Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unsupportive - no downright hostile PCP

I thought it might happen.

I've been going to my pcp for 6 years now went in with headaches and diagnosed with HTN and I was 318lbs @ the time. 2 years aago after telling me again that I needed to control my weight and changing me to stronger meds she said "and don't think you going to do it the "cheating way" with a bypass". ok no problem by that time I was 322.

I'm doing my research and I'm hoping the lap band is the thing for me, I'm certainly ready to give it my all and I just did 1 year of nutrisystem losing 30 lbs and gaining 35lbs.

I go in yesterday (my birthday) for my annual. I mention that my knee is killing me I aviod stairs, and lo and behold 1 weigh 328 (lovely). She proceeds to tell me that "all i have to do is lose weight" - Ya think?

-Didn't I feel better when I lost the 30 lbs. -My hormone levels are fine so there's no medical reason that I can't lose weight. -Maybe I should do like her (maybe 5 lbs over her ideal weight mind you) and get on the scale everyday and if i find I'm a pound or two over cut back on my intake.

I mean shes a cardiologist/internist does she really think it's that easy, has she lost her mind? If I could lose weight and keep it off - DONT YOU THINK I WOULD!!! Jesus Mary and Joseph give me a break.

Needless to say she doesn't "approve" of WLS. so i'll be looking for a new pcp to do the supervised weight loss and referral for me. What a day - Happy Birthday to me- sorry really needed to vent

In it's own way it IS a HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU~~~ how you reacted to her unwillingness, shows you that you have made your decision! You want the band, and now you are going to find a way to make that happen. Your birthday gift to yourself---taking control of your future!!! So that you may have many more wonderful birthdays ahead of you. And that when you go back to get your annual checks -- you will find a lower number on the scale, and on the blood pressure reading, and a much more understanding person in the form of your Dr.

Better to find this now, and make the change----you deserve a chance! Studies show that people with over 20 lbs to lose----only 5% of them lose it and keep it off without intervention!

So celebrate!!! The first hurdle has been jumped, you found how important this was to you, and you know what you want----now give yourself the gift of going after it.

I love my band-----I consider it one of the best things I have ever done just for me! So.....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!

Good luck on your band quest!!! And Welcome to LBT!!

Kat

I totally agree that you have been given a wonderful Birthday gift!! The decision that you need to take charge and do something for YOU!! My pcp is the one that suggested that I have the lap band!! My cardiologist actually asked me if I met the critieria!!! What a hoot that was when I told my pcp!! My pcp just about flipped when he heard that one!! He told me that he could strangle that other Dr for asking me such a stupid question.

Anyway, you need to find another pcp one that will offer you encouragment in your Quest to be healthy. You would think that they would want that for you above all, but I guess not in your case.

I wish for you the best in your search for what it right for YOU in your search for a new life.

Nancy :thumbup:

Find yourself another doctor and send your current one a postcard of a bEach. Maybe she'll get the hint. :thumbup:

Good for you for being strong enough to realize there are a lot of good choices out there and she ain't it !

Gosh you are killing! I loved your letter on here, I don't look often as I am a bit synical by now. But I do believe in the band, the idea is great If, and I mean If...you get the right Doctor. Stay out of Mexico, I beg you. There are now American Doctors doing it on the payment plan. I wish I would have waited for that. Take care!

Thank you all so much. I know I'm doing the right thing for me, and I'll find the right pcp for me , and I fell of the chair with the postcard suggestion (thank you i needed that) .

Besides all that 43 and and I need reading Glasses - OMGnow that's a crisis

I am a nurse. After my surgery I had one of our thoracic surgeron tell me I should have just stopped eating...Well there's a thought...I decided to hit him were it hurts and told him how much I paid for the surgery, $16,000.00. I then pointed out that he chose the wrong specialty. That shut him up:smile:

PLEASE find a new doctor!!! You deserve so much better! It would seem that a good doctor would want you to get the weight off to improve your life. Get your lapband and get started with your new life- you are worth it!!!:rolleyes:

That doctor reminds me of my first pcp who kept saying "We must quit smoking", "We must lose weight" yada, yada, yada over the 2 years I had her. She was maybe 5'3" and 100 soaking wet. One time I said "WE????" and she got po'd LOL. She was condescending and very snippy. I ditched her for a new doctor who is a guy, very cool thrilled when I quit smoking 2 years ago. He's all for this surgery and wrote a letter to the Weight loss center at our clinic.

So get another doctor.

ASAP......

And when you get nice and slim to your liking take a picture and mail it to her LOL

I had a surprising experience with my PCP today. The last time I saw him was in December, (I'm sure we had our "let's see if we can eat a bit less and exercise more" conversation, as usual). He had never been supportive of Gastric Bypass, which I had been researching last year.

Since I did self-pay, I never needed to tell him about my lap-band. So, I didn't - but was a bit nervous, since his office is 3 doors down from my lap-band surgeon's door in the same medical building!

Today, I went for my annual physical, and obviously, the scale told on me. I confessed that I had lap band surgery. To my happy surprise - his response was, "Fantastic! - why do you use the word 'confess'? I'm happy for you!" So I reminded him of his gastric bypass opinions - and his reply - "yes, but lap band is so much safer!". Wow. So he looks at my file to see the weight and notices that I've lost 50 lbs in 3 months. He was blown away. He said I was his first patient to have a lap band and he was thrilled to see how well I'd done. He mentioned that he had many other patients he would mention this to!!

I was so relieved and happy with his support! So - there are plenty of PCP's out there who will do their research and not lump all WLS into one category. Good luck finding a new doctor! And good luck with your surgery!

Man, other than your PCP saying that you have to lose weight (mine hasn't said a damn thing to me about my weight in 4 1/2 years, she just ignores it)...the scenario sounds like mine!!! I approached my doc with the paperwork and everything so that she could help in the support and all that, and she literally freaked out on me, accusing me of going to see someone else, etc. Then she said that my essay, etc. for my application "mirrored one of her other patients who is now a drug addict." CRAZY!!!!!! I'm looking for a new PCP as well, so best of luck to you in your search...who needs doctors that are going to think in such a narrow minded way?

I didn't even TELL my PCP! My PCP is at Mass General and my LB is being done at Tufts. I totally bypassed (no pun intended) her. She is perfectly nice, and I know no idea how she feels about WLS, and I don't really care. I know my allergist support LB, though. At my last appointment with him he mentioned to me that I might want to consider it (I already was). I wish he was a PCP. Nicest guy, we talk about all kinds of stuff (he also thinks I should get a breast reduction).

Mamanmidwife, your PCP is a jerk, and doesn't know the medical facts about obesity. You are better off without her. Maybe one of the weight loss docs can recommend a more WLS friendly PCP?