Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions for the doctor???

I am going for my pre op on Friday, even though my surgery isn't until the 28th. I was just wondering what kind of questions I should ask. Does anyone have any suggestions?? First one I have is will he fill the band some during the operation.

Thank you so much for helping.

Alesha

There used to be a great thread here with a list of questions to ask. Since the forum has been updated, it's gone, WAAAAAA!!!!

So I'll see if I can retrieve my list for you.

Here's one list:

PROCEDURE

How many lapbands has the surgeon performed?

What types of complications have you personally ran into doing this procedure?

What is your policy when a complication occurs during a procedure?

What kind of band will be used?

What size-or will you determine once you are in there?

Are you Inamed/J & J approved for the procedure? If not then who qualified you to

perform the procedure and can you have literature to verify this?

What are the chances of infection? Does an occurrence of infection always mean the band must be removed?

How often do your patients need their band removed (or any other additional surgical procedures)?

Since I carry a lot of weight in my abdomen, does that increase the complexity or risk of complications with a laparoscopic procedure?

Does my abdominal fat increase my chance of needing fat pads removed from my stomach?

Does that have any risks associated with it?

What are the chances I will need my gall bladder removed? Is there anything I can do dietary-wise to reduce the risk of gall stones?

Are sutures always used to place the band? Is there any complications that arise from the "stomach wrap" around the band? Is it true that the sutures are permanent and do not dissolve?

AFTER CARE / RECOVERY

What should I expect during the recovery period? What is normal?

What kinds of self-care could I be doing to help my recovery?

Will my activities be limited during the recovery period? If so, which activities and for how long?

When can I return to work?

What help might I need while I recover? (driving, lifting, etc.)

What symptoms should you call a doctor about?

What programs do you have pre- and post- surgery to help me succeed?

How much support do you provide during the insurance approval process?

FILLS

What is your fill schedule?

When can I get my first fill?

How is the fill procedure performed? (ie: with or without fluroscopy)

What is the cost for fills? (under fluro and not)

How often will I need to be seen?

Will I have access to a Nutritionist?

How do you handle unfills?

Is there a direct line in case of Emergencies?

Does your doctor have email address?

What Vitamins should I be taking?

How will I take my birth control pills, HTN pills, etc? Are they crushable?

Will I need to crush my pills? If so then for how long?

Are there any pills that cannot be crushed? If so then how will I be able to take them?

PREGNANCY

Once pregnant, will I have to get a partial unfill or be completely unfilled?

Should I expect any issues/complications with a pregnancy after being

banded? If there are any what could they be and how will they be addressed?

After being banded, are most babies delivered via c-section or can they be delivered naturally?

If my baby needs to be delivered via c-section could that damage the port and tubing?

Are there additional Vitamins I should take while pregnant?

Edited by faithmd

Here's the second list, some are duplicates:

Questions to ask during consultation:

Research the doctor.

What kind of follow up care is provided? (ie: fills, unfills, endoscopies, fluroscopies, port revisions, removal, etc).

Ask to speak to about 5 or 6 of his patients before you make a decision (this one os tricky with HIPAA, but usually at the pre-op seminars there are at least one or two patients there-or some have indicated they'd be willing to talk with prospective patients). Ask those people if they have any complaints or issues with their care before, during and after the procedure.

How many of the procedures has he done?

What types of complications can occur from this procedure and how frequently do they happen? (ie: perforations, etc)

What types of complications has he personally ran into doing this procedure?

What is his policy when a complication occurs during a procedure? (ie: does he discuss options with family or immediately convert to bypass or other WLS).

Is he Inamed/J&J approved for the procedure? If not then who qualified him to perform the procedure and can you have literature to verify this?

Research the procedure.

How is the procedure performed? Will you use the Pars Flaccida approach?

What type of sutures do you use? Can I request glue and not staples?

Will I have a catheter placed?

If I am on my menses, can I wear a tampon?

What will I need to have prepared when I get home in way of food items?

What are the short term issues?

What are the long term issues?

How will I be able to take my pills?

Will you write today for liquid pain meds?

Do you want me to take antibiotics post-op? If so, will you write for Diflucan (if get yeast infections when on antibiotics)?

Follow up care.

What is the schedule for fills?

When can I get my first fill?

How is the fill procedure performed? (ie: with or without fluroscopy)

What is the cost for fills? (under fluro and not)

How often will I need to be seen?

Will I have access to a Nutritionist?

How do you handle unfills?

Is there a direct line in case of Emergencies?

Does your doctor have email address?

What Vitamins should I be taking?

Will I need to crush my pills? If so then for how long? Are there any pills that cannot be crushed? If so then how will I be able to take them?

Edited by faithmd