Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how long in the hospital?

Could you please tell me when you got out of the hospital? If it was the day of surgery, what time in the evening were you released? Also, how were you feeling the next day, and when were you ok to drive?

My surgery just got scheduled for less than 2 weeks from now, and so my husband and mom probably don't have enough notice to get time off from work. I'm trying to make a plan in my head of how I'm going to work out getting to and from the hospital, particularly because I live an hour away.

Hey hope,

It's really up to your doctor and everyone is different. I spent pretty much 24 hours in the hospital, I went in the afternoon one day and left around the same time the next day. But I would speak to your doctor to get a better idea.

I was released only a few hours after surgery. Definately, you will need a ride home from the hospital. I think I was told not to drive for a week.

I felt groggy, but relatively fine afterward. Mostly took it easy for a week.

Good luck with your plans. It is a very exciting time.

I had surgery at 7:30 and went home around 6 that night. I was glad too b/c I was so much more sore the next day that the ride home would have been worse. Please go with how you are feeling though!

Hi,

I was banded on2/28/08 and stayed in the hospital overnight. I could have went home the same day but the anesthesia really put me under I was so sleepy I couldn't get up to move around. I was in a lot of pain and was glad I did stay overnight because I was able to get the pain meds I needed, and don't even think about driving yourself home the day of surgery or even the next day. Just relax and take it easy.

I was banded on Monday.. I was at the hospital around 12:15 pm.. had my surgery around 2:15 and left the hospital around 7:00 that night.. I think I was there a little longer than most as I was having some problems with the anesthesia..

My husband was with me.. I would never have been able to make the drive home..

Yesterday was my day after and honestly I felt pretty yucky.. I was one who thought I was gonna go have it done and be back to work the next day.. Would never have happened.. I tried to go to work today and came home.. I will probably take all next week off to rest and get back to normal..

The pain hasnt seemed so bad, its mainly been the gas I think..

My surgery was late afternoon, I spent the night and was released the following day by noon. My husband drove me home.

You could probably be dropped off at the hospital or clinic but i would advise that someone pick you up at discharge.

I had surgery at 8 am and was home by 2 pm. You will need someone to drive you or you will need to take a taxi.

I had surgery yesterday March 18, I came out of recovery around 2:15, then waited for my doc to come in. I felt great and begged to be release, apparently he made an exception and I was home by 8:30. I still feel pretty god definetely more sore! the 3rd day is always the worst. So honestly good luck with everything.

I had surgery at 7:30 this morning and was home by 10:30 this morning. I left straight from recovery. I think this is very patient specific. I almost had to go back into surgery to check on some severe pain but it subsided and home I went. Pain from gas has been the worste of it other than the afore mentioned severe pain that seems to have been some spasms. Talk to your doctor if your uncomfortable. This procedure is so darn expensive and usually a one night hospital stay is included in the charge regardless if you use it.

I was released just a few hours after surgery. It is really interesting to see the responses and how different it is with each doctor. The first doctor I met with had you stay overnight. I guess it is entirely up to how your doctor operates...no pun intended!

I was banded at 8 am and home by 11 am. I never experienced any pain what so ever and I was fine the next day. I was out walking 3 dogs the next day. I would have never even known I had surgery other than the little cuts on my tummy.

I know there are a lot of people that have pain, and don't have it as easy as I did though.

I had surgery on 2/22 @ 10:30am & went home @ 7pm...My Dr wont release you until you pee. My husband was banded on 3/17 (my birthday) @ 7:30am & went home @ 2pm. We both needed a week to recoup before going back to work.