Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill - Seriously...it's that easy?

Well, just got back from my first fill. I've had longer coffee breaks. Went in, weighed on the amusingly large scale, walked in exam room, listened to doctor and nurse complement my weight loss (giggled and blushed and told them to keep it coming), quick numbing shot, found port first try, band-aid, pat on back from doc, "Keep up the good work", drank a cup of Water to make sure not too tight, and out the door. 10 minutes tops. My car was still warm. (A rare thing during an Indiana winter).

Now let's see if I remember how to live on liquids. :blink:

pretty amazing, yes? I was underwhelmed by how overwrought I was for my first fill also....

It takes me nearly 3/4 of a day to drive both ways, fight through the traffic in the jaws of hell, wait for my turn, wait in the little office, and BAM! it's done!!!!

Oh...I can relate to the fight through the traffic in the jaws of it!!!LOL

none worst than Atlanta traffic of course(well there is worst)....

glad your first fill was smooth!

Congrats on the loss!

Jack - you are awesome. I love finding your insightful and often witty posts throughout this forum.

Sorry about that traffic! When I found out that my surgeon's office was literally within walking distance from my home (maybe not until warmth returns to Indiana, but technically doable) I guess I took the message from On High that I was supposed to bite the proverbial bullet and do this thing!

I'm glad to hear your first fill went so well.

It's so funny - I'm more worried about my first fill than I was about the surgery! I don't wanna do it - I don't wanna do it!

I've still got at least 3 weeks - I was banded on 2.15.08, but I really don't want to do it. They said around 6-8 weeks after being banded is a good time to get your first fill. While I want these weeks to fly by, so I can loose more weight, I don't want the day to come for my fill.

I'm such a sissy! I wish they could knock you out for the fill - haha.

On a side note - I see everyone has a ticker, is your weight loss from the date of band or from pre-op diet?

Thanks for any comments.

Peace,

M

My weight loss is from January 1, when I unofficially started my pre-op diet. I had lost 13 pounds prior to surgery and have lost 14 officially since surgery. I think I have lost more but don't want to update the ticker until I weigh on an official scale, either at my doctor's office or Curves.

StLouisGal,

We were banded on the same day! I was banded in Mexico - my insurance would not cover it. They wanted a BMI of 40+, and I wasn't willing to gain weight in order to do it.

You are just starting solids, too. Are you nervous? How have you been doing?

Peace,

M

I feel better than I have felt in years. I actually have enough energy to take a walk. I've lost in the neighborhood of 18 pounds since surgery but I don't really trust my scales at home so I haven't updated my ticker. The liquids aren't bad, I got really tired of chicken broth and other clears but the full liquids and mushies are pretty good. Had refried Beans and salsa last night. It tasted very good.

You are doing terrific too! I was lucky that my insurance paid for my band. I was way over the limit (BMI of 47 when I started this journey. I think it is something like 42 now.) You are really fortunate to get it when you are so young. You will get to enjoy many more years of your children's lives feeling well enough to go out and do their activities. I did this so I would have enough energy to keep up with grandkids (if I ever get any) I feel like I really missed out on a lot of my kids activities because I was heavy and didn't want to or couldn't participate.

There's no time like the present! That's what I say now. No matter your age, knowing you are a woman of purpose and taking control of your life - there's no time like the present.

I'm overjoyed that the Lap Band is available for those who need it. I am honoring the commitment I've made to myself to take this time and care for myself as well as I care for others. I never thought it would be my greatest challenge!

You go girl! :tongue: As hard as it is for us Moms to take care of ourselves, ya gotta do it. You are off to a great start. How many little ones do you have?

I've got a little boy who will be One in April and a little girl who will be 3 in April. They share the same birthday - isn't that crazy! Born the same day, 2 years apart.

I plan on being there, running around the soccer feild, playing on the beach and all that with them. This is my start.

That is great, only one birthday party! My two were born exactly 23 months apart. They are 27 and 29 now. Enjoy every minute, it goes by fast.

NewcastleMamma - Thanks! Don't worry about that fill - reading most fill related posts around here - most are quick and painless.

I agree w/ StLouisGal, and my ticker weight begins the day I started my pre-op diet on January 7, 2008. I think I worked harder on the 4 weeks pre-op than I've ever worked on a diet in my life! My surgery was self-pay and I was determined to give it every chance to succeed. Of my weight loss so far, 27 lbs pre-op and 14 lbs post-op.

I'm with you - I'm doing this for my boys (8 & 3). Our summer vacation this year involves an amusement park and so help me - I'm fitting on any roller coaster I want to ride!

Congrates Becca! You are doing really great! I am happy to see that my 14lbs isn't anything pathetic. I was looking at some of these weight loss tickers, and wondering what I was doing wrong - seeing so many people with such large numbers. Then it dawned on me it might be from pre-op and post-op. I chose to just start my weightloss journey from the day I was banded.

Good Luck!! I hope we can follow each other's journey!