Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know it sounds so stupid, but I am very afraid of needles and especially of getting my blood drawn. I faint just even talking about it. I have my full physical on Wednesday morning and have to get all of my pre-op blood work done. Does anyone else out there feel the same way?

I was scared of needles stemming back to a very bad needle incident when I was a child. Never to the point of fainting, and never a true phobia, but I would get very nervous and had to turn my head. It wasn't the pain, or the blood (doesn't bother me at all), it was just the anxiety around the needle itself. In fact, once I was going out of the country for a few weeks and needed to get malaria & typhoid fever vaccinations. I could get a shot for the typhoid fever free and have it be over with, or pay $200 and have a pill regimen to follow. I did the $200 option.

I was VERY nervous about the IV. And VERY glad to find out that my surgery center injected a bit of lidocaine prior to placing the IV. I've since had an IV without the numbing and let me tell you - much different experience. :biggrin:

You know fills are done with needles, yes?

Just tell the phlebotomist about your fear. They see it all the time. They can tell you exactly what's happening, or tell you nothing if that's how you prefer it. If you can, take a friend or SO so you have a hand to squeeze. Not because there's any pain, but it helps direct some of the tension.

I know it sounds so stupid, but I am very afraid of needles and especially of getting my blood drawn. I faint just even talking about it. I have my full physical on Wednesday morning and have to get all of my pre-op blood work done. Does anyone else out there feel the same way?

I've been having my blood drawn several times a year since I was14. I'm 50 now, so I'm pretty used to it. :biggrin:

Do they have a hard time finding a vein? It's always worse if they have a hard time. When the nurse ties the band around the top of your arm, make sure you make a tight, tight as you can, fist. This helps a lot.

Tell the nurse about your problem! Tell them that you will probably faint. Ask if they will use the thinnest needle they can. The thinner the needle, the less you feel it.

The only way you will get over this problem is to push past it. Make yourself watch! No, I'm not crazy, watch them do it. When you see it being done, you'll see that it's no big deal. Really! You'll wonder why you were so afraid.

Finally, if you are afraid of the prick of the needle when it goes in, ask if they can give you a topical numbing before they stick you.

Actually, it goes much faster when you are not afraid. BTW, I don't think you are afraid of needles, you are just anxious about having your blood drawn.

You can do it!! I know you can! :(

BTW, from the time that I was banded until now I've had I don't know how many labs taken, a second surgery, boosters come due, 6 medical injections, and 5 additional IVs (without numbing), had to get a steroid series in my back, and am pregnant. Let me tell you - the whole desensitization idea really works. :biggrin:

Oh, good idea on requesting the thinner needle. Recently I've had blood taken with a fairly large needle, and on the same day had it done with a teeny tiny little thing that looked like a butterfly with a thin tubing tail(blanking on the name). Neither hurt, but I felt the butterfly a lot less. If we can get the name of it, see if they could use that. The needle was *tiny*.

Duh, they're called butterfly needles.

I've had that tiny needle too. I know just what you are talking about. I think a mosquito bite hurts more! Heh heh.

Every nurse I've ever had draw my blood has said that men are the biggest babies when it comes to having their blood drawn.

I used to faint when I had blood drawn. Years ago when i got married they did blood testing, well b'fast ended up in the parking lot. The more often I had to get blood drawn, the better I got at it. Still have some apprehension, not so much from the blood draw but just embarrassed that I'll pass out again. Now if I think I feel faint, I just tell the person drawing the blood that I have a history of fainting.

The fills usually go okay and they have found the port on the first try MOST of the time. The other times it hurt a little, but just the kind of hurt where you say "ow" but it isn't like shockingly bad.

I prefer not to look!

Thank you all for your advice! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I think it's just something I have to push past mentally, because all of you are right...it doesn't REALLY hurt, it's just in my head.

I have a weird fear of needles .. Well I should say reaction... If I can not see what happens I react in a violent way. When I was 12 I was watch them give me my immunizations and at the last minute he turned my head and poked me. My mom said my arm came up and broke his nose. He labeled my records as "violent reaction to needles" ...

Second time I was fighting the ER doctor about putting a shot in my rear. I told him I can't do that I have to watch I have to see the needle. He went on ahead and jammed it in my cheek (he was an arsehole) my elbow went flying back and made contact ... that was the second persons nose I broke cause of a shot. I told him, warned him that if I am poked or prodded with no way to see what is happening I tend to react violently to the pain, especially since I was already in pain and he was refusing to dim the lights (massive migraine).

He tried to have me arrested for assault but after even the nurses warned him (one of them was moonlighting in the ER but she worked for my PCM during the week and KNEW my story) and he got hold of my records which had in BOLD LETTERS "MUST WATCH ANY AND ALL SHOTS or patient reacts unkindly to medical personnel" .. across the front he was up the creek. Most times if I know I have to get shots and I can't get them in a "watchable spot" they will give me Valium first.

We know why I react this way too, just don't know how to stop it :biggrin:

yep, there are a lot of us who fear needles. fortunately, i'm okay with the "normal" drawing blood kinda stuff but i've NEVER had an IV and that's what i'm freaking out about... that and having a breathing tube during surgery. i've never had either so i admit to being afraid but i'm not scared enough NOT to go thru with it!!

i am soooo afraid of needles - but i found it helps to read something while they are performing the blood work...or try to read something. or do multiplication in your head. or look at a "where's waldo" book! it really does help.