Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First fill - 4.5 ccs and still no change!!

Hello.

I'm beginning to feel like my band doesn't work or something. I am 6 weeks post-op and only during the first week post surgery have I felt any eating restrictions. Perhaps my problem is that I'm determined to "test" it - meaning I try foods before the "prescribed diet" says that you can eat them. however, Just like week 2 after surgery and now one day after my first fill (and I asked for the maximum amount!) - I seem to be able to eat anything - I can drink large amounts, and I feel no restrictions.

I see on other posts that a great deal of the struggle and putting yourself on restrictions and dieting - however, if I could do that successfully, I wouldn't have needed the surgery!!

I suppose I need to go back for more fills, but I do think it is odd that I feel no difference, especially when i see how much of a fill I got compared to other posts - I think that my bad isn't working :lol:

Hi, I am totally with you. I got my first fill about 3 weeks ago and for a couple of days I felt some restriction, I was really excited, but then it seemed to go away very fast. By the end of the week I could eat whatever and in quantities I knew were over and above the target amounts. I had 4ccs put into my 10cc band so I know what you are going through, it is kind of sad. I have my next fill already scheduled (although they wouldn't push it up at all, still had to be 6 weeks, I didn't have my first fill for almost 3 months either!).

I am trying to keep the faith in that this is a process and the docs are all trying to be conservative so that they don't give you too much of a fill and you can't eat anything!

If I average out my weight loss so far, about 30 pounds (I need to update my ticker), it is still more than 10 pounds per month and that is something to hold on to, it's significant!

Hang in there, be sure that you are talking to your doctor too, let them know you aren't feeling restriction, sometimes they will push up your fill schedule, at least I have read of that happening to a lot of folks on this site!

The fills don't hurt. I got 4.5cc in my 10cc band the first time too and, like you guys didn't get good restriction. I went back 4 weeks later and got another 1.5, but was told he pulled out 4, not 4.5. So I don't know if I have 5.5 or 6cc right now. I sure hope I don't have a leak. The doc didn't seem concerned.

Anyway, I had good restriction for week or so, but am starting to feel hungry again. I guess I'll need schedule round 3.

Hey Brenda,

Mine did not hurt, an interesting experience though! My doc did numb the area though so I felt the small pricks of the needle. He numbed the area around the port. I was in radiology at the hospital and it was really cool to see the port and then later in the procedure where the band was!

So, after the area was numb he inserted the needle and put in the saline solution. Then they tilted me upright (I was on a bed-like panel), had me drink some Water, that was fine, so then I drank something that would show up on the screen. I could see the solution pool in my pouch and then shoot through the band, WAY COOL!

Overall, it took maybe 15 minutes start to finish, no pain after the numbing stuff wore off either.

Good luck!

Alisa

Hang in there. I just had my third fill in March and I am at what everyone called the sweet spot. After my first three fills, I felt like you are describing. However, I just stuck to the plan (our plan of a life change). I stayed away from the bad foods and I limit myself. Every month when I went back to my doctor I lost between 6 to 8 pounds with out filling restriction. This month after 3 weeks and getting to the sweet spot, I have already lost 10lbs and I have a week before I need to see him. Hang in there, you will get to that sweet spot and when you do you will know.

Thanks

sadly, i'm not feeling much restriction either. had my first fill last thursday which brought me up to 4ccs in a 10cc APL. frankly, it doesn't even feel like band. sigh.

am not scheduled for another fill until 4/10 and that feels like a really long time. meanwhile, i'm just trying to keep portion sizes reasonable and working out with regularity.

i know it's different for everyone, but when is it reasonable to expect a feeling of restriction in a 10cc band; 5, 6, 8ccs?

I'm confused. Since you don't feel much restriction - how have you managed to lose weight? I haven't lost any! I understand that conceptually I should be sticking to the plan - but if I'm hungry and/or I know I can eat anything, it is challenging and I wonder why did I get the band to being with!!

Any advice, tips on ways to start tricking myself?

For instance, I've noticed that I'm still big on drinking and eating at the same time, and if I worked on changing this habit, perhaps I would fill up faster?? But as for making right choices - that's a bigger struggle. I guess I thought that the band was going to be a good tool to help me with certain choices like bread and starches - making it hard or impossible to eat them, which would help me tremendously as those are my biggest problem foods.

Edited by drtifg

I'm confused. Since you don't feel much restriction - how have you managed to lose weight? I haven't lost any! I understand that conceptually I should be sticking to the plan - but if I'm hungry and/or I know I can eat anything, it is challenging and I wonder why did I get the band to being with!!

Any advice, tips on ways to start tricking myself?

For instance, I've noticed that I'm still big on drinking and eating at the same time, and if I worked on changing this habit, perhaps I would fill up faster?? But as for making right choices - that's a bigger struggle. I guess I thought that the band was going to be a good tool to help me with certain choices like bread and starches - making it hard or impossible to eat them, which would help me tremendously as those are my biggest problem foods.

hi drtifg...i lost about 10 pounds pre-op and most of the rest was in the 2 weeks post surgery. during the 3rd week, i lost and gained the same pound. that said, i worked out nearly every day and really upped my activity level. (walked a mile a day, went to a couple of spin classes at the gym and played tennis (doubles) 3 times.) all of that led to an additional 3 pound loss as of monday.

still, i feel you're pain. i'm as hungry now as i was before surgery. i've really only managed to keep my portions in check by reminding myself that i did have surgery and that if i overeat at this point, i will likely do myself an injury. when i'm really hungry, i drink more Water, or eat a wedge of laughing cow light cheese, or leave my desk and take a walk around the block.

trust that restriction will come and we'll get through this period. you can do this and your band will help you, if not right now... then very soon.

I haven't been banded yet. But it does seem you all are describing what some banders claim to be "lapband hell". From what I read is getting through this portion is the hardest part.

As for the drinking with meals. I bet that will help out alot. Even if your not at full restriction it should make you full a little bit longer.

I didn't really feel restriction until after my 3rd fill...when I was up around 6cc's. I felt the same way as you at first...that it wasn't working, but trust me, in a few months you will definitely feel restriction!

My first fill hurt like heck! I told my husband it was like sticking a fork into a raw steak and wiggling it around. The second fill was MUCH better!

As for restriction...careful there. I do understand and have had the same feelings of gee it was good the first DAY <lol> but getting over comfortable could cause you to have a stuck. Just when you think you have no restriction....lol ya feel it <wink> over the last few days I have been feeling it more and my last fill was 3/21. Then I get to hear hubby ask "ya stuck?" "Did ya chew?" God love him! :lol: