Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Demand Your Fills

If I demanded anything from my surgeon, I would be shown the door rather quickly.

Yes, I know my body... But I also know that I have to listen to my doctor.

My Dr has a strict fill schedule, he wont even think about doing them without 6 weeks in between them.

I got a fill on the 26th of Feb, and I can really feel it this week, so the tighness has kicked in...

I guess the dr knows best....

Once you are healed enough and it's time to receive fills, I think it's important to explain how much you are able to eat comfortably and how quickly after eating you are hungry again. Don't be vague. If you can hold more than a cup and it's emptying within 45 minutes say so. If you can only hold 1/2 cup and it's staying in there for 3 hours but you demand a fill, I doubt you will get it and you'll probably be sorry if you do. :grouphug:

Once you are healed enough and it's time to receive fills, I think it's important to explain how much you are able to eat comfortably and how quickly after eating you are hungry again. Don't be vague. If you can hold more than a cup and it's emptying within 45 minutes say so. If you can only hold 1/2 cup and it's staying in there for 3 hours but you demand a fill, I doubt you will get it and you'll probably be sorry if you do. :smile2:

I do that every time i get a fill., its up to me to schedule the fill , once i do i sit down with my doc and he asks me quite a few questions and determines if i need a fill or not .

I think most docs are like this.

Mindy

I do that every time i get a fill., its up to me to schedule the fill , once i do i sit down with my doc and he asks me quite a few questions and determines if i need a fill or not .

I think most docs are like this.

Mindy

i wish!! i have only seen my surgeon once after my post op appt and that's cause i was having port pain/issues...

his philosophy is dont need to see you unless there are problems.

I wish my doctor was like that. My doctor needs to see me once a month for the first 6 months, then every 3 months after that. Then after a year two times a year.. UGG.. he wanted me to set my first fill up exactly 4 weeks after and after that, every 3-4 weeks until I reach proper restriction. Because he likes us to reach restriction very slowly. He said it might even take 4 fills for me to reach proper restriction.... The good thing about his requirements is, if you are cash pay, all fills and dr. visits are free for a year. But, since I'm insurance I guess we have a different deal and I have to pay my co-payment of 25 bucks each visit and fill.

i wish!! i have only seen my surgeon once after my post op appt and that's cause i was having port pain/issues...

his philosophy is dont need to see you unless there are problems.

Oh that's too bad , I see my doc EVERY Visit , fill or not . And he does all my fills himself.

that's why a reason i picked him, He does not spend a lot of time , its not needed when its a fill. But he spends as much time as I NEED with me .

He's great.

Mindy

I wish my doctor was like that. My doctor needs to see me once a month for the first 6 months, then every 3 months after that. Then after a year two times a year.. UGG.. he wanted me to set my first fill up exactly 4 weeks after and after that, every 3-4 weeks until I reach proper restriction. Because he likes us to reach restriction very slowly. He said it might even take 4 fills for me to reach proper restriction.... The good thing about his requirements is, if you are cash pay, all fills and dr. visits are free for a year. But, since I'm insurance I guess we have a different deal and I have to pay my co-payment of 25 bucks each visit and fill.

My fills are free for a yr . I pay $125 for flouro to the hospital .

The first 3 fills I had they were about every 6-8 weeks . then my last once i stretched out to 12 weeks , I had some issues with being able to tolerate 1cc fills . And the first 2 fills i had to go back and get .5 cc's taken out . So i wanted to see if waiting a bit longer helped plus we ( doc and I ) that .5cc fills or smaller is what we will do from now on to avoid unfills. Im not required to see him any certain time.

except i think at one yr . But i see him enough as it is and i can see him when ever lOL I can call on Monday and be in to see him anytime that week .

Mindy

One reason I chose my Bariatric Program and Surgeon is because they are a Center of Excellence and have been doing WLS surgery as pioneers back in the 70's as a surgical group. They have studied their patients and know what they are doing.

They also know what works and does not work. Yes every patient is different and all of that but the basics are the same for all patients. As for being your own advocate that should be a given. However, when it comes to the lapband and fills, I think the surgeons know best on this issue. I think you are asking for many many complications, when you go pushing for fills that are not needed, or are too much all at once.

This is a SLOW process, not speedy gonzalez.....if you want speedy then LAPBAND should never have been your decision.

With that being said, I have not had a fill yet and I am losing just fine. I don't mean to sound flippant here, but I think there is far more head hunger than true hunger that rush people off for fills........and if you can't differentiate these types of hunger then that is Bandster hell for certain.

My surgeon explained to me that fills are there if needed, they are not just given because. You need to evaluate the patient's diet, what they are eating daily, what type of exercise they are doing, and what amount of Water they are drinking, he said if after all of that is within band guidelines, and the patient is not losing the 1-2 pounds weekly then and only then should a fill be considered.

Not just because the patient THINKS they need one! My two cents!:biggrin:

It's very understandable to want to feel restriction ASAP after surgery. However, this is major abdominal surgery and allowing a healing period is very necessary for long term positive outcomes with the band. I would advise listening to the surgeon concerning the first fill policy. After that, I agree that the patient is the one who knows when a fill is needed and should be proactive in getting it.

I agree completely with you. I get banded next month and I'm going to take your advise.

We should never get in too big a hurry for the 'next' fill......it often takes one or two weeks for a fill to kick in. Going back too soon is asking for trouble. We need to act like a grown-up and use some common sense with this band....the goal is not weight-loss by puking, the goal is to modify our eating habits and get healthy.

I agree with you completely. You say you finally have restriction, what does that feel like to you? I was banded 9/27/07 I have had 4 fills going on my 5th next week. I can eat 1/2 cup of food and if I go over that my shoulder kills but with only eating 1/2 cup I am hungry again in 2-3 hours. Can you share your thoughts with me?

With that being said, I have not had a fill yet and I am losing just fine. I don't mean to sound flippant here, but I think there is far more head hunger than true hunger that rush people off for fills........and if you can't differentiate these types of hunger then that is Bandster hell for certain.

I can see where your coming from Kristin - but Bandster Hell should not last 5 months. For those just now getting their first/second fill, that may be the case, and a slower rather than faster approach in getting fills is really advised while healing.

I run a ranch, and am in the gym 5/6 days a wk - Very active...And I struggled with hunger. I used a lot of will power & patience while waiting for proper restriction ** for me retriction means i eat my high Protein meal 3 times a day...and do not feel hungry between meals**. My surgeon allows for fills every 2/4 wks till you get to restriction - I averaged one every 3 wks, I allowed 2 wks to see if it "kicked" in...Never did till now - just after 6 is when I got, what I've read about for so long. Fill #7 is around the corner , and I'm likely not going to need it - going to my appt though, may get a pinch??? You are extremely luck to not have needed a fill -

Lulu~

For me personally I have found out that it can take up to 4weeks for my max restriction to kick it. I found it out the hard way. I did wait about 3 1/2 weeks after my first fill, then after reading thru the forums and people suggesting I go get another I went. Bad decision!! I had to have an emergency unfill (twice since my doc didn't take out all of my second fill the first time.) Once I had all of my second fill taken out, I have found that my first fill is on the tight side, and has been for 4months now. I guess I probably should have had it all taken out to let my stomach rest and recoup, but, being a self pay, I didn't want it all taken out. I am not loosing weight fast, because I can't eat any hard protien (hardly) it has really been a struggle. I really wish I hadn't had my second fill. Please give you fill time to kick in. Everybody's body is different. If you don't feel restricted after two weeks then talk to your doctor, but please don't demand fills until you give the first fill a chance to kick in. You will really be sorry if you get too tight!!