Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a fill / insurance question

I've been lurking on the boards for about a month now and finally decided I had a very important to ask all of you experienced bandits..

I had my realize band put in 2/4/08. Best decision I ever made in my life -- no regrets whatsoever. Now, I'm beginning to feel as if I don't have as much restriction as I hoped for. I've been on regular food for 2 weeks and I know I could more than the allotted 3-4 oz. but I choose not to. I've lost anywhere between 19-23 pounds thus far which I know is incredible but I haven't lost any of it since I went to solids.

I was under the assumption that fills could happen at any time post-op as I've seen so many of your posts and noted that many of you have had fills at 1 month post-op. My doctor's office is saying that I cannot have a fill until the 91st day post op which puts me to May!!!! This seems so unfair to me since I want this to be successful and my insurance company says that it CAN be done within that 90 day period following surgery. Has anyone else experienced this type of issue with their fills? Are you all having no problems with your physicians?? I love my doctor (Dr. Abkin) and I have another post-op appointment with on 3/27 and plan on discussing with him further then. Any information I can gather before then would be so helpful!

I love reading all the posts here; you all have been so helpful especially during the liquid phase without even knowing it! :drool:

Your ins. company probably won't pay your Dr for fills during the 90 day post op period. It probably encompasses all visits during the 90 day period as part of the surgery procedure payment.

so if your Dr. waits until 91 day, they can bill ins co.

If I am correct on this, it is very unfair of your Dr. to do this to his patients. A fill takes very little office time and VERY little cost. A syringe with a needle and saline. THIS IS ASSUMING HE IS NOT USING FLOROSCOPE, as those are more costly with an x-ray tech/radiologist.

I have a very similar story. Although I feel no "restriction", I am able to just stop eating at will. I lost a lot of weight immediately after surgery during the 2 weeks I was on liquids/mushies, but have leveled off since I have been back on "normal" food. No surprise there. I am still losing, just at a much slower pace, which is good! Your body is probably just catching up with the Water weight you lost so be patient as you get through this plateau. My doctor says he MAY give me a fill at my 5 week appointment (Tuesday), but not definite. I think they want to assess my progress and eating habiys before they do anything. I am fine with that. I see him and his nutritionist every month for the first year for any adjustments (fills) that I may need. I trust my doctor and speak openly with him regarding any issues I have. Sounds like you like your doctor as well and hopefully you can have an open dialogue with him too. Good luck !

JustMarci

90 days seems like a long time and we all want to lose weight right away (or we wouldn't be in this situation) but in the scheme of things 90 days is not really bad - my first fill is at 60 days and I'm thinking that may be too soon. If you are sticking to a reasonable diet you will lose weight long term - 4 to 5 pounds a month is what my doctor says is best for permanant weight loss - even with the lap band. I only check the scale weekly - am less concerned with the scale and more concerned about my clothes getting looser and looser and putting more holes in my belts.

He doesn't do the fills in the office; he does them in the hospital under flouroscopy. He counsels all his patients in the beginning that the reason why he does it this way is because you have fewer "misses" and he can ensure a positive experience that way.

I know my original post sounded a bit whiney...I'm so excited I did this and this 20 pounds I'm down is the fastest I've ever seen any type of weight loss on any type of program. I'm just so frustrated in not seeing the scale move at all for 2 weeks straight. I'm following their guidelines strictly with the help of all the fabulous recipes I found here and I get all my Water in and my protein/drinks. I know we are only supposed to lose 1-2 a week and I'd be so happy if I saw that in the past 2 weeks.

those of you going through something similar have you gone back to mushies to give yourself a boost???

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches