Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How may cc's for first fill?

I am getting my first fill in couple of weeks and was wondering what is the average number of CC's that one typically has filled on their "first time"?

How many did you have on your first fill?

I have a 4CC capacity band and got 1.6 on my first fill (last Monday) and feel (what I think is restriction) when I eat solids. :-)

I have a 10 cc band. I had 2 cc put in at the time of surgery (I didn't know this until I went for the first fill). They put in 2 more at 1st fill. Just had my 4th fill and now have a total of 5.5.

Straight from the manual:

INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE: BAND ADJUSTMENT

Postoperatively, the surgeon may adjust the stoma size percutaneously by injecting or aspirating saline with the access port needle via the self-sealing access port.

The following are general guidelines for LAP-BAND System adjustments:

1. The initial postoperative adjustment should occur 4-6 weeks after the operation. In most cases, you will add 1-2 cc of saline to the 9.75 and 10 cm LAP-BAND, 2-3 cc to the VG LAP-BAND, and 4 cc to the 11 cm LAP-BAND.

2. The patient should be reviewed regularly (every 4-6 weeks) and weight and clinical status measured. If the weight loss has averaged less than 1 lb per week over the period and the patient indicates there is not excessive restriction to eating, a further increment of Fluid should be added (usually 0.3 - 0.5 ml)

3. Where the average weight loss between visits has been greater than 2 lbs per week, normally no additional Fluid would be added.

4. If the weight loss has averaged between 1 and 2 lbs per week, additional fluid would be indicated if the patient feels he/she can eat too freely or finds difficulty in complying with the dietary rules.

5. Fluid would be removed from the system if there were symptoms of excessive restriction or obstruction, including excessive sense of fullness, heartburn, regurgitation and vomiting. If symptoms are not relieved by removal of the fluid, barium meal should be used to evaluate the anatomy.

Prior to doing an adjustment to decrease the stoma, review the patient's chart for total band volume and recent adjustments. If recent adjustments have not been compliant with nutritional guidelines, the patient my have a leaking band system, or may have a pouch enlargement or esophageal dilation due to stomal obstruction, band slippage or over-restriction.

Band system patency can be conformed by injecting saline into the band system, then immediately withdrawing it. An absence or decrease in fluid volume indicates a leak in the system may exist. The band may be evaluated for a leak using a radiopaque solution, such as Hypaque or Conray-43, flushing it from the band system after the evaluation. If pouch enlargement or band/stomach slippage is suspected, a limited upper GI with a samll amount of barium or gastrograffin can be used to evaluate the size of the pouch, the gastric stoma and the position of the band.

CAUTION: Insufficient weight loss may be a symptom of inadequate restriction (band too loose). Or, it may be a symptom of pouch or esohpageal enlargement, and may be accompanied by other symptoms, such as heartburn, regurgitation or vomiting. If this is the case, inflation of the band would not be appropriate.

The band internal diameter may be decreased approximately 0.5mm by adding an additional 0.4 cc of sterile saline. Excessive restriction may result in a closed stoma. Because of the possible complications that can occur with excessive restriction, a doctor familiar with the adjustment procedure must be available for several days post-adjustment to adjust the stoma in case of emergency.

Deflation (an increase in stoma size) is considered if the patient experiences frequent episodes of vomiting, is unable to swallow liquids or appropriate foods, or if there are medical indications for increasing nutrient intake. the internal diameter of the band can be increased approximatley 0.5mm by withdrawing 0.4 cc of the fluid. Elective deflation of the band is advisable in the following situations:

Pregnancy

Significant concurrent illness

General anesthesia

Remote Travel

Travel to areas where food or Water contamination is endemic.

When I went in for my first fill, the nurse asked me if I wanted to be aggressive or creep up on good restriction. I said I wanted to take it slowly -- I was about to go on a Caribbean cruise and didn't want to be pbing all the time. :shades_smile:

So I think I got 2cc's in that first fill (my band holds 4cc's), and then upped it to 2.5 about a month later.

I Had My First Fill On 3/11. 4 Weeks Post Op. Doc. Said He Was Only Allowed To Put In 1cc. Brenda

i've got the lap-band AP and my doc filled at surgery with 3ccs. i'm seeing him at the end of next week and he plans to add another 1cc. am feeling like i could certainly use it. my hunger pangs are back and getting stronger. sigh.

Just got back from my doctors office. Had surgery on Feb 13 and this was my 5 week follow-up with the surgeon (I had my 2 week follow up earlier). He asked me how I was doing, and how I felt. I told him I was continuing to lose weight, but that I did not feel any restriction and was able to pretty much eat anything. I have been very disciplined though and have stopped eating when I know I could have eaten more. I have also been very active in the gym.

To answer your question, based on my feedback, surgeon gave me 3cc's in a 10cc band today. This was the first fill (first time "eligible" according to my dr.). Process was a cinch (took less than 5 minutes including drinking the Water afterward) and painless. Doctor suggested mushy/very soft foods next two days and to just be carefull when going back to more solid foods, as I should start feeling restriction.