Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Approved record time BCBS!

I am so glad I have read this post. Have not started the 6 month, suppervised, weight loss yet. I am getting nervous just waiting for that.

You have the same insurance company? I had heard my insurance was awesome about not jerking people around but ok course you never really believe it.

I will be there spokesperson right now if they need me OMG!

Ok so I am trying my best not to just freak out and run around in circles screaming with excitement. This will probably be a very long post as I want to get it off my chest :wink2:

I started checking into LB about 2 years ago. I knew my insurance wouldn't pay so I was like crud and I thought I can do this myself sheesh how hard could it be to lose 100 pounds! haha

I lost 52 pounds and then thought I could take on the world! I then quit smoking and decided that eating was more fun than the cig addiction and proceeded to pack on the 52 pounds again! Then my company switched insurance to BCBS of Minnesota... This is the best thing that happened to me. We switched in Sept of 07 and by 10/07 I was scheduling 6 appts for the nutrition counselor, attending seminars, and meeting with the surgeon.

I was well informed ahead of time before switching insurance so I was on the ball the minute we switched. I cannot thank my company enough for changing.

I submitted for pre auth on 4/3 and within a day and a 1/2 I was given authorization and a surgery date!

I will be banded on 4/23 now I have a BMI of 44 with no comorbities. I will be banding at Sacred Heart Bariatric Center Eugene, Oregon by Dr. Umbach. Thankfully no preop diet since i lost more than 10 pounds.

Get out..... now that is amazing...I hope i get mine that fast......:thumbup::biggrin::tongue::biggrin:

I was told by my BCBS of Michigan that they will not pre-authorize Lap Band. My doctors have to have everything in place and will send it in and I pray that BCBS pays for the surgery. The office said not to worry that they deal with BCBS of MI all the time and they know what needs to be sent in and we have almost everything and will be ready to go on May 8th. Whether they pay or not I am in this for the long haul and will just have to pay monthly payments till the $16,500 is paid off.

I started in April 2007 under Cigna. Let me just say they suck! I had high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, hypothyroidism and taking medication for all of them. Not to mention a history of blood clots. And 100 pounds over weight! They denied me. Had to do the whole 6 month supervised diet by a doctor and a nutritionist. Then had to have all kinds of blood work. It was crazy. Finally in December I was able to resubmit and they approved it. Wouldnt you know it -- my company got sold on 12/21 and our insurance changed. I thought for sure I would have to start all over again. Luckily we got BCBS of California. It was a blessing. My surgery was approved the same day they sent in. I had my surgery on 3/4 and am already down 25 pounds!! It was so worth the wait!!!!:thumbup:

I started in April 2007 under Cigna. Let me just say they suck! I had high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, hypothyroidism and taking medication for all of them. Not to mention a history of blood clots. And 100 pounds over weight! They denied me. Had to do the whole 6 month supervised diet by a doctor and a nutritionist. Then had to have all kinds of blood work. It was crazy. Finally in December I was able to resubmit and they approved it. Wouldnt you know it -- my company got sold on 12/21 and our insurance changed. I thought for sure I would have to start all over again. Luckily we got BCBS of California. It was a blessing. My surgery was approved the same day they sent in. I had my surgery on 3/4 and am already down 25 pounds!! It was so worth the wait!!!!:rolleyes:

You had a great outcome though and the hard work paid off :redface: I am very happy for you!

Brandy.....Thanks for all the info I am so excited for you! I am also in Oregon, Bend and I am hopefully having mine in June (that's when we will submit to insurance) I am so tired of doctor's appointments, I had to have 6 months supervised diet, sleep study, EKG, Labs, Ultrasound, Endoscopy, Psych Evaluation and finally Nutriton Eval......Oh my gosh I stress about doctor's appointments and if I am gonna get approved, I am breaking out in zits and my nervous habit is to chew on my fingers, I AM FREAKING OUT! Please tell me until you were approved you were doing the same!

Brandy.....Thanks for all the info I am so excited for you! I am also in Oregon, Bend and I am hopefully having mine in June (that's when we will submit to insurance) I am so tired of doctor's appointments, I had to have 6 months supervised diet, sleep study, EKG, Labs, Ultrasound, Endoscopy, Psych Evaluation and finally Nutriton Eval......Oh my gosh I stress about doctor's appointments and if I am gonna get approved, I am breaking out in zits and my nervous habit is to chew on my fingers, I AM FREAKING OUT! Please tell me until you were approved you were doing the same!

I have to be the most impatient person in the world... I don't know how I made it. I was a complete nervous wreck... I figured once I did all that I would be told oops sorry you're denied.... I was absolutely over the moon when I got the call. I had to do the 6 month diet and phsyc eval for my insurance... However, the surgeon required an addition 3 hours of food counseling, blood work twice, EKG, lose 5-10 pounds, seminar etc... I completed all these about 1 per month during the 6 month diet to keep me busy and checking things off the list. While I was doing it I really felt like it was going to all be in vain but really the outcome was so worth it. I have a pre op next week and thats it before surgery..... estatic truely estatic.

I wish everyone luck I hope their process is as easy if not easier than mine.

P.s I don't have any nails left thats my reward for 25 pounds lost after LB haha

Congrats!!!!!

I have Highmark BCBS and they are requiring me to do the 6 months with a dietitian. Did you have to do that too? I go for the first seminar next Thursday.

That is soooo great. I have BCBS in NY and I hope they are as quick as that.

Where are you having your surgery?

When I called my surgeons office to make an initial appt they took my insurance info, the girl called back to tell me I have great insurance, no copay no deductible, no pre requisites. I had my consult last Wed, and they were going to submit my preauth Thursday or Friday. I am now impatiently waiting for a call back from the doctor. I am sooooo paranoid and worried the insurance company told her something in error!!! I am so afraid to call myself..I don't want bad news :biggrin: Hopefully I will hear back early this week. BTW...I have BCBS of IL.

Congrats!!!!!

I have Highmark BCBS and they are requiring me to do the 6 months with a dietitian. Did you have to do that too? I go for the first seminar next Thursday.

Yes , I had to do the 6 month diet... very easy tho and time went very fast.

Does anyone have Empire BCBS of Ny? If yes, how soon were you approved?

Does anyone have Empire BCBS of Ny? If yes, how soon were you approved?

I do. Well, technically we have their national plan but it is all administered the same. I was approved either the day my information was submitted or the day after. I'm not sure what day the surgeon's office actually sent it in. A nurse manager called me on the afternoon of Jan. 30th and approved me over the phone that day.