Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Newbies! I've been banded 21 months. Let me know if you have any questions.

I am not Julie, but I will help out if I can.... (my reply in blue)

question 1: does the port interfere with anything? (swimming, tanning, sex, exercise, etc.)

The port doesn't bother me at all. I have a fairly low BMI at this stage, and I can feel it quite easily but it doesn't stop me from doing anything.

question 2: a friend told me that eating bread was basically out. Does that mean I won't be able to eat bread again? His reason was because it kinda clumps together and won't pass through.

I am totally unfilled (by choice, I didn't want to lose anymore weight) and I eat bread on a daily basis. Brown, never white, but it's still bread. I have no problems, but some people do. It's very individual.

question 3: what about steak? Is that a possibility after being banded?

I know of people who do eat steak.

question 4: I guess this kinda hits the whole food issue...what do you do when you eat out? I was on weight watchers for a while and I could eat out if I was careful. How 'bout with a band?

I eat anything I like really. I just make sensible choices.

question 5: is the surgery an outpatient thing? Do you spend the night in the hospital? Is the stomach/abdomen swollen after surgery? If so, for how long?

I was in hospital for 2 nights, 3 days. But I am in Australia, and we do do things a little differently.

question 6: how often do you get fills? What determines when you get a fill?

I had fills as often as I needed them for the fist six months. On average every 4 weeks. Afetr that, I had one here and there. But again, that is something that is individual. Usually the determination is, if you are hungry after meals, are exercising, eating right and not losing. But that does vary from doctor to doctor.

Chickie:

Thanks for all the info. I see where you had a tummy tuck...looks like you've lost A LOT of weight. Did you get to the weight you wanted to be before you had the TT? What about your arms and inner thighs?

Chickie:

Thanks for all the info. I see where you had a tummy tuck...looks like you've lost A LOT of weight. Did you get to the weight you wanted to be before you had the TT? What about your arms and inner thighs?

Yeah, I was down to roughly 130lbs when I had my tuck. They took off less than 2lbs during the surgery (skin weighs surprisingly little) then I lost a further 20-21lbs or so before we could stop me losing. It took a total unfill for that to happen.

My arms and thighs are saggy, but nothing I can't live with. I carried a lot of my weight in my midsection, so that is why the skin on my stomach was so badly streched.

Oh my gosh do I have questions. I was banded 5 days ago. Please give me advice on these first few days. I am so bloated. When does this go away. I couldn't believe the pain but I went to work today ...long day.

Chickie:

I looked at your before & after pics. You look like a totally different person! You have inspired me. I'm much older than you (45), and have had 2 C-sections, so I have the yucky tummy now. But I've told myself that I'll get a Tummy Tuck if I get the weight off. I think the lap band is the thing for me. Again, thanks.

Chickie:

I looked at your before & after pics. You look like a totally different person! You have inspired me. I'm much older than you (45), and have had 2 C-sections, so I have the yucky tummy now. But I've told myself that I'll get a Tummy Tuck if I get the weight off. I think the lap band is the thing for me. Again, thanks.

Thank you!! I am glad that I was able to help!

And congrats on the big decision!

Oh my gosh do I have questions. I was banded 5 days ago. Please give me advice on these first few days. I am so bloated. When does this go away. I couldn't believe the pain but I went to work today ...long day.

What sort of pain Carol? If it is of a real concern, or bad pain, perhaps you should call your surgeon or at least his/her office.

We are here to help, but some questions are better aimed at medical professionals.

Not so much painy any longer but the first two days were rough.

Were you bloated for a while. Does this go down. I imagine there is swelling also. :thumbup:

So many questions.

1. Are there foods you liked before but now cannot eat- do they taste different.

2. Do you watch every calorie you intake? Still? Is this easier to maintain than before?

3. Did you tell people you were having surgery - friends, coworkers? I said I had wisdom teeth pulled.

My kids (teens) think I am a failure at will power as I have tried every diet. So far, this bad has not been easy and I don't expect easy.

Not so much painy any longer but the first two days were rough.

Were you bloated for a while. Does this go down. I imagine there is swelling also. :thumbup:

The bloating will go down. Some people say gas-eze (I think that's it) helps, but I found the best thing for me was to walk around.

1. Are there foods you liked before but now cannot eat- do they taste different.

Nothing tastes different, but I like different things now. Things that sounded just delish before don't sound as appealing.

2. Do you watch every calorie you intake? Still? Is this easier to maintain than before?

Personally, I don't count calories. I was never very good at it anyway. But I do make sure I eat from all the food groups, and that I am eating organic, whole foods as often as I can.

3. Did you tell people you were having surgery - friends, coworkers? I said I had wisdom teeth pulled.

I shouted it from the roof tops. I am not sorry that I told anyone. It made it a lot easier to deal with things in the long run.

My kids (teens) think I am a failure at will power as I have tried every diet. So far, this bad has not been easy and I don't expect easy.

It's not easy. But to be perfectly honest, it's not the hardest thing I have ever done either.

Hi There, Hope this helps.

question 1: does the port interfere with anything? (swimming, tanning, sex, exercise, etc.)

Not at all. I can do everything without a problem. The only time I can feel it is if I lie down and push on it. Otherwise, I never know it is there.

question 2: a friend told me that eating bread was basically out. Does that mean I won't be able to eat bread again? His reason was because it kinda clumps together and won't pass through.

It depends on the person. For me I eat bread fine.

question 3: what about steak? Is that a possibility after being banded?

I eat steak without a problem as well, just not much of it.

question 4: I guess this kinda hits the whole food issue...what do you do when you eat out? I was on weight watchers for a while and I could eat out if I was careful. How 'bout with a band?

I always have left overs to take home. I do order off of the regular menu.

question 5: is the surgery an outpatient thing? Do you spend the night in the hospital? Is the stomach/abdomen swollen after surgery? If so, for how long?

Yes, my doctor now does these outpatient. I'm not sure if you will have any swelling. I didn't have any. For me the most painful part was the port site.

question 6: how often do you get fills? What determines when you get a fill?

I use to get fills quite often. I am one of those with a fickle band so it took me a long time to reach optimal restriction. My doctor does fills every 2 weeks if you require one.

I don't remember all the questions but I can tell you about my experience.

I was banded at 8 am and home by 11 am. I never had any pain. I would have never even known I had surgery if I hadn't seen the little cuts on my tummy. I was out walking 3 dogs the next day. I know everyone doesn't have such an easy time as I did, but everyone is not in a lot of pain either.

My port doesn't bother me at all. I would never even know it's there unless I push on it.

I can eat bread if I chew very well. I had steak the other day. I am definitely at my sweet spot, so I am surprised I can eat bread. I have been told I wouldn't be able to eat it. I had half a jr. whopper the other day. Most of the time I choose not to eat bread though. The steak I had was about the size of the palm of my hand.

I got fills as soon as I noticed that I could eat a lot more. They were about 6 weeks apart. The last few were a combination of fills and unfills. I had too much and was very uncomfortable. Then he took too much out. I am perfect now. I am lucky that I live very close to my dr.

Thank you!! I am glad that I was able to help!

And congrats on the big decision!

You look ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL! You are also my inspiration.