Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After surgery check in for Avengers!

Congrats to all on your continued quick recovery.

Natasha, if you don't mind my asking........ I had gall bladder surgery several years ago too, I was curious if there was any difficulty on your surgery due to scar tissue or if it effected it at all?

I don't think it really had an effect.

The scars are in different places. The gall bladder suregery had a scar in near the belly button and around the lower stomach...with only a few upper incisions.

The lapband incisions are all at least one inch above the belly button and much easier to deal with that the GB incisions. For example, I can wear jeans and the waistband doesnt hit any of the incisions.

I doubt it would make a difference...I'm sure the Surgeon would have mentioned it if it was an issue.:purplebananna:

Hi fellow April Avengers,

I had my surgery on Friday 4/4 and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I had to be at the hospital at 6:30 am and I went to the OR around 8:45 or so. During that time I changed into a gown, met with my doctor, anesthesia, and the OR crew. My nurse was excellent-got my IV in one stick. They were all fantastic. I had some IV medication to help me relax just before going to the or. I remember moving to the OR table and breathing in the oxygen. Surprisingly, I also remember waking up and the trip to the recovery room. I was a little nauseated and I got something for that. Once I was in recovery I was wide awake. I felt great...but I could tell that I had had surgery. My belly was a little sore and very distended. I looked at my lap sites. I have 3 little ones and one longer one where the port is. I had to stay in recovery for 6 hours while I waited for my room to be ready. My surgeon insisted that I stay overnight in the hospital, even though I was feeling so good. While I was in recovery I went to radiology for the upper GI. That was probably the most unpleasant part of my hospital stay. The contrast that I had to drink was nasty! I had to drink it lying down, on my left side, and on my right side. Fortunately I passed with flying colors. The other thing that was annoying was the dry mouth and only being able to drink Water an ounce at a time. I felt like I could have chugged a gallon, but of course you're not allowed to have that much. I sipped my tiny cups of Water and tried to savor them. I wasn't nauseated and they started me on full liquids for dinner that night. When I got to my room the head nurse hooked me up to the heart monitor and she told me that my surgery had been telecasted live to some surgeons at the University of Maryland. She also watched it and said that I was only under anesthesia for about 15-20 minutes. Apparently it went very well and was very easy. That night I walked about every 2 hours and felt great. I took percocet and toradol for pain and really didn't have much at all. I got to go home about noon the next day. Today (2 days post op) I have been a lot more sore, but I've also been doing some very light chores around my house. Still, the percocet has helped and I've rested when I needed to. The hardest part is getting up and down from sitting. Keep a small pillow close by to splint against your belly. My son bought me a small stuffed giraffe in the hospital gift shop. It fits perfectly against my left side. It's amazing how much better it feels when you put a little pressure against it. I fortunately have not had much problem with gas. I've passed a lot of it and it really does feel like chest pain when it's pushing on your diaphragm. Walking helps a lot. Don't sit more than you have to once you go home. I've also been sleeping in my recliner. It's just more comfortable. I hope this helps all of you who are looking forward to getting your band soon. Yes, I have been sore...yes, I do have weird rumblings in my belly....and yes, I have had to learn to drink very, very slowly. However, I don't regret this one bit. I am looking forward to the next chapter of my life. I'm ready to face this new challenge and see it through to completion. Best of luck to the Avengers scheduled for surgery this month. I hope it goes well for you.

Kim

I was banded on April 4th. Today is the first day that I have really felt better. The gas pain is the worse. Like every one else, the key is walking, walking, walking. I have the same gurgling sound, but I am not hungry. I can not get all the liquids in. I weighed and was so disappointed. I had gained 2 lbs. I am hoping it is just gas though. I know it can't be what I am eating because the most I have had to eat was a half cup of cream of chicken Soup and 2 sf fudgesicles. Glad to hear everyone is getting better and good luck to all of you who are having surgery soon!

Congrats to all on your continued quick recovery.

Natasha, if you don't mind my asking........ I had gall bladder surgery several years ago too, I was curious if there was any difficulty on your surgery due to scar tissue or if it effected it at all?

I had my gullbladder out 4 years ago and Lapband 4/4...the cuts for the lapband are different then the gullbladder, both were done laproscopically and one didn't bother the other.

Glad to hear you are all doing better. Keep walking and sipping!

Tomorrow's my day and I can't wait to be on the losers bench with all of you!

I was banded on April 4th. Today is the first day that I have really felt better. The gas pain is the worse. Like every one else, the key is walking, walking, walking. I have the same gurgling sound, but I am not hungry. I can not get all the liquids in. I weighed and was so disappointed. I had gained 2 lbs. I am hoping it is just gas though. I know it can't be what I am eating because the most I have had to eat was a half cup of cream of chicken Soup and 2 sf fudgesicles. Glad to hear everyone is getting better and good luck to all of you who are having surgery soon!

At the pre-op appointment, they told us to stay off the scales for at least a week after surgery as we would likely gain weight. They are pushing lots of IV fluids which increase your weight greatly...

Well, I made it through surgery! They said surgery was only 45 minutes and everything went really good. I have my gallbladder taken out last August, and this surgery/recovery has been day and night from the gallbladders surgery. I mean lapband was much less painful, no nausea, definitely been up walking...

I can't tell if I'm hungry or is the feeling is the gurgling feeling you are talking about, or possibly the gas pains. I really haven't had much gas pain. I did stay the night at the hopsital, and walked the halls every hour.

I did start full liquids just an hour ago. I had some chicken broth. I'm looking forward to a proten shake. I know that will help with any hunger I might be experiencing as well. But, I stopped eating at 6:30 Sunday night, and only ate about 500 calories on Sunday, approximately 10 calories total yesterday and so far today, I would say 50 calories. So, I really do think I'm hungry. So far, no regrets!

I haven't updated my ticker, but I was down 15 pounds from the 2 week liquid diet. :thumbs_up:

ebowling...you need to up those calories girlie! that's a good way to get yourself sick. chicken broth, sf Jello, sf pops, beef broth, diluted juices (half Water half juice), get those calories in. If you aren't getting calories from the "foods" then you need to switch to diluted juices to get some calories in, your body will have a major crash on 50 calories a day!

I had surgery on the 4th. I stayed in the hospital for 23 hours and was grateful for that. I had quite of bit of gas pain in my rib cage and shoulder/shoulder blade area. I still have some pain in my shoulder blades. The gas pain was the worst part of the process. In the hospital they gave me pain meds IV so that controlled the problem. I did feel some hunger yesterday so I had some Soup. I am not able to drink very much right now so I just try to sip constantly.

My Doctor says I can go back to work as soon as I feel up to it. I have this week off but have considered going back to work this week.

Thanks for letting us know how you all did...tomorrow's the day for me to, and now I'm getting nervous... After all these months of planning, now that the day is coming, I'm wondering if I have gotten everything I'm supposed to have, what I should pack tonight, etc. Not looking forward to pain, etc!

p3photogal: I completely agree, if I don't up my calories, I will get sick. My surgeon's offic did give me good information as to when I can change phases. Tomorrow, I will be going to full liquids, so I'll fit in several shakes to get my Protein for the day.

I will definitely be upping my calories tomorrow. I will mix in some broth and juices this evening as well.

Thanks for letting us know how you all did...tomorrow's the day for me to, and now I'm getting nervous... After all these months of planning, now that the day is coming, I'm wondering if I have gotten everything I'm supposed to have, what I should pack tonight, etc. Not looking forward to pain, etc!

I'm with you Lizalee 8 am tomorrow 4/9. I feel the same way, what am I forgetting, how long will I have to stay, etc. Keep us posted on your big day

For me there was really no pain involved, and what was there was easily taken away by the pain meds. They like to keep your pain under a 5 max at all time. My pain was NEVER over a 5. Walk walk walk, even if they don't come to get you, call the CNA and ask to go walking. Cranberry juice if you can't pee on your own after the catheter works wonders! I can't tell you how long you will be there, I do know that my mini dvd player was a GODSEND! I got bored watching TV so I brought some of my favorite movies, robe, crocks (easy to slide on and oh so comfy!), tooth brush, tooth paste, comfy clothes to come home in, cpap if you have one, CHAPSTICK!, med list, a book if you are a reader, pillow for the ride home. I knocked out the WHOLE way home! haha, they gave me one dose of liquid oxycodone before I left and i was snoozin about 10 minutes into the ride with my tummy protected from the seatbelt by my pillow. Didn't feel a thing. No problems what so ever. Good luck, God bless and relax! you will do great and you will come out knowing you have made the best decision for you for the rest of your life!

Wow, thanks so much for sharing. I am having my surgery on the 11th at 1 pm. I am excited. To everyone having surgery tomorrow, Thursday and Friday, you are in my prayers. Can someone tell me how to get the April Avengers thingy ma bobbie on my screen?

Just wanted to let you all know: my surgery was textbook, was up and walking within 3 hours, walked several "hall laps" the first night, walked as much as possible the next day, by the third day hiked up to a waterfall, just took it slow and steady...but that was a 5 hour outing..by the fourth day I was at the top of a mountain, about a 3 hour day...by the 5th day I flew home. So, I know its different for everyone, but in case anyone is wondering, it is possible to have a surgery and a vacation all in the same week! :rolleyes: I just got bored in my hotel, and my DH wanted to see all this stuff...anyhow, I really seemed to feel better while walking or moving than I did when laying down...its like laying down brought on the gas and pain, so I just kept moving. Things are feeling pretty fine now, but I am glad to be home!