Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Only one more time

My husband and children gave me a wonderful surprise and bought a ticket for me to fly to Chicago to see my grandson for Easter. It is going to be a very short trip, but I am excited about seeing him.

I will be flying tomorrow and returning Sunday evening. On both of those days I have to walk down the aisle of the plane with my 262 lbs and try to sit in the 17 inch wide seat. I will ask one of the employees for a seat belt extension, and the response can vary from very gracious to obviously annoyed. Once I was going to take off and land without a seatbelt because I did not want to ask again

When drinks or refreshments are served I will say no , because I can't pull my tray all the way down. If there is someone next to me, I will scrunch up into a ball,and ride for over two hours, trying to take up as little space as possible.

Tonight I am sitting her really anxious about the flights. I have never gone on United and hope they are not one of the ones that make you buy twoi seats.

My pre-ops are next Wednesday and I was thinking that this will be the last time I go through this.

What makes it worthwhile is a certain little two year old boy who is waiting for me.

Oh Nanajo, you made me cry. :( Man, what a trip down memory lane. It's truly sad what we have to go through, isn't it? That's alright, though, because you're doing what really matters and even though he may not ever know what you are enduring to see him, you have got to be ONE GREAT NANA! :embaressed_smile:

when you check in ask if they can give you an aisle seat, it gives a little extra shoulder room to smidge over towards the aisle a bit. Ask the flight attendant as you walk aboard for the seat belt extension, so you don't have to ask after you are seated.

Don't feel bad that it's not easy to fit into the seat, they are not made for all sized people. Do you think a tall person can easily fit into one of their seats? Ask my tall husband that question. He is also broad shouldered and the seats are uncomfortable for him, not to mention his long legs.

enjoy the time with your grandson and Happy Easter.

Guest Leslie2Lose

Good luck with your flight! I am not a flyer myself, I flew this past August (3rd time in my life)...I always find religion on an airplane (God and I get really tight from takeoff to landing). Shortgal had a great idea - ask the flight attendent for the extention before you sit down. I asked after the fact - seeing I'd gained about 70 pounds since I flew 10 years ago and literally yelled it out...and the deaf woman couldn't hear me. The lady next to me even shouted it. I was completely mortified - it was not a good experience for me. I wish I'd had pre-planned better. I hope you enjoy the trip and visit with your grandson.

I have flown and have had to ask for a seat belt extension and I find that most of the time have not have a problem getting a seat belt extension.

My wife and I just got back from a plane trip on United to Florida and it felt great not to ask for a seat belt extension and it felt great to have 10 inches of belt left. It also felt great to be able to walk down the aisle and not have to walk sideways to get to my seat.

Your day will come as well.

i know this is terrible but i dont even try the seatbelt anymore for fear that it wont fit. i have gained ALOT of weight since i entered college and this past time flying home i really began to see how big i had gotten. i just put my purse on my lap (which i know it TERRIBLE) and always sit in the aisle. i also fly southwest so when i see people looking at me when finally the c people get to board i can tell they are all happy that they do not have to sit next to the big fatty with the purse on her lap.

My fat compresses very well so I can cram my butt into the seat and the belt fastens OK. The last time I flew I was just trying the find the other end of the belt and the flight attendant walks by me and says in a very loud voice, "Do you need an extender??" Kinda ticked me off.....

I received a catalog in the mail once that sold items for large size people and one of the things they sold were airline seat belt extenders. I guess they had a couple different ones depending on the plane.

I've had stewards (forget the proper name) that actually made me pull up my shirt to make sure my belt was fastened and not just hiding the fact I couldn't belt myself. We have a right to fly and not be humiliated:cursing: brandyII