Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Perspectives

We are all about 4 months plus out from being Banded. Some of us started this journey over a year ago and got me thinking about what has happened over the last year.

A year ago I was researching weight loss surgery. I woke up one day and decided that I no longer wanted to be overweight. Not only could I not shop in regular stores but I was reaching a size that would force me to shop in the catalogs not store fronts. My knees were killing me. I woke up in the morning and I couldn't walk because of planters facititious (sp) and severe back pain. It just seemed everything hurt on me. I was just sick and tired of being overweight and it was restricting me. I was healthy according to the doctors but I knew that I was on a road that would lead to my down fall and worse yet but some type of disease. Worse yet I was close to hitting 400lbs. I can remember years ago saying that I would never hit 300lbs but here I was 354lbs and miserable.

In May, I bit the bullet and scheduled my appointment for my surgical consult with Dr. Lautz. I would have to wait until August to see him but his reputation was impeccable and I was so ready. In August, I saw Dr. Lautz and remember him asking me why I wanted to have surgery. My response back was have you looked at me....I am freaking fat. He chuckled and looked over my test results and said that I was a good candidate for the LapBand. I was on my journey to getting a LapBand and my date November 6th.

I followed the pre-op diet to the "T" and lost 24lbs prior to my surgery. Since the surgery, I have never looked back.

LapBand Perspectives include:

• Losing 88lbs in 4 months
  • Wearing the lowest size in the closet
  • Having your pants fall down because you need new clothes
  • Having people stop you to ask what you have done to lose weight
  • Waking up in the morning and not being in pain
  • No more foot pain
  • Buying a bra and going from a 50DD to 44DD (the girls are so excited about there new home).
  • Wearing a belt
  • No lower back pain
  • Knees don't hurt
  • Eating small portions and being satisfied
  • Putting the seat belt on it actually being loose and not having the steering wheel touch my stomach.
  • Going from a size 34 to a size 26 and almost moving into a 24.
  • Passing the 60lb weightloss goal because I never could move pass that without falling off the wagon.
  • Just being damn proud of my progress

So what are you perspectives 4 months out. Are you happy with your decision. I know that I am. I am never turning back. I love this lifestyle.

Cindy,

You are an inspiration! I just followed you from the last thread. I'm glad you started this one to help us gain some perspective, especially if we're struggling a bit. While I'm moaning and groaning about not losing fast enough and getting stuck too often, I forgot that I did lose 38 pounds. I went down 2 sizes and my back, knee, and foot pain is so much better. I can also climb a flight of stairs without panting. Yesterday, my son and I were scrolling through the photos my husband has on his cell phone and we came to one of my son and I from our cruise last July. I was 38 pounds heavier and I gasped. My stomach was in folds and my arms were straining against my short sleeve shirt. I demanded my husband delete it which he refused. I told him then he has to replace it when I get off the next 40 pounds. I have rarely allowed anyone to take my picture in years and don't remember my husband taking this one. On the other hand, seeing my progress is motivating. As the lady (also named Cindy) on the lapband commercial says, "I will never look like THAT again!"

Thanks for reminding me that I did not go through this process in vain. I will get to the end of this journey eventually.

Cindy,

You are an inspiration! I just followed you from the last thread. I'm glad you started this one to help us gain some perspective, especially if we're struggling a bit. While I'm moaning and groaning about not losing fast enough and getting stuck too often, I forgot that I did lose 38 pounds. I went down 2 sizes and my back, knee, and foot pain is so much better. I can also climb a flight of stairs without panting. Yesterday, my son and I were scrolling through the photos my husband has on his cell phone and we came to one of my son and I from our cruise last July. I was 38 pounds heavier and I gasped. My stomach was in folds and my arms were straining against my short sleeve shirt. I demanded my husband delete it which he refused. I told him then he has to replace it when I get off the next 40 pounds. I have rarely allowed anyone to take my picture in years and don't remember my husband taking this one. On the other hand, seeing my progress is motivating. As the lady (also named Cindy) on the lapband commercial says, "I will never look like THAT again!"

Thanks for reminding me that I did not go through this process in vain. I will get to the end of this journey eventually.

Good attitude. I have one for you...You are over a 1/3 of the way to goal 44% to be exact. That is very close to 50%. :rolleyes:

You are doing super.

Cindy

You are doing so great! Holy moly @ 88 lbs in 4 months!!! That is incredible!

A year ago I was binging and purging up to 5 times a day. Even though I was torturing my body, I had actually GAINED back all of the weight I had lost from being bulemic. I was very angry at myself. I was skipping my university classes due to a lack of energy and feeling hideous. A few months later I found out I had hypothyroidism. I hoped this would be my answer and I would start losing weight once I got on medication. Didn't happen. I saw a commercial for the lap band in late august and booked my surgery a month later. My family was completely against my surgery. I couldn't tell them that bulemia was a huge part of choosing to have this surgery (so that I could no longer binge or purge). Between the surgery and university I am in a huge amount of debt. I will have to live at home for another 3 years so I can pay off my debt. But it's worth it!

Anyways, I'm no longer bulimic. I go to school every day and actually feel good about the way I look, even though I haven't lost that much yet. I have never been able to turn down unhealthy food or seconds, but now I can. Most importantly, I've gained back trust in myself and I now know I CAN achieve my goals and WILL lose this weight! =)

Elizabeth,

You will get there, one pound at a time. I am older than you but my family questioned the surgery too and couldn't understand why I couldn't lose the weight on my own. Your family was just worried about you. I think it is absolutely wonderful that your bulemia is under control. The weight loss will follow. Maybe another fill or two will get you where you need to be. Stay motivated. You are young and beautiful and it's great that your self-confidence is back!

Thanks Cindy! =)

I actually reached restriction about 3 or so weeks ago and joined the gym so the combination has made me start to lose again. I'm feeling truly motivated for the first time in 3 months.

It's definitely hard when your family doesn't approve. I know my family's hearts were in the right place, as I'm sure yours were. Being overweight is complex and I feel like I knew deep down this was the right choice.

By the way, great job with the weight loss both Cindy's!! lol

Thanks Cindy! =)

I actually reached restriction about 3 or so weeks ago and joined the gym so the combination has made me start to lose again. I'm feeling truly motivated for the first time in 3 months.

It's definitely hard when your family doesn't approve. I know my family's hearts were in the right place, as I'm sure yours were. Being overweight is complex and I feel like I knew deep down this was the right choice.

By the way, great job with the weight loss both Cindy's!! lol

Lizzie...

You should be so proud of yourself with conquering Bulemia. That is a very difficult thing to do and you should be proud of your accomplishment. I know that I am. Congrats on restriction it must be a wonderful feeling.

Us Bandsters have a common perspective and isn't nice to be part of great family of support. I know that I couldn't do it without you all. Reading your posts always inspires me to do better. I don't know how some Bandsters do it without this group.

Cindy

Great thread Cindy!

I've lost 31 pounds in 17 weeks. I am very happy with that. I know for the first time since being morbidly obese that I will lose the weight and keep it off. I feel so much better. My knees don't hurt, reflux is gone and I am almost out of plus size clothing. In the past when I would lose weight I would run out and buy clothes immediately. In the past I was afraid I would gain it back or lose momentum so I would buy them while I could. Now, I am waiting to buy new clothes because I know I am going to keep losing. It is such a wonderful feeling. I started out wearing some tight 18 W's and some 20 W's and now I am in an 16. I have some regular size 16 pants that fit and some are a bit tight but I will be in them soon. My 16 W's are a little bit baggy. I can't wait to drop that damn W.

I feel better about myself than I have in years and I am a happier person because of it. I can tell you that my employees are now happy too. LOL :mad2:

I was sure I was going to die of a heart attack at 34 years old due to my eating habits. I was a junk foodaholic. I knew if I didn't do something I was going to die early. I wasn't terribly overweight, but my weight kept creeping up, not down. My s-i-l had amazing results, so I decided to get banded.

Since being banded I feel like I don't stick out as much when I'm in a group with other women.

I just noticed today my four-pack rolls on my back are down to a small two-pack.

I have way more energy.

I feel like I can finally conquer my weight - no diet ever made me feel that way.

I feel hopeful about my future instead of depressed.

Lizzie: You have accomplished a lot in a very mature way. Good for you!

Haven't we all been succesful and what a change in attitude for me. I was so miserable before having surgery. My weight kept creeping up and several years ago, I followed a weight watchers program on my own, no meetings and lost 30 pounds. It took me TEN MONTHS! Within 4 months half of it was back. I checked my ins ( a year ago FEB) and found out our policy covered WLS and attended a seminar, had a consult with surgeon, pysch and nutritionist. When it came time to submit to ins, I found I did not have the required five years of documentation. I have been overweight way more than five years, but didn't have the proof they required. Appeals, denials etc, ate up almost seven months of time. I got tired of it all and my husband and I decided we would self pay. DH is so great and VERY supportive. He saw how hard I struggled to lose that thirty pounds.

I managed to keep off 15 of the thirty pounds by the time surgery finally came ( those 15 are not included in my ticker). Ticker starts at weigh in at pre-op visit.

I am still struggling to get good restriction, but I am thrilled to death at the 32 pound weight loss. I have not weighed 184 pounds in at least twenty years or more. I've almost emptied my closet of the old clothes and I feel so much better and more confident.

One NSV is, I hardly ever spill any food on my shirt anymore. I guess it's because I can bend over the table better, now that my stomach is down.

I don't see my own "rear view" much, but my husband constantly tells me how much smaller my butt is.

It's so nice to be able to go into a store and find something I LIKE to wear instead of just anything that fits. Not buying much tho, like the rest of you, I intend to get smaller still.

So many little victories, but they all mean so much. A thin person could never understand these victories and how much they mean.

Congratulations all fellow November Nymphs!!!!!

6 lbs to get to the 50% mark! Thanks for starting this Cindy, great idea.

Lizzie: You have accomplished a lot in a very mature way. Good for you!

Haven't we all been succesful and what a change in attitude for me. I was so miserable before having surgery. My weight kept creeping up and several years ago, I followed a weight watchers program on my own, no meetings and lost 30 pounds. It took me TEN MONTHS! Within 4 months half of it was back. I checked my ins ( a year ago FEB) and found out our policy covered WLS and attended a seminar, had a consult with surgeon, pysch and nutritionist. When it came time to submit to ins, I found I did not have the required five years of documentation. I have been overweight way more than five years, but didn't have the proof they required. Appeals, denials etc, ate up almost seven months of time. I got tired of it all and my husband and I decided we would self pay. DH is so great and VERY supportive. He saw how hard I struggled to lose that thirty pounds.

I managed to keep off 15 of the thirty pounds by the time surgery finally came ( those 15 are not included in my ticker). Ticker starts at weigh in at pre-op visit.

I am still struggling to get good restriction, but I am thrilled to death at the 32 pound weight loss. I have not weighed 184 pounds in at least twenty years or more. I've almost emptied my closet of the old clothes and I feel so much better and more confident.

One NSV is, I hardly ever spill any food on my shirt anymore. I guess it's because I can bend over the table better, now that my stomach is down.

I don't see my own "rear view" much, but my husband constantly tells me how much smaller my butt is.

It's so nice to be able to go into a store and find something I LIKE to wear instead of just anything that fits. Not buying much tho, like the rest of you, I intend to get smaller still.

So many little victories, but they all mean so much. A thin person could never understand these victories and how much they mean.

Congratulations all fellow November Nymphs!!!!!

6 lbs to get to the 50% mark! Thanks for starting this Cindy, great idea.

Shortgal!

You are such an inspiration to me. Although, you have struggled with restriction you have handled it in such a positive way. I love reading your posts and know that you are doing fabulous.

Everyone is doing great and I am so damned proud of everyone. Keep up the great work.

Cindy

Thanks Cindy, I guess we all our so proud of each other becasue we know how much it means to us and how hard we are working for it.

YOU have done incredibly well. And you have proof, I mean your pants actually fell down!

I had my surgery 4 months ago today!!!

I have gone from 269.2 to 223!!

I was wearing a snug 20 and now am in some 16's!!

Last week my BP was 100/70 at the Dr.'s office!!!

I feel fantastic!!!!

I had my surgery 4 months ago today!!!

I have gone from 269.2 to 223!!

I was wearing a snug 20 and now am in some 16's!!

Last week my BP was 100/70 at the Dr.'s office!!!

I feel fantastic!!!!

:thumbup:

:Dancing_shocked:

WAY TO GO!