Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not sure what I am doing??!!

I was banded Nov. 26th /07 and have lost 42 pounds so far. I had my first fill on Feb 12th and had 2cc's put in. My band is a MIDband and holds 9cc's. I am scheduled for a second fill April 8th. I am not sure if I should get one or not... I cannot eat Breakfast as I am too tight in the morning. I usually have a Protein Drink at 8 AM and then a ff /sf yogurt at around 10. I have lunch at 1 o'clock and sometimes it stays down and sometimes it doesn't. I am better if I eat soft stuff...cottage cheese scrambled eggs as I am often still tight. I find during the work week I have a half hour for lunch am rushed to eat and that makes it even worse.( I also drive home to let my dog out) By dinner time I feel like I could eat a house and sometimes do! Last night I ate a huge salad (2 cups) and a chicken pot pie (approx 1 cup). I have only lost 5 pounds this month. Last few months it has been 10 pounds. Should I get another fill? Will that cut down on the amount I can eat at dinner?

Thanks for any help you can offer

Barb

Barb, you sound like me a month ago. I did get a fill of 1cc and then I was too tight. So after a week of PBing all the time I got .6cc taken out. Now much to my dismay, I have NO nada restriction. I would say if you do get a fill, get very little. A little can go a long way.

Don't get the fill. You will become unbearably tight. I speak from experience. I was at 2.1 and got a fill to 2.6. I was at that level for two months. I knew it would be tight at first but I thought that it would loosen up with weight loss. It DIDN"T. I grimed and bared it for 2 months at this level. Lost about 20 pounds in 2 months but I couldn't eat anything. Eating took a lot of time, was painful, and I think I was starving myself. The doc took one look at me under floro and said it was too tight. He took me back down to 1.2ccs. I need to give my stomach a break for a few weeks and then I will begin my journey to finding the sweet spot again.

Moral of the story: Don't get greedy. 5lbs a month is healthy, great weight loss. Eating is painful when you are too tight.

I doubt you need another fill - but the best way to check that is to see how you eat solid Proteins. Eating soft food, just lets you eat more volume (ie - 2cups of salad / 1cup chick pot pie .... btw LOVE chicken pot pie). I am a "tad" tight right now after a fill last wk - but when I moved to solids, I make sure I can eat chicken / fish / tuna / etc. So long as I can do that, though chewing more and slowing down my eating, I know the solid food limits my portion size, and for the most part keeps me full longer. If you can't get solid food down, you may require a slight unfil.

My Dr warns about being to tight by: 1- Not able to eat breakfast 2- Eat only soft foods 3- Drink my meals.

Everyone pretty much has different guidelines to follow - I would attend your fill appt. and discuss w/your Dr.

If you are too tight, and you cannot keep a reasonable amount of solid food down, you will tend to eat only soft foods and they are not as nutritious and they are usually calorie laden. If you are too tight, besides putting yourself at risk by too much PB'ing, you can actually GAIN weight. The advice above by luluc and miller is great! And 5 lbs. in a month is a success story.

This is very good information. I am only feeling slight restriction after my first fill. I think I will let it be for a while and see how my weight loss goes. It seems it would be better to be a little loose in the beginning than too tight and possibly have to have an unfill.:scared2:

Thank you all very much for your responses. If it has not improved by Aril 8th my next appointment, I think I will ask for a small unfill. PB'ing everyday (or almost) is going to end up causing big problems long term and I paid so much for this sucker I want it to work!! I was actually loosing weight better before my fill. I realize I am doing all the things that a "too tight" fill produce. I will discuss with my Doc. I am sure he would do a slight unfil as he does not agree with the agressive approach and I want to eat like a normal healthy person. Thanks again...you've been a big help.

Barb

Edited by BarbBee

I would say get a slight unfill if it doesnt get better soon. Once unfilled a tiny bit, you will be able to eat more solid food so you wont get so hungry by dinner. Being overfilled causes you to eat softer foods which partially defeats the band's method of action. Also try a snack between lunch and dinner. Unless you have optimum restriction, you may get too hungry between those meals and that causes your brain to tell you to eat more. My doctor said this too. Better to eat a healthy, high Protein snack than to starve so much that you eat the equivalent extra of several Snacks at dinner. :regular_smile: Keep us updated and good luck!

Hi Dustout,

That is exactly what's happening. Come dinner when I can finally eat I eat a house! You are right ...this is totally defeating how the band should be helping me. This is not healthy...i would rather be having three healthy meals a day with a snack thrown in if needed. I am going on Tuesday and going to ask for a slight unfil. Once I tell my doc I pb almost everyday or everyother day I am sure he will take some out. It is very strange I got this first fill in February and now after 6 weeks it is tight and causes me all this grief. What is up with that!!?? Thank you everyone for your comments and advise. I will let you know how things go on Tuesday.

Barb

Everyone on the forum seems confused on a reason as to why a fill "kicks in" a few weeks after a fill. It makes no sense but seems to happen. But Pbing a lot is not a good thing and can't be considered a normal way of eating. It happens that we get too tight, but a SLIGHT unfill can make you feel so much better.

Thought I would post an update. I saw my surgeon today and told him my concerns. I told him I wanted a small unfil and he agreed. He said I should be able to eat 3 small meals a day. He took out .07 of a cc. Later in the day I had a small bit of cottage cheese with pureed fruit and it went down with out any pain. OMG what a relief!! I have now had a bit of chicken and mixed veggies for dinner. I ate it super slow and teeny tiny bites....no more pain and no feeling like it was sitting in my throat. I was full with a small serving and now feel settled. Full calm tummy with no pain and it feels so good!! I would encourage anyone who is pbing alot or having pain with every single meal to really review your eating techniques and if you are following them and still having problems talk to your Doctor....and maybe a get a small unfil. Take care everybody.

Barb

Thanks Dustout! Your advise was right on the mark! Love this website and all the great support!

Cheers,

Barb