Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where you ever worried about the surgery/ or are you?

I've had surgery before - 2 lung biopsies, bone marrow taken and a bronchoscopy(sp?) although it's not really surgery. And I was just wondering if anyone was ever worried, panicky, extremely stressed about there surgery? I never have been the only thing that worries me is recovery - I take ages to recover, it took me about 2 months to get over my last lung biopsy and stop taking the pain meds, I know that the lap band won't be the same as that but I was just wondering how everyones experiences were with it?

Hi! I had my lap-band operation on March 4. I was pretty sore afterwards, but every day that has past, I've felt better and better. In less than a week I was walking around the neighborhood. I took pain medication for four evenings and now none at all. I think if someone cut my lung, I'd be pretty sore too. Hang in there. Make sure that you discuss your fears with your surgeon. SS

My surgery was an easy one. I had meds for pain in my IV not long after coming out of the OR. Then I never took any more. The 2nd night I took a sleeping pill, but nothing else ever for pain. I had discomfort, and used Tylenol when that happen, but it was usually from over doing. I had surgery in Mexico, and on the 3rd day come home. It was an hour and a half to the airport, 5 hour flight, then another 3 and a half from that airport home.....all in one shot.

We were remodeling a home for our DD, and I was out shopping within the week. Moving slow, not lifting much, and resting---sitting watching them paint and tile.

I have had several surgeries before---and this was simple compared to them. I had a dental surgery last week----I would have much rather had band surgery again!

Do not try to be brave! If you are one of the people who has pain--take the meds!!! If you hurt, you tense up your muscles, and it makes healing harder. Take it easy, don't push yourself too hard. Let how you feel be your guide. It isn't a contest, and it isn't a race. But I honestly think you will be pleasantly surprised!

Plan ahead----put things in easy reach----have groceries already bought. Put a dining room chair next to your bed, you can use the seat as an extra night stand, and also use the chair to leverage with to get in and out of bed, so you don't have to use the stomach muscles so much. If it hurts to lie flat---and much of that will depend on where your particular surgeon places the port---sleep in a recliner, or propped up into an almost sitting position.

We will be here to help if you encounter something that is difficult!!!

As far as nerves---worrying about surgery---I imagine EVERYONE does---or should!!! Surgery is scary business, I was a nervous wreck!!

Kat

I have, after communicating with the wonderful people on this site, finally put myself at ease as far as recovery from the surgery. Now I am haunted at the idea of being that 1 of every 10,000 that dies during the surgery and that I will leave my 5 year old daughter all alone in the world (I am a single mom, no dad or family in the picture). That terrifies me and leaves me with a cold pit in my stomache. But I remind myself of the surgeon I think I will use and his expertise in these surgeries. And that I have no health problems yet and am young (will be 25 in 13 days) so the chances of me being that one are slim - or this is at least what I tell myself.

Wonder what the stats are for obese women dying of a sudden heart attack, or stroke????? Bet they are not much different.

If it would ease your mind, write a letter to be given to your DD in the event something happens, in it tell her you had the surgery wanting to better your life, to live it more fully with her......tell her what you would want her to know----and then when you come home, safe and sound you can Celebrate by burning the letter!!!

Kat

I am not by nature a worrier or a panicker, but I was totally sleepless the night before my lap band surgery. Driving away from my kids after dropping them off at mum and dad's was torture, I kept thinking I'd never see them again. I was berating myself for being so vain!

I think its because its the only surgery I've had that was totally elective - I mean all my surgeries have been elective but not so vague, there was the heel spur surgery, the caesarean, the wisdom teeth, a rhinoplasty and laser surgery on my eyes - all to fix real physical problems, I never gave them a thought, just did it and recovered. Lap band surgery in the scheme of things is a short uncomplicated surgery with low risk, so I dont know why I was so worried. But yeah, its weird. I think there's an element of its your own fault for getting like this, you ought to fix it yourself going on in our heads.

Thanks I appreciate the comments, I know I won't be in as much pain as when I had a lung biopsy but still some pain and as I think I've said I'm a slow healer so it'll be a while for me to get back on my feet, appreciate all you replying and what does DD stand for? Thanks

Sarah...DD is Darling, Dear, Damn, Doofus, Ditzy....Daughter---you pick!!!!! Same with DH=Dear husband......DW=Darling Wife.....

It all depends on the mood!!!!!

Kat

Thank you for posting this...I started thinking about bariatric surgery in 2000. I am finally in the process...the reason I did not elec to go for it then was: I was a single Mom...needed to finish raising my DD...totally get the d's on that one :thumbup:...anyway the other thing I did was talk to my PCP. He said, "Well, you are a healthy large person...and so much is being learned about all these surgeries... etc . . .so keep trying (I had lost @ 80 on Atkins then) and give it time..."

That was good advice... then......my daughter graduated from HS...I got remarried...and gained and lost 100 plus pounds...and then...Type 2 Diabetes started, I guess apnea too, sore joints, cholesteral, tri - g's, higher blood pres. etc...YOU KNOW...COMORBIDIITIES!!! HEALTHY?????

Yet, I know that I needed this time because... #1. Would I have qualified back then? #2 The lapband wasn't an option, #3 AGB just became avaliable on my insurance as of 03/01/08, #4 I have a DH to help support me through this... and LASTLY...I'm doing it for the right reasons..saving my health!!!

So, I pray they approve me soon...and that I don't have to play the denial game...and I say....

Go for it for everyone in your life, especially for yourself because this obesity thing is a REAL DISEASE...and we have struggled long enough without compassion or help... A tool for better health...not a magic cure...we deserve this...and LASTLY....there is risk everytime we go out the door, in a car, at the store, mall etc...

Thanks for listening :blushing:

I am not so nervous about the surgery, as I am post surgery weightloss and being able to stick to the diet that the surgeon has written out. I am also worried a bit about my dad, who has never had surgery nor had to take care of someone who has. I asked him a while back if he'd take the day off from work and stay with me for the day of surgery. Apparently surgery is no big deal to him because he planned on taking his wife to a Drs. appt, then coming back to the Hospital to pick me up, then go back and pick up his wife then drive me to my moms in his little tiny '80s toyota stick shift with Jerky shifting. He kept saying to me over the phone, "well someone should have told me that there was more to surgery!" And when he tried to ask his wife to reschedule her appt. She said no, he then asked her if she could get another ride and she said no you will drive me. Its 30 minutes after my scheduled surgery. So I hope that plans don't fall through, and I hope he doesn't plan on driving his car. I told him I'd rather ride in my car for comfort reasons.

Otherwise, I think the surgery will be a breeze, I've had abdominal surgery before. cut one side to the other almost as if they were going to do a lbl (lower body lift, I should of had them do it while they were exploring. eh!). You may be thinking well cant she find someone else to drive her. Ah! My mom is heading on her 16th surgery on the 19th (brain related) so she and her husband have been told to stay away from the hospital. And also, my dad has gotten off pretty much scott free for taking care of the "big" tasks with me and my siblings, our mom's pretty much took care of everything, and I THOUGHT he was feeling left out, so I thought it might of made him feel like a DAD if I included him this time. Apparently, it doesn't matter. Don't get me wrong he's a great dad when it comes to boy things, like cars, camping and fishing. but he has no knowledge if its medical related.

Sorry I am just venting. You all don't know me, so I have to add in details.

Trust me, I've been told by people who have had slipped bands and everything that the surgery is the easy part. The hardest part is over once you reach the pre op room on the day of your surgery.

I may have to agree with that, I went threw hell to get everything together for surgery. It took almost 6 months, but everything is done now!

Surgery Here I come!

Peace to everyone!

Jtorie...we all wish you well! I hope your Dad pulls through for you...you are in may prayers and keep us informed.