Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Check in Febsters!

I haven't posted in forever!! I hope everyone is doing well!!

I went for my first fill at the end of March, but the doctor said I was losing well, and he didn't want to do one. He did tell me that I already had 3 cc's in my band from when he did my surgery on 2/27/08.

I did make an appointment with him for next Wednesday to get a fill. I'm still losing, but very slowly. For over 2 weeks, the scales didn't budge. I am thankful that I haven't gained, though.

I am experiencing hunger pains. My stomach growled so loudly in church last Sunday that I was embarrassed!!

I've lost 41.5 pounds, but 18 of those pounds were lost before I was banded.

I guess I just wish the weight would "fall off" faster. Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't have gotten gastric bypass surgery...

:ohmy:Oh no!! Please don't feel like you have made a mistake in getting your lapband! My digestive disease doctor told me that he would never recommend the bypass surgery! This is his own opinion and I feel he would be very knowledgeable. He is young and up to date on all the new variations available in the medical field. When I asked him about my liver problems and weight loss being one of the factors that would help it I just mentioned bypass surgery and he just about flipped. He said he has seen patients that has this surgery as far back as 1982 and now he is trying to help get them back on track! I agree with Kjeter and Jax..get to your doctor and insist he add just a bit more restriction. I myself am not losing weight as fast as I'd like but I do know the inches are rapidly coming off and I have only had 2 fills. Like my lapband doctor suggested, let's go slow and easy. Being older I agree with him because my skin does not have the elasticity that a younger woman or man would have and going slower helps me keep from getting to saggy too soon! Never feel that you have made a bad decision! You have made the right one and the most healthy choice! Please cheer up and don't get down on yourself. Talk to your doc and let him know what you are feeling! Hang in there and let us know how everything goes!:thumbup:

I haven't checked in here in ages, so I thought I'd say hi to my fellow Febsters.

So far, so good. I am down 39 pounds as of today. I definitely see it, not only on the scale, but in my face, waist and stomach. But I am impatient to get it off, like we all are. I have to remind myself that this is a huge accomplishment.

Next Tuesday is my three-month "bandiversary." I have been using SparkPeople to track my food and exercise. I joined a bootcamp there that started on Sunday, so now it's 30 mins of cardio 5 days a week and a 10 minute workout video every day.

I have my third fill scheduled in about two weeks. I anticipate needing it; my last fill was 3/18 and the restriction is definitely waning. But eating this way has become pretty much second nature to me now. I still don't have any foods I avoid completely (except for popcorn and soda). I still eat in restaurants, I just make different choices and always have leftovers. It doesn't feel like a diet at all.

I guess that's it, hope all are well!

:biggrin2: Hey Chrysalis! Sounds like you're going GREAT!!! I too am due for my third fill. I don't know if the doc will give it to me but we'll see!:smile2: I do the same with the diet that you do. I still enjoy a night out or even a luncheon once in a while and always bring back food! I don't remember ever being able to say that before!! :smile: Tell me this isn't a dream??!!:smile: Keep up the good work!!:w00t:

hey double v's

been out of town on vacation and i lost 2 lbs....never happened before on vacation! i too love being able to go out to dinner and have 1 meal last for 2 or 3 separate meals....boy am i becoming a cheap date

peabody

I hear you Queen of Hearts! So glad that you're doing great too! I must admit that after reading everything here about some people who can basically never eat certain foods, I was worried...but I decided that I would rather be healthy than be able to eat bread, you know? So far, I am so glad that I am able to still eat everything, just in much smaller quantities. And I feel so empowered -- it's like something clicked in my brain that never did before. So happy! :thumbup:

Hey fellow Double V's..

I haven't checked in awhile either. After my third fill a couple of weeks ago, I FINALLY got some restriction!:thumbup: It's been so great. I'm down 11 pounds since that fill and 38 total. People are really starting to notice and my size 16w jeans are too big:thumbup:. I was feeling really discouraged before this last fill. I had no restriction, wasn't losing, and like many of us second guessing the band. So, for those of you going thru BANDSTER HELL, please hang in there and know that the band DOES work it just takes some time. I'm sure my restriction will ease up over the next couple of weeks, but now instead of getting discouraged, I will know that another fill will get me where I need to be. So, I'm feeling pretty darn good right now and am even dabbling with the idea of taking some progress pics:redface:. Thanks to all of you for letting me share my up's and down's (literally) and know that the support here has been a huge part of my success!!

Oh and Rhapsody.....haven't heard from you in awhile darlin'!! Are ya still swimming!!!:biggrin:

-Amy

Hey Amy! :hurray: And hiyas my fellow double V's!

I'm here and still swimming! Doing good, losing slowly, but's it's all good as long as the scale is moving in the right direction. I haven't had as much time for the computer lately, been crazy busy at home with projects around the house and in the yard.

Amy, you've lost the same amount of weight as me! :Dancing_wub: Sadly a size 16 is still a dream for me, 214 pounds on a 5' 2" body is still too much for that, but I'm working on it, and feeling great with my progress! My second fill has given me some restriction - I swallowed a piece of fish that wasn't chewed enough, and oh boy, I felt the bandster initiation! :tt1: It didn't come back up, but it did get stuck for about a minute, and I was really surprised at how much "slime"/saliva you can make in that one minute, LOL! Bleh. I hope this is not TMI, just the truth of bandster life. Since then I've reeeeally slowed down my chewing and have been really paying attention to bite sizes and such. I know, I should have been doing that all along, but one forgets every now and again, yanno? :hurray: I am still hungry a lot, so I'm not sure what I'm gonna tell my doc at my next fill visit (May 28th), whether to push for just a small fill or leave it, since something got stuck. I really would like to be less hungry, but I don't want to be super-tight either. It seems the sweet-spot is very close!

Ok sorry to ramble on here . . . I do hope all of my fellow Victorious Valentines are doing well . . . please keep in touch, and just keep swimming! (or walking, running, biking, etc., etc. :Dancing_wub:).

*Warm HUGS!*

Hey Amy! :thumbup: And hiyas my fellow double V's!

I'm here and still swimming! Doing good' date=' losing slowly, but's it's all good as long as the scale is moving in the right direction. I haven't had as much time for the computer lately, been crazy busy at home with projects around the house and in the yard.

Amy, you've lost the same amount of weight as me! :hurray: Sadly a size 16 is still a dream for me, 214 pounds on a 5' 2" body is still too much for that, but I'm working on it, and feeling great with my progress! My second fill has given me some restriction - I swallowed a piece of fish that wasn't chewed enough, and oh boy, I felt the bandster initiation! :tt1: It didn't come back up, but it did get stuck for about a minute, and I was really surprised at how much "slime"/saliva you can make in that one minute, LOL! Bleh. I hope this is not TMI, just the truth of bandster life. Since then I've reeeeally slowed down my chewing and have been really paying attention to bite sizes and such. I know, I should have been doing that all along, but one forgets every now and again, yanno? :party: I am still hungry a lot, so I'm not sure what I'm gonna tell my doc at my next fill visit (May 28th), whether to push for just a small fill or leave it, since something got stuck. I really would like to be less hungry, but I don't want to be super-tight either. It seems the sweet-spot is very close!

Ok sorry to ramble on here . . . I do hope all of my fellow Victorious Valentines are doing well . . . please keep in touch, and just keep swimming! (or walking, running, biking, etc., etc. :Dancing_wub:).

*Warm HUGS!*[/quote']

Hey Rhapsody! Honey, you are describing that feeling of sliming to a tee! I have had that happen one to many times and it's amazing how fast you back up and regroup to keep from suffering those pains isn't it!:lol: I am going slower than a lot of the double V's, but like you, I don't see a size 16 on my person for quite a while yet! :thumbup: But that's ok..I know it will come..but just a bit slower! I had my doc put a bit more in me on my second fill and I'm due the 15th for my third but I don't know how much if any he will add to it because I feel pretty tight and really don't want to cut everything off just to keep from getting those pressure pains in my chest..if ya know what I mean!! :Dancing_wub: Good to see you had a chance to let us know you're doing GREAT!!:hurray:

I hear you Queen of Hearts! So glad that you're doing great too! I must admit that after reading everything here about some people who can basically never eat certain foods, I was worried...but I decided that I would rather be healthy than be able to eat bread, you know? So far, I am so glad that I am able to still eat everything, just in much smaller quantities. And I feel so empowered -- it's like something clicked in my brain that never did before. So happy! :tt1:

Hey Chrysalis! Same here..get to eat just about anything. Doc just wanted me to keep portions to 1/2c..not to worry about calories, but watch the carbs. I am losing..slowly but better than gaining any day!:Dancing_wub: I am only a little afraid of DRIED CHICKEN!! Had to many episodes with that but everything else is ok..even steak..but it has to be chewed a little longer than the rest of my foods and I don't even think about bread anymore. I have found that I can eat some crackers but limit myself to just 2 per meal if I have tuna or chicken. I even eat those baked tortilla chips once in a while just to feel my mouth crunch on some foods! I never really thought I would miss crunching but since I've been banded I have tried to make sure all my meats are soft and veggies the same. So by having everything in the quiet food mode I will get 3 or 4 of those chips once or twice a week and just crunch them and have never had any bad reactions from them! All of the VV's appear to be doing so good and when I read how everyone is now getting their fills and losing more and more you can just see the enthusiasm in their writings! Like yours!! :biggrin2: Keep up the good work and you will remain EMPOWERED!:Dancing_wub: That's a great word!:hurray:

Hey fellow "Febsters",

I just found out about this site this week and I love it. I was banded on Feb. 12th, had my first fill 6 weeks later and had MINIMAL restriction, if any. Just reading through your entries has been a great support for me--knowing that other people are feeling the same frustrations and joys in the whole "band lifestyle". Finally, this past Wed., I had my 2nd fill (now at 4.5cc in 10cc band). What a huge difference--I have dropped 4 pounds since. I have finally hit the 20 pound mark! Up until this point, I had not gotten sick or even nauseated. However, the past few days I have (probably out of habit) not chewed good enough and suffered the consequences! Also, I have noticed some discomfort in my left shoulder area and my stomach is growling loudly (even though I don't feel hungry). Has anyone else had any of these issues? I figured it is just part transitioning to what I can and cannot comfortably eat with a tighter band. How do you know if it is too tight though?:tt1:

Wishing everyone a relaxing and enjoyable Mother's Day:teeth_smile:

Hey fellow "Febsters",

I just found out about this site this week and I love it. I was banded on Feb. 12th, had my first fill 6 weeks later and had MINIMAL restriction, if any. Just reading through your entries has been a great support for me--knowing that other people are feeling the same frustrations and joys in the whole "band lifestyle". Finally, this past Wed., I had my 2nd fill (now at 4.5cc in 10cc band). What a huge difference--I have dropped 4 pounds since. I have finally hit the 20 pound mark! Up until this point, I had not gotten sick or even nauseated. However, the past few days I have (probably out of habit) not chewed good enough and suffered the consequences! Also, I have noticed some discomfort in my left shoulder area and my stomach is growling loudly (even though I don't feel hungry). Has anyone else had any of these issues? I figured it is just part transitioning to what I can and cannot comfortably eat with a tighter band. How do you know if it is too tight though?:)

Wishing everyone a relaxing and enjoyable Mother's Day:teeth_smile:

Welcome!! Glad you found us! This forum is an awesome spot for encouragement! I don't think I would have gotten through the last few months without it. Well, maybe I would have, but my doc's office would have really been irratated with me.

There has been a couple times that my shoulder has hurt when I haven't chewed well enough. It was really scary the first time, I was on vacation, and I thought maybe I was having a heart attack. But after a few minutes, it was better. I think that we have to learn how to listen to our bodies all over again. I am having my 3rd fill on the 19th. I am not really even sure if I need it, but since I have kind of hit a wall, I want it!!!

That is definately the key--I don't think I ever really listened to my body pre-band. It was the "mind over body" kind of thing--I wanted 6 Cookies, or whatever and I ate them--even if I was feeling stuffed. Yesterday we were having Mother's Day dinner at restaurant--for special occasions they only have a buffet-style choice. I was very worried about what I could try. However, I tried a little of everything that I liked--ate verrrry slowly and took tiny bites. I had no problems at all and when we left everyone was complaining how they ate too much--quietly I was proud that for once I felt satisfied but not miserable, yet still enjoyed the taste of things I liked. A coworker of mine began a diet similar to Jenny Craig (it's called HMR) the same week I started the preop diet. In that period of time she has lost 58 pounds--and I've lost 20! I was getting bummed because I know people were thinking you've had surgery and she hasn't and look at her results. But, she literally hasn't had a morsel of real food--she is eating 2 very small frozen Entrees and 5 special shakes per day. I think the band (when it is working and the right fit) is the best of both worlds--you get to eat what you want pretty much but still lose. I just have to be patient and not compare:)

Hey Rhapsody! Honey, you are describing that feeling of sliming to a tee! I have had that happen one to many times and it's amazing how fast you back up and regroup to keep from suffering those pains isn't it!:blush: I am going slower than a lot of the double V's, but like you, I don't see a size 16 on my person for quite a while yet! :lol: But that's ok..I know it will come..but just a bit slower! I had my doc put a bit more in me on my second fill and I'm due the 15th for my third but I don't know how much if any he will add to it because I feel pretty tight and really don't want to cut everything off just to keep from getting those pressure pains in my chest..if ya know what I mean!! :) Good to see you had a chance to let us know you're doing GREAT!!:thumbup:

*Hugs* Queen of Hearts, your post made me smile! :biggrin: You are right, I've really been trying to eat slowly to avoid that pain again! However, the hunger monster is still beating on me. My hubby says I should schedule a fill sooner than May 28th, but I'm stubborn, lol . . . I just want to be able to do some of this on my own. Hunger is starting to wear me down a bit tho :unsure: . . . I just hope my 3rd fill gives some relief!

Keep hangin' in there with me sweetie . . . slow losers unite! :smile:

That is definately the key--I don't think I ever really listened to my body pre-band. It was the "mind over body" kind of thing--I wanted 6 Cookies, or whatever and I ate them--even if I was feeling stuffed. Yesterday we were having Mother's Day dinner at restaurant--for special occasions they only have a buffet-style choice. I was very worried about what I could try. However, I tried a little of everything that I liked--ate verrrry slowly and took tiny bites. I had no problems at all and when we left everyone was complaining how they ate too much--quietly I was proud that for once I felt satisfied but not miserable, yet still enjoyed the taste of things I liked. A coworker of mine began a diet similar to Jenny Craig (it's called HMR) the same week I started the preop diet. In that period of time she has lost 58 pounds--and I've lost 20! I was getting bummed because I know people were thinking you've had surgery and she hasn't and look at her results. But, she literally hasn't had a morsel of real food--she is eating 2 very small frozen entrees and 5 special shakes per day. I think the band (when it is working and the right fit) is the best of both worlds--you get to eat what you want pretty much but still lose. I just have to be patient and not compare:)

You are so right! I, too, went out for Mother's Day yesterday. We went to PF Chang's and my wonderful family ordered all my favorites so I could have a little bite of each of theirs. I asked for an appetizer plate so I could guage how much I could eat. I ate tiny bites really slowly, enjoyed the conversation and had a wonderful meal. I think this is the best part of the band. Because I eat such tiny portions I can eat a lot of the foods I really enjoy so I don't feel deprived but still fit within my calorie and Protein needs. I don't do well with being restricted to "diet" foods. It was hard on Saturday when we were eating out at a grill celebrating my neices graduation when all of the deep fried appetizers came out and I pretty much sat and watched everyone eating deep fried green Beans, jalepeno poppers, chicken fingers, potato skins, etc. I simply explained that I could eat it but that I preferred more healthy food and I couldn't afford to fill up on appetizers. I gave the same excuse at the post ceremony reception where they served huge Cookies. I explained that I wouldn't be able eat lunch if I ate a cookie. I sipped on a cup of coffee because it was going to be at least an hour before lunch. I did eat one tiny piece of portabello mushroom so that I didn't look totally anti social. I was fine when I got my grilled chicken breast and cottage cheese. I even snuck a couple pieces of my husband's broccoli. The family was quite impressed at my self control. That made everything wonderful. The band is a wonderful tool but it takes work. Hang in there everyone. We all have our eyes on the prize. We have to educate our family and friends on the wonders of our bands.