Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I need a voice (or 2) of reason....

First off, this may be a bit lengthy.....;)

I am going to school to get my RN--I have been an LPN for 21 years, and working full time in addition to school.....Anyhoo--going right now to a school (community college) that is LOGISTIcally the best choice for me--not as much of a commute, etc. After this semester, I will have completed all pre-req's and the courses I am allowed to take that are required once I get into the program.

This program is super duper competetive--I have a 3.68 GPA now, will probably go up to a 3.7 at semester's end. The criteria for acceptance into the program is this--GPA over 3.5 (good for me), resident of another county (bad for me) and residency of the state of Michigan (bad for me, I live in Wisconsin on the border of Mich and Wi). So, I have always known that I very well might NOT get in there, but I am trying anyway....

To preserve my sanity, I applied to another community college--it's 2 hours from my house--another rural CC--and I have submitted all my stuff. The dean of the program has been nicely emailing me about the status of my application and tonight said I need to complete one 1 credit computer class to fulfill all the requirements and be eligible for acceptance in fall 05.

So, my conundrum, should I just proceed as I am...taking what I KNOW I need for the local CC and keep my GPA waaaay high,(thus putting ALL eggs in a basket and I might not get in) or should I take on one more class (I know, easy, but time consuming and I have a disabled husband and a 5 year old) and try for the other program--and there is no guarantee I will get in there, either! But it's a better shot, since it's based on GPA only.

Just wondering what you guys think--I can't think about it anymore--makes my head hurt.

I say aim high. Stay where they are demanding a higher GPA it means they probably have better students and with less travelling time you still get to have more family and study time. Let us know what you decide but it sounds like you can get what ever you really shoot for. Good luck

Oh thats a hard one... Is there a wait to get into the Nursing classes at either school? thats something to look at. Im going for my RN too and there is a 3year wait. Im actually thinking about traveling a 3hour drive to pass the time wait. There is only a Max of 2.0 GPA to get in. I have a 3.2GPA. I hope everything works out for you. Let us know how things turn out. Good Luck and Take Care

Whoa nelly! I hate it when stuff like that happens. I wasted a year and a bunch of money keeping my daughter in day care going to school to learn sign language...yah right...It seemed so sensible at the time and I felt like it was what I was supposed to do. The only thing I do with sign language now is help the kids choirs at church do sign language while singing...which is great but a terribly expensive non-skill. Did I mention I know NO Deaf people...

You, on the other hand, do not have all your eggs in one basket. Set yourself up. Take the extra computer class, get it behind you so that the only choice you will HAVE to make is which one when you are accepted to both. You need to get started on something in the fall if you want to get this behind you, and better to go ahead and start the real RN course work 2 hours away than nothing. I say, put yourself in position and go for it!

I still don't know how that sign language course work I did will pan out for me. At some point I will need to go back to work and I'm hoping my basic knowledge will be a good resume padding if nothing.

I guess what I'm saying is...unless that computer class is a huge time commitment outside of school and is a booger to make an "A", take it and keep your options open.

Kim: I also went through a community college where the GPA was 3.5 or greater to be accepted. I had an hour commute each way. The computer class will be beneficial in the long run and will put you one step ahead of the other school that didn't require it. Also, I think I heard that there is a nursing shortage right now and most likely you will get accepted into both programs. RN courses are hard enough without putting this added pressure onto yourself. Step back and look at which one is the better for you and your whole family. It sounds like the closer one is the better bet.

But here are some questions to ask that might help you make up your mind.

Do you know the reputation of the nursing school?

Are they both accredited schools?

How is the hospital where you will be doing clinicals, what is their reputation?

Which school seems more willing to work with you?

Is the dean of nursing approachable at one school over the other?

Talk to some of the current nursing students and get their perspective on the two schools.

GOOD LUCK!! I remember the days of RN school and all those clinicals. SIGH!! Those were the days. LOL!!

Thanks for all your input, you guys... I went to bed after posting this and thought if I was a smidge better rested, it might give me some perspective.....

So, today I am going over to the closer CC and register for a teeny computer class and just do it, as advised. That way, hopefully, I will have a choice of schools or at least a back up/plan B plan.....;)

There IS a nursing shortage, but just not up here where I live! There are more than 500 applicants for the nursing program at the closest CC--the one where I go now--for SEVENTY spots. ugh.

I don't know the stats for application for the other school, but I am thinking (maybe delusionally) that because there has been some communication with the dean--at least I am on her radar--that I have a good chance at that one--hence the emergency computer class! :)

Thanks again for your input--I welcome any more any one else has, too!

Have you looked into online courses? There are what they call fast track courses now offered through lots of colleges online where experienced nurses can advance their degree from home and clinical credits are offered through your job. (wish they'd had that when I was commuting to college!) I currently hold a BSN (baccalaureate of science in nursing) and phoenix of az keeps contacting me about advancing to MSN (masters) through them online. I live in IL... just a thought

Yes, I have looked into online--Excelsior college specifically--SUPER DOOPER expensive, tho. I feel like I am this close (can you see my hand--fingers very close together) to getting in one or the other of these community colleges........So, this morning, I went and registered for a computer class-it's online so I can do it at 4 in the morning in my pajamas, thank goodness!

Then, I will be set and just will have to wait for those two acceptance letters to roll right to my mailbox! ;)