Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1-Day Post Op-need encouragement

So glad your feeling better wickman.

As for the GB surgery, that I have had and it was not bad at all....... the worst was the gas pains for me, and that is typical with all abdominal type surgeries as I understand it..... my Dr. also told me that the GB surgery and the LB surgery were much the same as far as the incisions and the pain. So that is what I am hoping for when April 10 comes around for me.

You'll do great... don't worry. :thumbup:

Hi, I had my surgery this morning. I have to use the spirometer too. I feel pain in the port area but other than that, I am doing fine. Hang in there. We will get through this :>

Heather, You will be fine. Eachday gets better. Don't be surprise is the gas pains show up in the next couple of days. It is all normal. I think I started feeling "normal" by day 4 or 5. Hang in there! It is all worth it.

I had a hard week. I coughed a lot last week and a spirometer sounds like a good idea to help clear your lungs. I finally am feeling less nausea which I am greatful for. Hang in there.

Well, it is one week out for me today. Banded on 3/28/08. But just be glad you had NO complications and you had regular Lap Band Surgery. Be very glad everything was normal. I went in expecting to be like everybody else....but I was in the 1% that had complications. When they got inside me and started putting in my lap band...my spleen was nicked, and when that happens you can quickly bleed to death, and this DID happen to me. To make a long story short...my band was not put in laproscopically with the 4 or 5 little minimally invasive surgery you all had. I was opened up and have almost 40 staples in my belly with my incision running from between my breasts all the way down to my belly button. I also have my port incision and 2 other little slits besides where i was started to be done laprascopically then got my spleen nicked and it had to be removed and I had to have blood transfusion to keep me from bleeding to death. I have stiches in my jugular vein in my neck where they had to transfuse me. So be VERY VERY glad my friends that you have had a normal banding surgery. You would not like to recover from the way I had to have my surgery. I only wish mine was as easy as yours.

AnnieLou

wow, Annie! Sorry to hear about your complications. I was sitting here, 2nd day post op, fighting gas pains, abd pain, feeling like crap and now I realize how lucky I am! I hope you will have a quick and uneventful recovery and this will soon just be a bad memory while you progess to more healthy and beautiful you. My prayers are with you girl.

Hi all,

How long should I expect the gas pains to hang around? My only complication during surgery on April 1 was a hiatal hernia I did not know about. They fixed that and were able to put the lap band on. I'm feeling fine other than some pretty intense gas pains up through my shoulder today.

Cheers!

Hi all,

How long should I expect the gas pains to hang around? My only complication during surgery on April 1 was a hiatal hernia I did not know about. They fixed that and were able to put the lap band on. I'm feeling fine other than some pretty intense gas pains up through my shoulder today.

Cheers!

My pains lasted abour four days and then became milder for the next three for four days after. I also had a hernia repair, but knew it was there before surgery.

love777pink:

Can you please tell me about the gallbladder surgery? I'm having mine out on 4/17. I was thinking it would be a piece of cake, like lap band.

Any info you can give on gallbladder surgery will be appreciated. Did you have gallbladder out laproscopically?

Sue

I had my gallbladder out a few years ago. It was a tough surgery but please learn from my mistakes, get up and walk as soon as you can, use the breathing thing as often as you can. I didn't do either and my lungs collapsed and I was really sick. This time I got up and walked and used the breathing machine and drank lots of Water and it was a walk in the park compared to the Gallbladder surgery. Good luck to you. The surgery is nothing compared to a gallbladder attack.

Hello. I'm one day post op too. The spirometer is used to prevent pnemonia. However, I'm beginning to think it is some kind of medieval pain device to increase gas pain in shoulders and tummys. I know you probably are feeling like you got hit by a mack truck today, but I'm betting you are feeling better than yesterday. I know tomorrow you will feel even better than today. Try walking around your house and moving around, but don't forget to rest. I wish you luck and hope you feel better soon. :cursing:

Trystelle:

Thanks for the reassurance.

You're doing so well. You'll be at goal in no time!

Congratulations.

Sue

I was just banded on March 17th. I'm still on liquids, but they are getting mushier all the time.

My incisions still hurt. My surgeon put a saran wrap covering over my bandages. He told me I could take it off. I did yesterday, and the area between the incisions is ichy and raw.

I'm still not felling great. I worked this week, and it was a challenge.

Have you had those same dressings on since surgery?

I would suggest that you do not cover them with anything at this point! Your skin needs to heal and the adhesive in the bandages could be irritating you. Maybe you could wear a close fitting/spandex tank top to keep your clothes from rubbing you if that bothers you.

~C

Even though I dont know you, I am very proud of you. It sounds like you dont handle anesethia very well though, So keep up with the deep breathing. Remember your liver was held up while the surgeon sewed your stomach around the band, so you are bruised on the inside. I had my lapband march 24th, and it will was about a week before I started feeling better. Give it at least that long, the nausea and stuff will go away after a couple of days, But if you have any thing that concerns you, please call you Drs. office right away, if anything it can bring you peace of mind. Lets hang in there! and get r done! :tongue: