Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi!! Newbie here from South Florida!!

Hi Everyone! I have been reading your posts for quite a long time, I have done the research and am ready to have the surgery finally! I will be a self pay since my insurance has this as an exception. I too have done all the diets, been yo-yoing all my adult life. I have, however, decided to only tell my kids and my hubby, unfortunately, the rest of my family is not exactly the support system I would look to for this type of surgery or lifestyle. I have two brothers and they each got married recently and I was not asked to be in either wedding party. I later found out that they (including my mom) all had gotten together for a family decision, and all decided that I would be an embarrassment to the rest of the "skinny" girls and that having me there "all fat in a pretty dress" in the wedding party photos would make the whole thing unbalanced. This has really hurt me and I have not mentioned to any of them that a family friend told me the real reason why I was not really asked. My kids and my hubby are very supportive of my decision, and also have agreed not to tell anyone in the family. They saw how hurt I was when I found out about the wedding nonsense. Anyway, my hubby, although he "is behind me on this 120%" (his words) is off fighting in Iraq. He is in the heat and wearing that heavy gear everyday, getting more and more "buff" even as I write. I want so much to not be the "fat wife" when he finally returns!! Ahh to look good naked again!!! :scared2: I think this is going to be an amazing adventure! And I look forward to going through my experience with you all! I have my initial consult with Dr. Brett Cohen in Hollywood tomorrow (3/31) and just wanted to stop by and say hello!

Natalie, Im really sorry about your brother's wedding. What a terrible and hurtful thing for them to do. Anyway, good luck on your new journey in bandland....

Hi, i am also from south florida and will hopefully be banded in june. I am seeing dr. perez in ft. lauderale and in the process of getting all of my paperwork together for insurance. I also have made the decision to keep my surgery quiet, as I do not want people to say that it is too radical. I have PCOS and it is possible to lose weight but almost impossible to keep it off. I would love to hear how you are doing, and I hope your husband is well in Iraq. You should be very proud of him.

Hi Natalie, I too am on the beginning of the journey finally the insurance company has got things straight so that I can start the 6 months of supervised diet. I have lost 25lbs on my own. I am very excited to be able to chat with people who have experienced or will be experience what I am. I am a Breast Cancer survivor so I figure this should be a piece of cake. MUCH LUCK TO YOU.

Vickie:thumbup:

Hi Natalie,

I am in Sunrise, FL. I am scheduled for surgery on April 8 with Dr Sosa at Weston Outpatient Surgery center. I am sorry that you have go thru this w/o your hubby close by and I'm sure you must miss him terribly. I believe my e-mail is in my profile, if you want to e-mail me directly.

Good luck on your journey and don't let the family get your down about what happened with the weddings. Some people just don't understand. I think I would tell them all what was going on after they see how well you've done and tell them that they helped you make this decision. They will be shocked that you know how they handled the wedding situations.

Look for my posts after April 8. I'll be letting everyone know how it went.

Alice

Dear Newbie:

I am in the same situation as you -- I've completed my research, I'm paying for everything at my own cost and I've only told my grown up kids what I am planning to do. I just don't want to listen to alot of negativity, I just want to go and get the lap band surgery done and get on with my life. I am just as excited as you and I was happy to read your message.

Good luck! It sounds like you're husband's adventures are going to start all over again once he returns home!:blush:

I am in West Palm Beach, Fl and hoping to be banded in late May by Dr Ortiz. I am not telling anyone, just hubby now. Girlfriend that I asked to go with me yelled at me and said I was just weak and stopped trying to loss weight but had the nerve to call me today about some news pill on market that suppose to be bettter than alli w/o going as much for potty breaks. We were good together about trying the new best thing to loss weight but now that I am tired of that and won't do it anymore, she is mad. She thought it would matter to me that she was told Oprah was trying it....I told her as big as Oprah is getting lately, she better try the lapband. LOL....she hung up on me!!!:blush: SO I am NOT telling anyone else in fear of having my friends upset.;)

Lena23

Lena:

That is kind of funny --- that's exactly why I'm not saying anything to anyone. I went to see my doctor and she was actually very supportive which surprised me and the one thing she did suggest is for me to go on chat lines and listen to what people have experienced. Good advice and that's why I'm now talking to folks like you!

I'm glad that you're going to Dr. Ortiz . me too, only I'm hoping to get mine done the second week in May so we'll have to keep in touch and give each other some support! I'm excited about it, will be taking the plunge and sending in the forms this week.

I talked to Dr. Ortiz on the phone, he's wonderful and I'm getting a copy of the tape where his clinic was on Oprah (now that you mention Oprah). I guess her show went down to his clinic and so it should be interesting.

Good stuff, Lena . thanks for your note.

Maggielexi

jbflorida, I am have finally decided on Dr. Aguila, he is with Memorial Hospital. I have been to 2 others for seminars and this has been the best. The office manager Tina is a patient. On Tuesday April 8 I will start the 6 month supervised diet and then go forth. I also chose this one because my ins will pay.

Vickie:thumbup:

It's fun reading everyone's comments --- I'm from Nelson, British Columbia and I'm just waiting to get my surgery date . .Dr. Ortiz from Tijuana, Mexico will be doing this for me.

I feel really pumped about how this is going change my life in many ways and I really can't wait to begin. I'd love to hear from people who are in the first few months to see how they're doing --- it's always the 'unknowns' that are a little scary. These chat forums are excellent -- so nice to hear from people as to how they're dealing with all of this.

Thanks,

Maggielexi

Thanks for all the replies! I haven't been on here all week, with spring break going on, the kids have kept me swamped.

I had met with the surgeon on Monday and he said there seems to be no reason not to go right ahead with everything. I had my nutritional on Thursday and have my psych this tuesday coming up. I too had thought about the Mexico idea, but I can't see how I could get it to work with my hubby being gone. I couldn't justify both of us being out of the country, (possibly doing something dangerous) while the kids are home with a sitter. So, I'm paying a bit more, but it is for the full year of followups, and it's local,(I too am going to Memorial Hospital) and it doesn't put the kids through too much more stress. It's hard enough on them with their dad being deployed.

The surgeons office gave me tentative dates they were considering, of April 22nd, 29th, or May 2nd!!! My nutritionist said "Wow, they must be fast tracking you!" :tt1:

They are supposed to let me know which one is finalized this coming week. I am really hoping for the earliest one!! The less waiting the better!

Good to hear from you all !!

One of the things we did this spring break.. it's just me and my daughters, 10 and 12 at home right now, and they are actually looking forward to taking care of me for a couple days after the surgery!! And we went out the other day and did all kinds of "liquid diet" shopping. We all had a good time talking about the kinds of shakes and pureed foods we could come up with as we walked up and down the aisles. BTW, we decided totally against.. a shrimp lo mein shake!! :tt1:

Thanks again!!