erosion because tissue could get stuck in the corners. I am looking at a picture now and the Realize band is unfurled in the photo but doesn't look triangular to me.

I have an appt with another surgeon on Thursday that uses both. If it's equally safe, I really like the online resources that Realize offers. But would not sacrifice safety for them.

Great info in that post, Alex.

I also asked my surgeon last night. I told him what the True Results lady said about erosion and the triangle-factor. He confirmed that Realize may have a slightly higher rate of erosion, it has a slightly lower rate of slippage.

Personally, I think I would rather take the chance of slippage before erosion but the percentages are so low, I am not really worried about either.

We've received one common request over the last year+ from members on LapBandTalk who've undergone or are interested in the Realize® Band procedure: An online community they can call their own.

Following the success of LapBandTalk and VerticalSleeveTalk, we're happy to announce that we've just launched the beta release of the Realize Band Support Community, located at RealizeBandSupport.com . We're confident that you'll find what you're looking for at the new Realize Band Support (RBS) Community.

If you're currently a member of LapBandTalk or VerticalSleeveTalk, you can just log in with your current credentials, there's no need to sign up for a new account.

Log in now to join the REALIZE Band community and become one of our founding members!

Wondering if Realize® Band is the right choice for you? Looking for information and community after your Realize Band Surgery? Look no further. You'll find everything you need at RealizeBandSupport.com .

I started LapBandTalk the night I came home from surgery mid July 2003. Following my own Lap-Band® procedure, I was looking for information and community support. I came across a few helpful web sites, but they all lacked a sense of actually belonging to a group of people who share many similarities, struggles and habits.

After years of researching and reaching out to the community, we've been able to build the most comprehensive online resources for all types of Weight Loss Surgeries. Hundreds of thousands of registered members contribute amazing stories and useful information to our pages.