Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am sure this has been answered before, but I was unable to find it in a search, what is PB and slimeing (not sure of the spelling)?????:) I am still in the process of getting my insurance to give the go ahead, but I have seen it mentioned a few times. Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the boards. Going thru the process- how exciting! You hang in there with your insurance company.

PB is an acronym for Productive Burp. I can't really help you out with this one as I've never experienced it. But what I understand is it's simply burping and the air that comes up moves the food. But I could be wrong.

Sliming.... now that one I know. I do this frequently. Everyone has this, banded or not. The esophogas produces slime to help move food from the mouth to the stomach...it's a natural occurance. Those banded with restriction....the food moves slower (as a few bites fill the pouch and those other bites...hang out in the esophogas). The build up of this slimy substance is the body's way of helping digest food. It will help it slide thru the band or help bring it back up.

Want to make this clear that sliming is not vomiting. Vomiting involves the stomach and sliming is nothing like vomiting. Of course, you can vomit and slime at the same time.

It's so important to chew well and eat slowly. ... and walk away after a few bites because you may be full and don't realize it yet.

Hope this helps!

Wow, I've been lurking on these boards for a couple of weeks and I have been wondering the same thing. Thanks for asking Jadensmom and thanks for the answer Grace.

I will be banded on April 8, so I'm sure I'll be posting with lots more questions after that.

Alice

PB and sliming are 2 different things and should not be considered 'normal' bandster actions/behavior.

a PB is when you havent followed the bandster rules (either intentionally or not) and food decides to make a return visit. it is not really like thowing up to where there is stomach acid involved, but its kinda like thowing up whatever you just ate (basically just well chewed food mixed with saliva). sometimes, they are rather violent and hurt. my first PB was because i didnt follow the bandster rules and was VERY thirsty, so right after i ate, i had a huge drink of tea. BIG mistake. it came back up VERY quickly and i barely had time to make it to the bathroom.

slime happens when something gets stuck (maybe didnt chew well enough, its a tough piece of meat, chicken, etc...) you produce extra 'lubricant' to assist with the digestion process. sometimes there's just too much lubricant and it collects in your mouth.

like i said, these do not happen all the time, they are the exception, not the rule.

good luck.

When I pb, it's about as far from a burp as it can get. I may burp en route to the PB, but more often there's just a feeling of needing to burp but not being able to. A PB is basically when something is stuck above or at the stoma, and cannot pass. Your esophagus will then force it up and out. For me this takes... a while, and is a painful process of building pressure, then pain indicators, then the esophageal spasms, etc. Finally a trip to the sink and normally it's over (sometimes it needs to happen more than once). Even though I don't think it's a technically accurate phrase, it's what most people use to refer to the process of food and/or saliva being forcefully ejected from the esophagus/stoma.

In our FAQ section you'll find a sticky thread calling "Abbreviations and what they mean" or something like that. You'll find more/other information there.

And to me, sliming is just the production of excess/thick saliva. Most people will slime before they PB, it's considered a sort of last-ditch effort to bring up the food before it's ejected. Sliming is a sign of imminent PB for me. Maybe once in a while I can reach the point of sliming and not PB, but most of the time if I'm sliming, I will go on to PB.

One thing I'm a stickler for is the difference between PB and vomitting. (you will find very differing opinions here). Vomitting involves the purging of the stomach's contents, and we don't do that when we PB. PB is whatever's stuck, and whatever you've swallowed since (variations of this, but speaking generically). No acid, none of yesterday's partially digested chick strip, etc. And -- the advice someone might receive based on if they're PBing or vomitting is very different. We're not supposed to vomit, it's thought to lead to slips, and while we shouldn't PB, I don't know a single bandster more than say... 6 - 12 months in who has never done it (the act, even if the term isn't acknowledged).

Edited by Wheetsin

I've been wondering about PB also....I sort of got a definition of sliming but could not figure out the PB....also thanks for mentioning the thread regarding abbreviations...I'm going there now - this is the most wonderful forum...I'm so grateful for all of you on here!!