Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Craziness from pre-op diet...is it just me?

I have to know if anyone else is experiencing any wierd side-effects from their pre-op diet. I started my pre-op diet two weeks ago (I started a week early because I thought I had to). It's just a low carb diet, I didn't think it would be a big deal. This has been the hardest week ever. I'm really not hungry, but I don't feel satisfied either. I just don't feel, right. I've been so irritated and well, bitchy for a few days now. I'm so weepy. Also, my T.O.M. was a week late. I know that might account for some of my moodiness, but it's not generally like this. It's been very painful and I've had headaches for days. I feel like my blood sugar is extremely low most of the time. Has anyone else felt like this after starting the diet? I feel like I'm going to go crazy if I don't have a cup of brown rice. I'm not missing the sodas or sugar, I just want a piece of bread! I know lots of people who do low-carb diets and don't feel weird. I've done low-carb before and don't remember feeling so edgy. Honestly, this was easier the first week than it is now.

Just for background: My surgeon prescribed low-carb diet consists of meat and eggs, any veggie except peas, corn and potatoes. No alcohol, bread, Pasta, rice or fried foods. I can have sugar free Jello and popsicles and skim milk. I can have Protein Shakes as long as they are less than 200 cal, at least 15 g of Protein, and less than 10 g carbs. I've been pretty much eating all of these things. I eat 3 meals per day as suggested. I drink lots of Water. I can also have any sugar free drink as long as it's not carbonated. I also take a Vitamin everyday as well as a Calcium supplement.

I hope those of you who are doing an all liquid diet don't hold this against me. I know an all liquid diet is extremely hard to do and I know I sound like a cry baby. I'm really not. I've been perfectly happy to do whatever it takes to get this done, but I really feel like I'm loosing it. I'm also getting really bad muscle cramps especially in my sides and stomach. I'm also not sleeping very well. I only have a week left and I will suck it up and do what I have to do, but I'm going crazy. Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.

Hey girl.

I feel THE SAME WAY! I started my low carb high Protein diet yesterday and my boyfriend took me out for fish last night and what does the waiter bring to the table? bread WITH OIL! I was so jealous watching him devour that yummy carb-liciousness.

I am tired, crabby and cranky, and this only DAY TWO!!! I can't imagine another 8 days. Already I'm sick of the salty foods. Yuck. I just want something sweet - I had a Vit. C drop today to get the sweet from it. Hopefully I'll do well.

We're SO CLOSE - we can do it!

Thank goodness!! I thought it was just me. I know I can make it through this, but I'm not sure if my family will be able to stand me that long!! :lol: My DH has been so great. Today he just hugged me and asked if there was anything he could do for me. He asked if I wanted him to go get the hot tub going so I could soak. Sweet. Or maybe he just thought I'd be out of the house and not crabbing at him for an hour! LOL Anyway, good luck! Let's stay in touch and help each other through this.

Yup, me too! I don't know what it is that is wrong with me either! I've been bitchy, irritable and just 'not right'. I'm not hungry (I'm on an all liquid diet of Protein shakes), but definitely feel like I'm missing something. My mouth is bored! But, it's almost over!

Hang in there...we can make it!

~C

Thanks for all of your responses. It helps just to know that someone else is out there and I'm not alone. A week ago I would have eaten a banana, but this close to surgery I'm paranoid. I'm afraid that anything I eat that's not on the list he will be able to look at my liver and tell. I know that's ridiculous, but I don't want my surgery cancelled because my liver is not shrunken enough or whatever. I'm a rule follower by nature. I'm kind of a freak about doing exactly what my surgeon has told me to do. You guys are right, we're almost there. We can do it!! If I can just get control of my emotions, I think I'll be okay. Good luck all! Keep in touch!

hey all, I am post op and on full liquids, I know the feeling of mouth boredom! Chew some gum! SF Popsicles are fabulous for the munchies too, makes you feel like you are cheating, but you aren't at all! I love the sf fudge pops they are yummie! If you are feeling light headed though...UP THE PROTEIN! and are you all on a multi? Make sure to take that multi it will help SO much!

Bea -

I feel the same way! Today I had 25 g of carbs and am SURE that he'll be able to tell (although they just said low carb high Protein but didn't give me an actual number!). My carbs came from an Atkins bar and veggies.

I was SO TIRED when I came home from work today - I keep thinking --- seven more days! A week from today I'll be getting ready for bed, and seven days and a wakeup and it'll be the BIG DAY!

PS: I made egg salad today with mayo (not Miracle Whip) and it was filling and yummy. Just a hint for something (maybe) different! :tongue: And I got Tyson's appetizers buffalo chicken wings - 1 carb per serving, 2 servings per box. That's different too!

Have a GREAT day tomorrow - we are SO CLOSE! :thumbup:

I have to know if anyone else is experiencing any wierd side-effects from their pre-op diet. I started my pre-op diet two weeks ago (I started a week early because I thought I had to). It's just a low carb diet, I didn't think it would be a big deal. This has been the hardest week ever. I'm really not hungry, but I don't feel satisfied either. I just don't feel, right. I've been so irritated and well, bitchy for a few days now. I'm so weepy. Also, my T.O.M. was a week late. I know that might account for some of my moodiness, but it's not generally like this. It's been very painful and I've had headaches for days. I feel like my blood sugar is extremely low most of the time. Has anyone else felt like this after starting the diet? I feel like I'm going to go crazy if I don't have a cup of brown rice. I'm not missing the sodas or sugar, I just want a piece of bread! I know lots of people who do low-carb diets and don't feel weird. I've done low-carb before and don't remember feeling so edgy. Honestly, this was easier the first week than it is now.

Just for background: My surgeon prescribed low-carb diet consists of meat and eggs, any veggie except peas, corn and potatoes. No alcohol, bread, Pasta, rice or fried foods. I can have sugar free Jello and popsicles and skim milk. I can have Protein shakes as long as they are less than 200 cal, at least 15 g of Protein, and less than 10 g carbs. I've been pretty much eating all of these things. I eat 3 meals per day as suggested. I drink lots of Water. I can also have any sugar free drink as long as it's not carbonated. I also take a Vitamin everyday as well as a Calcium supplement.

I hope those of you who are doing an all liquid diet don't hold this against me. I know an all liquid diet is extremely hard to do and I know I sound like a cry baby. I'm really not. I've been perfectly happy to do whatever it takes to get this done, but I really feel like I'm loosing it. I'm also getting really bad muscle cramps especially in my sides and stomach. I'm also not sleeping very well. I only have a week left and I will suck it up and do what I have to do, but I'm going crazy. Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.

Hey, by the way - where are you having your surgery!??!

I'm going to Denver! :thumbup: (Dr. Kirshenbaum!)

Nurse7263-I'm in Fort Worth. Dr. Adam Smith. I couldn't find the Tyson Buffalo Wings, but I did find some Tequila Lime that aren't cooked yet. Thought I'd throw those on the grill and try them. They're not breaded, just marinated. I'll let you know how they are. Had all my bloodwork today (12 viles!). I can't believe it's in a week! I've been waiting and waiting and now that it's here, I realize how much stuff I need to get done before the big day!

Also in case yall like Crystal Light, I just tried the Cherry Pomegranate. It's delicious! I also like the Blueberry White Tea. It sounds weird, but it's good and something different. I also found a Soup by Progresso, chicken Enchilada that is carb conscious. I haven't tried it yet, but one serving only has 8 carbs. I'm just looking for some different options to get me through this last week. Kinda loosing my mind!! :)

Have a great day!

I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way on the liquid diet! 6 days down and 18 days to go! We can do this... I can do this! =)

6 days down and 18 days to go! We can do this... I can do this! =)

24 days?!? Gracious! You are my hero!

I'm thinking about doing my last week on the liquid diet as it's actually a diet more suited to me, I think. I can have any kind of Soup, low sugar/fat free yogurt, Protein shakes, s/f f/f pudding, low fat cottage cheese, broth, sugar free popsicles, etc. The yogurt and pudding are what sound good right now. I told my DH this and he said "well, then you'll start to crave meat"! Probably true. I'm just worried about my fat intake. It's very hard to eat low carb and really low fat as well. I'm just so paranoid that my liver won't be the right size or something. Also, I'm not really loosing any weight. A lot of people loose a few pounds during this time. Of course, I'm not gaining either, but....I'm freakin out!

Im really glad that you are talking :rolleyes2:about the first week after bandind My surgery is scheduled for MAy 13th i am kind of nervous but very excited about the insurance company approving my surgery.