Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Self Payers???

Hey guys! I was wondering if any one paid for the surgery themselves? I am hoping to get my insurance to pay for my surgery, but if not I am going to take out a student loan to cover it. Also I would like to hear about your experiences with the band, good and bad.

Cant wait to hear from you guys! Congrats on all of the success.

Roxy

I self-paid. I scrounged every cent I had for a while until i saved up the cash. I spent $8,000 and had the surgery in Mexico. My experience was wonderful. There was nothing scary about it at all. I now spend $200 a fill, which I have had 5. So, I've spent 9,000 total and would not take back a single cent!! I love my band!

Hi! I was also self-pay. I took out a personal loan to finance mine. I got mine done in Denver and paid 9875. The fills are free for the first 3 months, and only $15 a fill after that. It's been great and I would never change it...I get my 2nd fill on 4/10 and can't wait to feel more restriction.

Good luck with everything!!

Hi,

I was a self pay. My BMI was not high enough for the insurance company to cover the surgery. My surgery cost was 14,500. I put some on a credit card and the rest on a line of credit. I dont regret it. I was banded on 3-3-08. Nothing scary at all. Very good experience. I was back at work the next day. (I own My own company, so i left after a couple of hours). Recovery was awesome. I had a Tummy Tuck 8 months ago (I know putting the cart before the horse) and the recovery was nothing compared to that!!

Good Luck on your journey. you won't regret it:thumbup:

I was a self pay and spent 17000$ which covered all follow up care (including ANY reoperations with all fees, and fill for 2 years). I am going to be dropping another 8500$ on a TT soon. I took out a loan with a HUGE interest rate but happily write the check every month. People drop this kind of money on cars all the time and they will last about 5-10 years. This body is mine for life. The best money I have ever spent. I have never been happier!

I was a self pay also. I took out a Flexible Spending account at work for $5000 and saved up the other $2700 and went to Mexico for the surgery. Getting the lap-band was the best decision/investment that I have ever made.

I was self pay also $13,400 covered all cost for surgery and fills for one year. Only been banded since yesterday so cannot comment yet on how I like it. Surgery was not difficult and I would definitely do it again if the end result is better health and a skinnier me!!

I was a self pay. My insurance will not cover any time of Bariatric surgery period...so it was a no brainer for me. I used one of those checks you get all the time with your credit card statement that says "use this check and pay 4.99% financing until the balance of this check is paid off. It worked well. I will just have to drive my old car a few more years but the band has been totally worth it! I look better, feel better, and avoided the Diabetes and high blood pressure that was around the corner. Good luck!

Hiya,

I had to self-pay. My company is lovely to work for but the insurance coverage bites kinda hard! My parents and I split the cost. I had to borrow from my younger sister to cover my part (her interest rate was so much better than the loan company, who quoted a rate that would make Tony Soprano blush.) It was a little embarrassing having to borrow from sister (she married into some money - props to her!) but in the end it was a good deal, I think. It was $16,500, which does include fills. I was banded 3/27 and feeling good so far!

I was self pay, $15k each (hubby banded w/me) covers a yr of fills and all aftercare appts. Would have loved if Ins was friendly - but when there's a will there's a way...good luck to you!!

thanks to everyone! I had my consultation on thursday, and now the insurance game begins. Hopefully I will not have to pay out of pocket, but if so I know it will be worth it.

I also will be a self-pay.... my insurance won't budge, so I won't either in my decision to get banded on 5/27/08 in Mexico with Dr. Kuri.... $7500 and then I have a fill clinic 20 minutes from my home and they are $150 for the first fill (free unfills) and $125 for fills after that.... $300 for a fluroscope if I need it. No regrets.... my parents and my husband are getting it done at the same time... my parents are paying for it and I will make monthly payments back to them for my husband and I. Good luck!

Kammi in Everett, WA

event.png

I am paying for the op myself, taken out a loan to cover the cost of £3500 - im sure it will be worth it in the long run!! Having mine done in belgium as half the cost of the UK.

I kind of consider myself both. My insurance covers as of 01/01/2008, but only 50%. So, surgery is $17,000, meaning I still have to come up with $8,500. This includes all fills/aftercare for 12 months. Fills will be $100 each after one year.

I'm still waiting to get the go ahead from ins so I can set my date!!! :biggrin: