Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When you eat something that disagrees with you...

Do you throw it up right away or are you nauseous for a couple of hours? How does it work? I'm having surgery next week and I'm freaking out but Im so excited at the same time! I have never felt such dual emotions!:thumbdown:

For me, it kind of depends on how it "disagrees" with me. Did I take too large a bite? Or eat too fast? A large bite can get stuck and hurt and I have to wait awhile before it goes down. If I ate a smaller bit but ate several small bites to fast, I just get a feeling that things are backing up and I need to wait it out a bit, but it doesn;t hurt like getting a big piece stuck.

I have only had a couple things get stuck, but I have had food go down slow and have to stop a few minutes and wait for a burp before I can eat more.

A lot of those problems can depend on how well you chew, how large the bite is, how solid vs soft the food is and how tight your band is.

This is just my experience, you might get other opinions!

Most of the time it seems your body makes that choice, more than you conciously make it.

As has been said, if you ate too big of a bite, or ate too fast, and have blocked the banded area....it will depend. On several things.

#1 Did you quit eating as soon as it happen?

I popped a piece of popcorn chicken in my mouth out shopping one day, chewed a couple times and swallowed, as it worked down my throat, the difference in the way it felt hit me like a ton of bricks! I had slipped into pre band eating mode! I knew it was not chewed well enough so I ate nothing else--not another bite! Let it sit for awhile and began drinking.....Wrong thing to do! It come back up---in what we refer to as a PB! liquid seldom helps!!! I have since learned a few tricks, but have no idea when you swallow a piece of chicken whole, if anything would have worked!!! Just experience!

#2 If you continued to eat.... until the pain starts, more often than not it sounds like most of the time, people end up PB'ing it. The food backs up to the esophagus, and triggers the gag, and it is all over!!That is why we eat slow and small bites, so you know before it is too late!

I have heard of PB's being very sudden and being unable to make it to a restroom, I have never had that experience. I have only had 2 what I would call painful type of PB's. The chicken above and glazed donuts! I still eat chicken, that one was my fault....the donuts---I chewed, but they felt like they grew once I ate them, and I hurt, and slimed, and was generally miserable til they come back up!

#3 It depends on what it is you ate.

If it is softer food that will be able to be moved once the stomach begins working it---or if it was harder Protein that is harder to break down.

#4 As strange as it sounds sometimes it depends on where you are, as to what the outcome will be. If you are at home and can walk and stretch, and burp if needed, and some flap their arms up and down---then sometimes the offending food moves on through. If you are in a restaurant, doing those things might be a tad embarassing!!!

Once you learn how your body reacts, some people PB as a simple hiccup, the offending food pops out and it is over, no stress no mess. Others, find them painful, and long lasting.

I have had both I would say, the 2 painful ones mentioned, and then several times over the last couple of years, I feel stuck and when I attempt to burp, it brings my chewed food, or at least a bite or 2 ofit, and when I spit it up it is over....no biggie. My surgeon/fill Dr. said something like that is likely less stressful, than continuing to be stuck, but the full force, vomiting like PB is to be avoided! It causes stress on the placement of the band.

I think we were all worried about how we would handle the evil side of the band---the PB! But if you are careful, and do not become over tight, they are not usually a problem. They do happen....to almost all of us eventually----but you learn. A lesson learned the hard way is one remembered it seems!!!

You will adapt and do fine!!!

Kat

Most of the time it seems your body makes that choice, more than you conciously make it.

As has been said, if you ate too big of a bite, or ate too fast, and have blocked the banded area....it will depend. On several things.

#1 Did you quit eating as soon as it happen?

I popped a piece of popcorn chicken in my mouth out shopping one day, chewed a couple times and swallowed, as it worked down my throat, the difference in the way it felt hit me like a ton of bricks! I had slipped into pre band eating mode! I knew it was not chewed well enough so I ate nothing else--not another bite! Let it sit for awhile and began drinking.....Wrong thing to do! It come back up---in what we refer to as a PB! liquid seldom helps!!! I have since learned a few tricks, but have no idea when you swallow a piece of chicken whole, if anything would have worked!!! Just experience!

#2 If you continued to eat.... until the pain starts, more often than not it sounds like most of the time, people end up PB'ing it. The food backs up to the esophagus, and triggers the gag, and it is all over!!That is why we eat slow and small bites, so you know before it is too late!

I have heard of PB's being very sudden and being unable to make it to a restroom, I have never had that experience. I have only had 2 what I would call painful type of PB's. The chicken above and glazed donuts! I still eat chicken, that one was my fault....the donuts---I chewed, but they felt like they grew once I ate them, and I hurt, and slimed, and was generally miserable til they come back up!

#3 It depends on what it is you ate.

If it is softer food that will be able to be moved once the stomach begins working it---or if it was harder Protein that is harder to break down.

#4 As strange as it sounds sometimes it depends on where you are, as to what the outcome will be. If you are at home and can walk and stretch, and burp if needed, and some flap their arms up and down---then sometimes the offending food moves on through. If you are in a restaurant, doing those things might be a tad embarassing!!!

Once you learn how your body reacts, some people PB as a simple hiccup, the offending food pops out and it is over, no stress no mess. Others, find them painful, and long lasting.

I have had both I would say, the 2 painful ones mentioned, and then several times over the last couple of years, I feel stuck and when I attempt to burp, it brings my chewed food, or at least a bite or 2 ofit, and when I spit it up it is over....no biggie. My surgeon/fill Dr. said something like that is likely less stressful, than continuing to be stuck, but the full force, vomiting like PB is to be avoided! It causes stress on the placement of the band.

I think we were all worried about how we would handle the evil side of the band---the PB! But if you are careful, and do not become over tight, they are not usually a problem. They do happen....to almost all of us eventually----but you learn. A lesson learned the hard way is one remembered it seems!!!

You will adapt and do fine!!!

Kat

Thank you for all your advice. I especially like the flapping arms part. :) I will remember that if/when I get banded! :thumbdown:

Kat,

I was just newly banded and your response was terrific and very informative. Thank you for your information...it will help alot.