Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Changing Goal Weight

Friends, I have a question for you about choosing your goal weight. When I started researching band surgery, the data seemed to indicate that one should expect to lose 30-50% of excess weight. So, I didn't want to have unrealistic expectations (like ever fitting into my wedding dress again). I set what I thought was pretty ambitious goal - get under 200. But around the forum, I'm seeing REALLY ambitious goal weights. Now I feel like I might change mine.

(I think I will at least change it from 195 to 187 - because then I can go around saying, "Yes, I've lost 100 lbs.")

How did you set your goal weight? Did your doctor help you set it?

I made mine 100lbs less than where I started so I could say I lost 100lbs. LOL

My WW goal range was 135-153. I originally set my goal for 160. But then changed it to 156. So still 3 pounds more than WW thinks I should aim for, but within normal BMI range.

I alone chose my goal weight. No doctor can tell me what I think I should weigh. But your doctor can help guide you.

My goal was 150. That would make me thinner, but still a little plump...I'm 5'4". Well, I exceeded that by 9 pounds going to 141. 140 is my pre-birth of children weight.

Today I step on the scales and see 139. 139!? But according to the BMI charts that puts me at the top end...towards overweight of the normal scale.

Only you can decide. But I would stay away from charts and stuff because they don't make sense. 141 I'm overweight. huh.

I chose mine, too. I haven't even discussed with my doctor, but I'm sure I will at some point. I'm 5'6", so I thought 170 or 175 would be a nice weight. I think that I will probably change it as I get closer. My DH is 175, so if I can get to 170, at least I will be less than him! I started out at 319, and haven't been under 240 since I was a teen, so 170 is almost impossible for me to imagine.

dr wanted me to shoot for 130-135... I gasped at that as I can't even imagine being that small... I lost 130 lbs once and got to 175. I looked pretty dang good. So we compromised and set my goal weight at 145... I still sit here thinking that there is NO way I can get to that. But we shall see. I just take it one day at a time and see what happens...I am big boned, broad shoulders and even when I weighed 175 I had these boney shoulders that stuck out like a football player in pads,,hehehehe

I have changed my goal weight several times already. I used to weigh about 135-140 before I started to gain all kinds of weight in my early 20's. I'm saying 150 because I think it would be reasonable to weigh that with what I expect will be some extra skin. Also, I will be within the healthy weight range which is what I had always aimed for. I do plan to someday have all that removed, which will hopefully put my right back in my High School weight range or close.

No harm in figuring things out as time goes on. To each his/her own, I say.

my goal weight is 120 because i weighed between 108 to 120 till i was 44 and hit menoupause so i want to go back to the top weight i figure i'm 10 years older so i took the top weight! lol my feet starting hurting horribly at 150 so i know that is still too big for my feet (lol) and i'm only 5'3". that would be 104 total weight loss for me....can't even imagine that i put myself in this place; but i'm going to dig my weigh out. :wink:

Jeanie

My doctor and I actually agreed on my goal weight. When I had my initial appt I weight 270. I wanted to lose 100 lbs so we agreed that my goal weight would be 170. My highest was 277. Once I get to 170 (which is difficult for me to imagine as it has been decades since I have even been in the 100's, then I will reevaluate and see if I want to go lower.

Dr. McEwen asked me what was the weight that I remember feeling good at. For me it was 170. My surgery will be the end of May. I agree with you Becca... It sounds like the LapBand is getting better results that they advertise. It is probley because the lawyers make them under estimate, or, they just don't have enough long term results yet. I can't wait to be banded. I can't wait to not be hungry all of the time. I can't wait to be just "overweight" and not morbid. Have a great weekend!

My doctor never asked me what my goal was, nor did he assign me one. At least not that I know of, if he did, I don't know about it!

Dr. McEwen asked me what was the weight that I remember feeling good at. For me it was 170. My surgery will be the end of May. I agree with you Becca... It sounds like the LapBand is getting better results that they advertise. It is probley because the lawyers make them under estimate, or, they just don't have enough long term results yet. I can't wait to be banded. I can't wait to not be hungry all of the time. I can't wait to be just "overweight" and not morbid. Have a great weekend!

Aha! We have the same doctor! Have you been to group yet? Have we met?

Yes, Dr. McEwen let me set my goal as well, but told me I was probably being a little conservative. But I'd rather go back later and make the goal more agressive than not hit it at all!