Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Total Loss Goals - how did you decide?

Okay, this has been on my mind for awhile, so I'm curious to hear about your perspectives.

- How did you pick your weight loss goal?

- Do you have the same goal you did when you started?

- Did you go with the weight suggested by your clinic, or pick something higher or lower, and if so, why?

For me, I went with 180, because it was a weight where I last felt really comfortable with myself (although I wasn't quite where I ultimately wanted to be), because it was below 200 (ooh - aah!!!) , and it was right around the recommended range from the clinic (as far as what they said on average people can lose with a band). BUT, part of me has always wanted to be in the 160's eventually, so I keep that as a "holy grail" of sorts.

Bottom line (bad pun, unintended), I want to eventually be where I'm comfortable, feel good about how I look and someplace where I can maintain easily.

Of course now, you've all got me considering plastics, but I'm not close enough to goal to know what, if anything I should consider. I imagine that could have an impact on my end weight too!

SO, tell me about your choices!!

- How did you pick your weight loss goal?

it was a goal that i though i could make

- Do you have the same goal you did when you started?

nope, i just lowered by 20 pounds after my plastic surgery. i want to be within a 'normal' BMI

- Did you go with the weight suggested by your clinic, or pick something higher or lower, and if so, why?

i lowered it on my own. i now know without my pannus i can exercise to my fullest potential and knock the last X pounds off.

I try hard not to set goals, the whole disappointment thing, but I think it's pretty much impossible not to have a number in mind.

I started at 382 lbs. I'm also between 5'10 and 5'11. So those things impact end numbers, to some dgree for some people.

The psychologist in my program asked me if I would be happy at 210, which he felt was a good compromise between the statistic weightloss and my personal ambition. I told him I would prefer to see the 100s. To that end, my "I'm going to be really freaking happy" goal is 199.

Beyond that, my ultimate number is somewhere between 175 and 188. Depending on which BMI chart I look at, those represent weights that put my BMI at "normal weight." But it doesn't mean I quit and eat whatever I want when I'm there, either. If the weight continues to come off, good for me. If satiation puts me into maintenance there, I'll take it AS LONG AS I'm happy and I'm maintaining a "normal weight" BMI.

Not to add that 180 was the last weight I remember really liking my external self at.

My weight probably averages right around 235 now (my scale is inconsistent, so this also factors in recent Dr. weighings). To make the goal set by my program, I have 25 to lose. But trust me, I'm way fatter than 25lbs overweight. I'm roughly 45 - 50 lbs from my BMI target, which is probably right. I don't really have a concept of what I look like now, even though I see pictures -- it still doesn't register. But I"ve been told I'm "chunky" -- and I guess that would align pretty well with 45ish lbs to lose.

Oh, I've also started to ponder remaining fat loss vs. remaining weightloss. I have a lot of loose, gross, jiggly skin. Looking at PS numbers, my extra skin will probably account for at least 10 - 15 lbs. I will have PS some day, but I'm not yet reducing my "fat pounds to lose" by any amount I'm estimating for loose skin, I see it all as weigh to get rid of.

I've started wondering about the fat vs skin thing myself. Since I'm so close to getting under 200, it seems like there's a lot more still wobbling around on my lower body than other times I was in that range. Something tells me a good part of it is skin.

I figure I'll ask the doc next time I'm in. I wonder though, do those fat/lean calculating scales cound the skin as fat or lean? Weird concept...

My doc and I originally came to the 150 pound mark even though it would still be technically "overweight", but I am fairly muscular...even when I was really fat. However, I am at 162 right now and my doc, my nutritionist, and the nurse practitioner have to take a second look at the scale because they don't believe that I weigh that much. I would love to get into the 150s and I know that I will get there with Plastic surgery, but the number we choose shouldn't define who we are. Some of us have upped our goal weight, others have lowered it, and others hit it right on. I am finally becoming comfortable with how I look. The number the scale gives me is just ONE aspect of this whole journey, but it is not going to dictate my life. My nutritionist now just wants me using all the lessons that I have learned in the last 7.5 months to start eating a more balanced meal (not just Protein as I pretty much have been!) It took a lot of courage, several boxes of kleenex, and intense internal reflection for me to realize that the number on the scale did not define me. If I lose more weight, fine...if I stay the same, fine...as long as I don't gain...I am TRULY happy with who I am. I think when you get there, then you are at goal.

Hi:

I'm picking size 12. I started at 324 and I will end up wherever the size 12 fits comfortably. I'm guessing that it will be around 160'ish for my 5'7" frame, but I don't really know. I'm 48 years old, so I don't need to be a size 8 or 10. I'm pear shaped, so if I lose too much I'll probably be too thin on the top.

I'll have to see what the future holds. Right now I'm focusing on getting to 199 first. Ten pounds to go, and I haven't lost any in one week - grrrrrr.

Sue

Hi....I like the idea of choosing a size instead of a weight. I'm a real clothes/fashion person so that really "fits" me! HA!HA! I'm completely comfortable with size 12 at this stage of my life. Funny thing.....I remember when size 14 was a death sentence! These days size 14 is cause for major celebration!!! But, sizes are just so off anymore---IMHO. Regardless, the idea of picking a size instead of a weight is what I am going to focus on!!!! I can't believe I didn't really think of that.....LOL!! Thanks for the idea! Since I've been every size from 8-24 in the past 10 years, I do know what sizes look/feel like....more than I know what a certain weight looks like. I've been poking around doing a little shopping lately and find that some designers really have increased the sizes over the years and there's alot of inconsistency in sizes. For instance....today I have a pair of black Avenue size 16 dress pants on. I am swimming in them....don't even need to unzip them to get them off!!! But, over the weekend, I tried on size 16 cropped pants at Coldwater Creek that did not even come close to buttoning or zipping up!!!

But....to answer the question of how I chose a goal weight of 135......I just picked a weight that was 100 lbs from the weight I started at. Coincidentally, I weighed in at 138 on my 40th birthday.....I had lost about 80 lbs at that point under a dr's care taking meds and a high Protein diet. So, I knew that I liked that weight and looked pretty good at that weight. But, as time moves on, I may adjust my weight goal.....not sure. This is an interesting discussion......as they all are with my Crazy Ate bandmates!!!

Judi

I don't go by sizes because yesterday I bought a 14 at Kohl's and then had to buy a 3x at TJ Maxx.

I don't go by sizes because yesterday I bought a 14 at Kohl's and then had to buy a 3x at TJ Maxx.

isnt that just the stupidest thing? grrr? what ticks me off even more is the same store, i bought 14s and they fit well (:) me... in 14s!!), bought a different style pants, about 2 inches too small ... grrrrrrr

Yeah it bites. Things I've bought recently, all with comparable fits, have been anywhere from 14 - 22, xxl juniors, 3x women's. It sucks because I hate trying clothes on, and I'm getting tired of having to make refund trips. :)

It is funny how sizes change, but I just use the size that I usually fit in. My 10s are getting big but I refuse to call myself a size 8 yet though I have tried on several pairs of 8s that do fit. Just a little too scared to say that I am in single digits!

Yeah it bites. Things I've bought recently, all with comparable fits, have been anywhere from 14 - 22, xxl juniors, 3x women's. It sucks because I hate trying clothes on, and I'm getting tired of having to make refund trips. :)

do you think you'll be needing mat. clothes or do you think you'll just use your 'closet stash' throughout your pregnancy? if you'll need mat clothes, lane giant *sigh* actually has some cute mat clothes... you can pick what you want online and go to the store for free shipping or something like that... ???

I didn't know LB had maternity. I don't know if I'll need them or not. Pants -- yes. Tops I can probably just pull out the next size up from my crates and crates... except I wasn't smart enough to sort them by size. Since my obvious preggo will be during summer, I may be able to get away with something like knit/stretchy capris, a knit skirt or two, etc. During summer at work we're capri casual, or I can work from home. Women in my family tend to get really big, almost overnight, around month 6.

I picked up a few maternity things from Target the other day because they were cute, summery, and I know that come summer all you'll be able to find are blazers and wool pants. Their size 18 (largest in-store) maternity pants fit me, but were way too low rise for my taste. I like mom jeans because they help hold in my stomach skin. Low rise does nothing for me. And I don't like the maternity wear that just has the big elastic band, I prefer the ones where they're regular pants with stretchy knit stomach inserts... "over the belly" I think they're called. Those seem harder to find.

I saw JCP had some decent looking pants online, but in store all I could find was 14. (I'm normally an 18 in pants, 16ish in tops).

yeah, LB online only ... but liek i said, get the item numbers and bring them to a store. when i was ever so briefly preggers last month, the store manager said they'd order and ship them to me for free ???? **shrug**