Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

perfect fill then NO restriction? -- i've gained back 5 lbs! :(

:lol::)

hi all. it's been a long time since i've posted... i lurk around sometimes, but have to ask for help at this point. i was banded almost 2 1/2 hours ago. started at 225, lowest i've been is 144, and in the last month or so i have gained back about 5 pounds. about two months ago i had a GREAT fill, super good for about two weeks. then, boom, felt like i could eat anything if i wanted to. i didn't, but apparently that whole "restriction" thing works, because since i don't have any currently, i'm gaining. i'm eating. i feel like i'm starving half of the time. i haven't felt this mentally weak and out of control since right after the band, when we go through all the adjustments in the mental and physical changes.

what i'm worried about is this... just had another fill a week ago, NO CHANGE whatsoever. my fill guy is telling me he wants to eek up slowly now, but i'm like "where did that restriction go?" where did this five pounds come from? i asked him if it's possible to stretch my stomache/pouch, and he (surprisingly) has said no, it's virtually impossible, as the top of the stomach is NOT like the lower stomache, which is what stretches when we overeat/gain weight. i'm confused on this. people "say" the pouch/stomache can stretch, but where is the literature that says yes or no. i am thinking that's the only reason i could possibly go from very restricted to nothing to gaining to my currently being all bummed out.

i get more and more nervous with each fill, which is odd... because i've had so many adjustments at this point. my fill person tells me i'm almost at capacity (4cc band). i'm freaking out! honestly, if this is as low as i'm going to go, i can live with that, but gaining, I CANNOT! help!! thoughts, suggestions? i need something advice... Thanks for listening. - a

Here's my suggestion: make out a food diery of what you are eating and how much of it. That will help you figure out if there is an issue with diet. Next look at Water intake. Thirid, be firm with your fill guy, tell him what you want and that you are concerned. I hope this helps

thank you for the advice. i know i need to do the food diary again, and i started today. my big conern though is that i feel like i don't even have a band, no restriction, i've even tried (just to see) to swallow something not completely chewed, and it goes. i'm stressin. seeing the doc again on tuesday.

i'm just curious...Is there any possibility that your saline pouch on your band got a hole in it, and the saline leaked out? When you told your doc you had great restriction, then it all went away, did he even consider this? Is it unlikely BUT possible that your band can spring a leak?

one thing my doc does before adding new fill is pull out all that is in band and measure it make sure no leaking .

are you sure of size of band mines fill is up to 5.8

but at last i'm having that same type of trouble last two fills not lasting long , doc now fills it to where can't swallow Water then takes a hair out.

first fill did't do anything so went back within the week to get more till it started to work .

some insurance have agreements with doctors all fills in 90 days of surgery is part of post surgery follow ups, no extra billing for fills till after the 90 days.

hopes some thing helps.

think a lot of the weight lose will be your band and will power, i don't think the band can do it a lone , like myself

will power was weak or never would been so big.

have lost 78lbs since 12-26-07 but now band not helping much right

now mabe it's time to see doc again.

I had 7.5ccs and had great restriction. One day I had none! Went to the Dr, He pulled out 4cc of Fluid and 2.5cc of air??????????? Where the hell did the air come from? Anyway, he filled me to 5ccs and so far it is OK, not great but OK. I have a problem with head hunger, more than anything else. Night time is the worst~

Ughhh...same thing is happening to me. I had to get my band loosened due to some reflux issues b/c of viatiams I was not supposed to be taking. But I had amazing restriction, then I went back to the doctor to get it filled. I am .2 CC over of where I was before the unfill and there is no restriction. I feel it a little bit but then it pushes through and I can eat more. I had a barium swallow before my unfill and everything was fine with the band. And I feel fine, not like there was a slippage or anything. Doc fixed hatial hernia when I got the band and they pull out Fluid everytime they do a fill so they know how much is in there. Can your band slip when you are loosened??? I have gained 10 lbs and buggin! In August it will be a year that I have the band, I have 50 lbs to go still! I hope there is no probelms because I hate surgery :lol: I am training for a triathlon which is requiring at least 2 hour workouts a day...do you think this has anything to do with my hunger levels and the band not staying tight?:embaressed_smile:

I've had so many problems with fills, this seems like such a game and I'm sick of playing. I got a hernia from being overfilled, and believe me you know it because it hurts really bad (and I had a small one). Apparently the large part of the stomach tries to sneak through the band to the small side and it's very bad. No food will fit through the band but more important it can be very dangerous because of infection, this is according to my doctor. So I had an emergency unfill and have been monitored for 2 months with floroscopes. In the two months with no restriction I have gained 10 pounds! So I put myself on Doctor Atkins Diet just so I don't gain anymore weight. I go for the start of the roller coaster fill ride on the 15th.:redface:

You know this is weird too, my doctor said that he doesnt pull all the Fluid out to check Fluid levels anymore because all the fluid never really comes out. Has anyone heard of this before? :)

i'm just curious...Is there any possibility that your saline pouch on your band got a hole in it, and the saline leaked out? When you told your doc you had great restriction, then it all went away, did he even consider this? Is it unlikely BUT possible that your band can spring a leak?

yes, my band has a leak. it needs to be replaced. i'm really upset about it, and hope this situation gets resolved soon. i wish i would have seen your response sooner... i just got this info last weekend. totally makes sense that there was a leak. and poof... there it is!

I've had so many problems with fills, this seems like such a game and I'm sick of playing. I got a hernia from being overfilled, and believe me you know it because it hurts really bad (and I had a small one). Apparently the large part of the stomach tries to sneak through the band to the small side and it's very bad. No food will fit through the band but more important it can be very dangerous because of infection, this is according to my doctor. So I had an emergency unfill and have been monitored for 2 months with floroscopes. In the two months with no restriction I have gained 10 pounds! So I put myself on Doctor Atkins Diet just so I don't gain anymore weight. I go for the start of the roller coaster fill ride on the 15th.:lol:

You know this is weird too, my doctor said that he doesnt pull all the Fluid out to check Fluid levels anymore because all the fluid never really comes out. Has anyone heard of this before? :thumbup:

my guy doesn't pull all out to check before a fill either... clearly if he had done this, he would have seen there was NOTHING in my band. so... months now with NOTHING in the band. I'm wide open, and who knows how long it will be before i can get a replacement band. grr.

Thats such a good point! He would have seen it was empty had he pulled out the saline. Man it's so complicated.

so true... oddly enough, he did do some pressure tests, and there's always good back-pressure. cross your fingers for me. i need a miracle to get this band replaced for free by inamed. :thumbup: