Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Lap Band vs Gastric Bypass

From a man's point of view why did you choose the Lap Band over Gastric Bypass surgery? I am in the first stages and will attend seminar at Barix Clinic in Langhorne Pa. 04/23/08. I am leaning towards the Lap Band as I can't seem to wrap my head around the process of BYpass surgery. Are there other reasons for choosing Lap Band?

Gastric bypass is a problem for all the reasons Jack mentioned. The mortality is significant, particularly in the very obese, and, while weight loss is faster, there is some question as to whether or not it's any better than with lap banding - which has all the advantages Jack mentioned.

in and out of the hospital in the same day - very quick recovery. yes, everything Jack mentioned. It just seemed to make more sense to me. No "dumping syndrome" whatever the heck that is...

From a man's point of view why did you choose the Lap Band over Gastric Bypass surgery? I am in the first stages and will attend seminar at Barix Clinic in Langhorne Pa. 04/23/08. I am leaning towards the Lap Band as I can't seem to wrap my head around the process of BYpass surgery. Are there other reasons for choosing Lap Band?

In addition to the reasons already mentioned, gastric bypass is linked to Iron, Vitamin B12, folate, Calcium, and Vitamin D deficiency requiring patients to take Vitamin supplements for life.

With that being said, the overall effectiveness of gastric bypass is better than gastric banding. Gastric Bypass patients on average lose about 15% more of their excess body weight than gastric banding patients.

From the Journal of American Medical Asssociation found here

Bariatric Surgery: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis

The mean (95% confidence interval) percentage of excess weight loss was 61.2% (58.1%-64.4%) for all patients; 47.5% (40.7%-54.2%) for patients who underwent gastric banding; 61.6% (56.7%-66.5%), gastric bypass; 68.2% (61.5%-74.8%), gastroplasty; and 70.1% (66.3%-73.9%), biliopancreatic diversion or duodenal switch.

I never even consider the RnY surgery. I did not like the cutting involved with the digestive system. Not to mention the dumping syndrome, the malnutrition and numerous other complications.

But, most importantly, the lapband gave me control over what happened with the weight loss. If I get to my goal and can't maintain, I can have the lb adjusted. Can't do that with the RnY. And, it can be reversed if something goes wrong. Can't do that with RnY either.

I think everyone has hit it all dead on.

I never really seriously considered RNY. If it were that or nothing, I would have continued to try and lose it myself (and probably failed). I don't feel that 1:200 chances of death were good IMO.

Do what is right for you. research and figure out what fits you. My wife had gastric bypass and has done well. A year and 3 months later I had lapband. Why, because I did not want my insides rearranged. Just me and how I felt. I tried to keep up with my wife on my own and could not. After much soul searching and research I decided lapband would work for me. I had it done May 13th after 2 weeks before on liquids and now 2 weeks after on liquids I have dropped 30 pounds. I know this will slow down but a nice start to make up for just having liquids. I know eating right will be the key but one thing I have noticed about my wife if we do eat someting like pizza she has a few bites and is done. Enjoyed what she had and sastified. I look forward to that. To have a little and be sastifed sound great. Why do I need 1/2 a 16" pizza to be sastified? As they say " nothing tastes as good as thin"

Well I chose lap band over GBP because I guess I'm a little too knowledgeable about the whole digestive tract. I also knew someone who passed away due to complications from GBP and that REALLY turned me off of it. Lap band is just so much better for your body and helps just as much. Of course it takes a little more effort to loose the weight, but this weight loss is just as much mental as it is physical so you gotta get fit mentally too!

During my pre-op discussion with the surgeon, he said it all.

I don't change GOD's plumbing, I just squeeze it.

There is a reason your digestive system is the way it is. Using a band to help you feel more full while allowing your body to work the was it was designed is always better.

There is a reason your digestive system is the way it is. Using a band to help you feel more full while allowing your body to work the was it was designed is always better.

HA! That is a great quote!

This is a highly personal choice. I did not want to have my insides rearranged and I had a great fear of something going wrong. Since my weight problem had to do with binging the lap band was the way for me to go.

Good luck with your research.

i love this quote it is great. i totally agree. i did lap band because of the advantages of not haveing a more evasive surgical proceedure. for a food adict like myself i think this is the best way to go.

I won't consider RnY unless I am a total failure on the Lap Band, for all of the reasons mentioned above.