Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded 4/1/08.

I was filled and filled and filled on schedule, but I only felt minor restricition. Sometime during last summer I stopped losing weight. Over the winter I started to gain it back.

Like many of you have said, not losing was triggering my ability to eat when I am not happy, which caused me to not lose, whick caused me to eat the wrong things, which made me decide that exercising was a waste of time.... blah, blah, blah. I think most of us know how that goes.

In March 09, my dr. gave me a fill that, if his calculations are right, puts my band almost at the limit that this band can take.

I am finally feeling restriction like I read about before surgery. Pain, have to stop eating, or it's going to come back, mostly breads and chicken and things like that.

I'm not gaining anymore, but I'm still making less than perfect choices. I feel like the band is finally working the way I expected it to when I started out.

I'm OK with it, because the slow fill process will be different for every person. It will be different depending on how your doctor proceeds. It will be different depending on your eating habits before surgery.

I'm actually getting past the fear that I might fail at this, too. It's just a work in process, that will be what I want it to be. If I keep making bad choices, I will get bad results. As soon as I smarten up, and stay consistent, it will show. I won't have a choice, because my stomach can't handle that much.

Thanks for listening.

I have been gone from here for a long time. This surgery did not work for me. Why? I've wondered about that for so long. However, I've known for a long time that it was not the quantity nor quality of food that was keeping me from losing. There had to be something else. I've spoken to numerous doctors over the years. No one was really interested. Even the clinic that supported me through the surgery really took me seriously. I felt like I was totally alone. BUT, I finally found a new gynecologist who listened to me. She sat for what seamed like hours listening to me tell her about all my efforts I had made over the years and finally ended with failed surgery.

After listening to my symptoms, she said I was not crazy and that there are medical reasons why some people just can not lose weight. Unless you have been in my shoes, you will never understand. I know that there are several of you who are living like me and are hoping for a resolution.

As it turns out, she diagnosed me as insulin resistant. It is not diabetes and has nothing to do with blood sugars. Look it up on the internet. It is a real medical problem and can be fixed. I started on a medication called metformin which is used to treat diabetes. It's a hard medicine to take at first but then it becomes easy.

Since then, I am losing weight! It's amazing! I eat less and exercise and I lose weight! It has nothing to do with the lap band right now since I need a fill. I was so down on myself... couldn't believe this surgery failed me. But, as it turns out, it wasn't the surgery... it was just that my body couldn't utilize the insulin.

I am so excited. It has only been 2 weeks but I have lost over 10 lbs. I couldn't lose 10 lbs at all before the medicine. I'm not selling anything... I just wanted you guys to know that there are other reasons that the surgery doesn't work. It's just not that your impatient or you are weak!

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll be glad to help!

Cindy

Thanks Cindy,

what I found in Wikipedia and answers.com was enough to get me to ask my doctor about this. I have been tested for diabetes most of my adult life without being diagnosed, but I have all the symptoms on the list.

Hi everyone. I had my surgery on 2/25 and for the first 8-9 days I lost 20 lbs. However, since then I haven't lost anything. I know this is normal but how long will it take? I am only eating 1/2 C of food at each sitting and I feel like I have given up so much and have nothing to show for it. Any words of encouragment would be great!!!

First thing to remember, this isn't a race to see how much you can loose and how fast you can loose it. We all stall in our weight loss. I have found that eating a few more calories than I normally do, I can usually get my weight loss back into action. When I start to stall in my weight loss I just remember what the turtle said to the rabbit, "SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE".

Emma, thank you for replying...... i have increased my Protein intake thinking that that was it, but that didn't work, so i guess i will try to increase my calories now.. i'm kinda shocked that i have not lost in a long time....... it embarrasses me when i see people that i know and they automatically assume that i'm going to be think all of the sudden and when they see me i don't look any different! i hate it! i try to explain that i did not have bypass and that this will take longer, but still it's embarrassing to me.........my fill is set for monday and i'm scared to have it done, to be quite honest..... i am able to eat anything without getting sick but i can only eat a small amout which i'm very happy about, but the downside is that basically the day i got off liquids i quit losing. I don't really want to have the fill, but i guess if i'm at a halt i need to do something different. i'm going to try to up my calories for the rest of the week and see what happens. thanks for the advice.

La38, sometime we have to change how much we eat and what we eat to boost the metabolism up. I had two weeks pre-op liquid diet and on it I lost 16 lbs. Then I am supposed to stay on liquid for another two weeks after the surgery. I only lost 6 lbs on the first week, and 1 lb on the 2nd week. You see, even if we are doing liquid diet, after a while, when your body got used to the same amount of liquid as well as thinking we are in starvation mode, it will stop losing. So yes up your calories intake. Regarding the first fill, your doctor will ask you how much you are able to eat now and what is your weight loss progress is like. Just tell him the truth and he will decide if it is time for you to get a fill. You could also alternate your exercise routine. Change around your exercise time and see if the scale will start moving again. I am also struggling to lose weight too. My first fill only gave a little restriction that I am still able to eat 8 OZ of food each meal and 2.5 - 3 hours later, I feel hungry again.

yes that makes sense........ does anyone know how many carbs, Protein, fat, etc. to have max a day? so far today i am at 615 calories, 53 protein, 54 carbs, and 20g fat. maybe i'm eating too many carbs or something?

yes that makes sense........ does anyone know how many carbs, Protein, fat, etc. to have max a day? so far today i am at 615 calories, 53 Protein, 54 carbs, and 20g fat. maybe i'm eating too many carbs or something?

I would try and widdle down those carbs some if it were me, and what kind of foods are u getting your carbs from??

You might even wanna ck with the Dr and make sure your calories are too low (if your body thinkgs it's starving it's not gonna let go of the weight).

hey o agree i need some help here too. i was banded 3/26 and lost 14# and i have been filled twice i am at 8cc on a 14cc band and i have stopped losing and i am scared and getting sort of depressed becuase i dont understand. i was 347 and no only 331 what is wrong!! can someone HELP ME!!!

Just beginning my new life banded on 7/9/09 lost only 10 lbs. that was in the first few days. Nothing this week at all. Afraid of failing.