Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bye to my friend, food

I also have worked out from my own psychological study on myself and my eating habits that I panic if there's a chance I could ever get hungry. If I know that I'm going out for the day and maybe not stop for lunch for AGES... then I'll eat extra amounts at Breakfast and even take emergency Snacks. I was either starved as a child (highly unlikely!) or a hamster in a former life- filling my cheeks so I had plenty for later times.

Does anyone else get this panic? I've never told anyone else about this as they'll think I'm a freak and say stuff like "well, that's why you're fat then!"

I have the exact same problem! When I get hungry I get feeling sick and usually get a headache probably mostly from worrying about being hungry. So if I am going somewhere with my family or friends and know that it could be a while before we stop to eat (and something inside convinces me that they are all anorexic and aren't going to stop anywhere ALL day), I panic and just like you, will eat a lot more for Breakfast before I leave than I normally would to make sure I store up as much as I can for the famine that is about to strike as we are gone all day. However, since my whole family is way overweight and we are all addicted to food, we do end up stopping and getting some sort of fast food, and then again, I just know that it's gonna be forever til I get back home where I can finally eat again, so I eat as much as I can when we stop. It is a terrible terrible cycle! I am usually much better off when I go places by myself because I know I am the one driving, and I am on my own schedule and know that I can stop whenever I want to and get something to eat. So I don't get the really sick feeling and the headaches nearly as much. However, there are also plenty of times when I am by myself that if I know it's gonna be an hour or so driving time til I get to the next town, (and being a truck driver I deal with this all the time) I also start to panic and get sick and my head hurts and I stop and fill up.

But the stupid thing is, that even if I eat a whole bunch to make sure I have a good reserve, I end up getting hungry again usually faster than if I had eaten less. And I know this from experiencing it time and time again, yet I still do it to myself.

Night time is a real hard one for me too. I can not sleep when I am hungry. So if I know I have to get up early the next day and need good sleep, I will eat a bunch just before going to bed to make sure I don't wake up hungry in the middle of the night. That's a fear of mine when I am sleeping over at someone elses house too, or in a motel with no food in the room. I have woken up many times at night with hunger pains and unable to sleep until I eat something which is why I panic so much about it. But what happens, is I have discovered that if I eat a lot before I go to bed, I wake up in the morning feeling like I haven't eaten for days. So hungry! But when I don't eat a lot before bed, if I make it through the night without waking up hungry, then when I wake up in the morning I am not very hungry at all. I have experienced this too many many times. Yet what do I do? I again get in the same panic state before I go to bed worried that I am going to wake up hungry in the middle of the night, so I eat a bunch just before bed.

I have been this way since I was about 12. I am 27 now. So no wonder I am 310 pounds now.

truckoholic- are you being banded soon then? Or are you just visiting the site. It's been a useful tool to me and is packed full of all sorts of information. I've got my consultation on monday and hopefully my operation 1-2 weeks after that. I'm paying myself so it's pretty quick.

Gill x

Wow Nana...that was interesting and I love your emoticons too! I know it will be hard to not comfort myself or my family with food outings...I mean...I know I will still be able to go out but one can only stir the food for so long on the plate.....

Eating is such a social thing for all of us...UGH...it is hard!

truckoholic- are you being banded soon then? Or are you just visiting the site. It's been a useful tool to me and is packed full of all sorts of information. I've got my consultation on monday and hopefully my operation 1-2 weeks after that. I'm paying myself so it's pretty quick.

Gill x

Hey Gill,

For right now I am just trying to get all the information I can from the site to see if it is really something I want to do. Am going to try going to a seminar on April 7th put on by a bariatric Doctor that I know is a provider approved by my insurance, and then try to make a decision. Something has got to change. I want so bad to lose this weight! Went to my regular Doctor today and talked to him about it, and he didn't have anything good to say about the lap-band. Just told me that I could have the same exact results if I would just stop eating as much. But with him being a very fit skinny guy I could not really get accross to him that it is NOT that easy for us people with this problem. He asked me what I thought the lap-band would do for me, and I hate when I am in situations like that, because I have all kinds of reasons that I believe the lap-band is just exactly the tool I have been needing all this time, but when put on the spot like that all I could say was "It would keep me from eating as much" which of coarse was not a good enough reason to him. Granted he is an all natural holistic doctor, so of course he is not going to approve of anything un-natural like having a foreign object placed inside you.

So after that little visit I left feeling more like maybe I should give it a try myself again. But I know that is not going to happen. I'll lose about 15 pounds at the most, then fall right back into eating just as much and gain 20 back. That's just been the cycle throughout my life, and I am sick of it.

My dad is 340-350, my mom is about 280, my sister is about 280 and I am 308. My mom and sister have been pretty strictly following a diet given them by the same doctor I visited today, and they have lost only a few pounds in the past couple years since they've been going to him. I think my whole freakin family needs this lap-band. We all eat too much right now and we all have a huge desire to make a change, but need a tool to help us do it!

How do you get those ticker things to join to your name on this web site...they are so cool.

Yeah they are pretty cool. You just go to tickerfactory.com or one of the other ticker sites, and design the ticker the way you want and then it will give you some different codes to copy and paste. You want to copy the BBCode and then go to My Account here on lapbandtalk and click on signature and paste the code into the text field for your signature. When you design the ticker, it asks you to put in a password or pin so that in the future you can click on your ticker and then enter your password and edit your weight loss information.

Hope that helps

I too had a doctor that said all I had to do is walk more,I got a new doctor.Who wants such a narrow minded unintouch dr.My new doc is very fit and thin and also the one who suggested the lap band.Ant doc that has your docs attitude should not be treating obese patients.

My family doc here is so supportive, she takes time to talk to you and has a great sense of humor. When I told her about it she asked me what I knew already and if I was prepared for the emotion toll it would take on me. After we talked a while she said she hoped it worked out and she approved of the surgeon I choose since she knows him and his work. She sends a lot of gall bladder patients his way. My doc is very well educated and keeps up with the latest and greatest in medicine. She didn't try to derail me just made sure I knew what I was getting into. (hopefully I'll be getting into a size 8 one day)

Thats great I am excited for you.I was banded a two weeks ago and I love it so far it's not near as tragic as I thought it was going to be.I am allready eating food I put it in the processor and make it mushie but so far no nausea no problem eating feeling great.I will get my first fill in a couple of weeks and I can't wait.Don't be scared and don't fight it. Good Luck.:):blink:

Wow...I'm so glad to have found this website, I've been talking about banding for awhile and actually seriously 'going to do something about it'. everytime the date for a informational seminar came around something always 'comes up' The closer I come to the seminars the more food I've been eating and the worse I've been feeling about myself.

After reading some of the comments on here I realize just how scarred I really am to let go of my unhealthy food addiction. I know I want to and need to and I'm going to but recognizing the fear is truly an eye opener. Tonight is a seminar and I was starting to back out again but I've asked a friend to go with me (a friend that 'calls me on my stuff') and tonight I will make it. I'll keep talking if you all will.

dgirl

Eigna,

I know exactly how you feel. I have always thought of food as a comfort or friend to turn to when I'm stressed or sad or happy. I am being banded on April 8 and I haven't done it yet but I plan to stop the sweets 1 week ahead of time, so there's only a few more days. They are my downfall and if you can eat small amounts, I want to have the mindset to make the right choices so I lose and I am healthier.

When I had my psychological evaluation, I told her, I hope to start eating to live instead of living to eat.

Good luck to you and I'll talk to you in a couple of weeks when we are both new bandsters.

Alice

I AM A SLAVE TO food AND IT IS KILLING ME. There is not other way for me to look at it. I am 5'2" and weigh 317 pounds, 44 years old. I have been dieting since I was a very young girl. I could not be embarrased, shamed, bought, ignored, insulted, praised, loved, hated, laughted at, begged, counseled or physically restricted enough to loose the weight or even more challenging... KEEP IT OFF. I barely have enough energy to clean my house or go to work. I have stopped going to church because I can barely walk throught the pews and my clothes don't fit. My once very erotic sex life is gone as is my ability to go slow dancing with my husband. I can't even sit in a restaurant booth to eat the food I have no business eating anyway. But, I can tell describe the orgasmic feeling I get when I eat food. Silky feeling of buttery delights and the way my heart races with anticipation when I place an order at a fast food restaurant. The times I have looked down and realized I had finished eating the food on my plate and didn't even realize it. I go to bed thinking of food and wake up thinking of food. I will get in the car and drive 5 miles and spend my last dime on a bag of spicy sweet doritios and an Original Coke. My body is so huge I rock back and forth when I walk. My husband, son and myself took my daughter to look at a prospective university she wants to go to and I couldn't even take the tour because I couldn't walk around campus for 45 minutes. So, this is my point-- and I say it to myself-- The condition of my life is miserable with no forseable change because I am a woman with some sense and fairly good mind but my longevity at this point is dependent on me... and I can't trust me alone to take care of myself. And with all of that being said, I can't belive I am even having second thoughts and wondering if I should be banded. I know I need help and I have got to do this for me. I have got to have help if I am ever going to lose weight and KEEP IT OFF. And, I have to quit the notion of being a "cheater" by being banded. I thank God for the minds that came up with this band because I know one thing.. if I could lose the weight and not gain it back, I wouldn't be typing here now. So, I am educating myself, going with my head and my soul on my decision to get banded and asking God to bless me with the will and a clear mind to stay on track. And, I will just believe that this is best for me... it is a wonderful relief to finally relax and know there is hope. I don't have to live like this the rest of my life.. I can't and I'm not. So, I look forward to hearing from each of you one here and yes,, I agree, I will miss the hell out of my favorite lover in the world... my food!