Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Spiegel - Would you recommend him?

Hello,

I'm considering having lap band surgery by Dr. Spiegel. I'd like to know if you've used him and if so, would you recommend him and how would you describe your experience with him.

He banded me on the 27 of March and i feel great. He explained everything to me and answered all of my questions, so to me he is Great.

I researched and researched and he has such great success and is really the top surgeon in the US. Don't expect him to guide you through every single thing - you are paying him to install the band - surgeons are a different breed of people. If my insurance wouldn't have covered him, I don't think I would have used my insurance. I probably would have had to wait a few years and be self pay. I really respect him that much.

Hi, he banded me on January 30, 2008. I think he is probably the best and he has the experience behind him. Don't expect him to spend lots of time with you discussing everything...he has a great staff to handle that. I also attend his support groups in his Galleria area office and he actually does most of the talking and I have found it to be very very informative.

Good Luck!

He banded me yesterday! I'm home and feeling bloated but okay. I went to him several years ago and couldn't get covered by my insurance. My insurance changed this year and so I decided to try again. When I found that this policy wouldn't cover bariatric surgery either I went ahead and self-paid. I really think I made the right decision.

Texgirl and camrynsmommy that is awesome!! I wish both of ya'll lots of luck. Please keep in touch and we might all run into each other at office visits.

I had the option of him and the doc I actually used.. I wasnt impressed with him..I kinda thought he came off as an arrogant a**. I realize that hes very successful doc but I was more comfortable with my doctor who took the time to spend quality time with me..I even had pics drawn for me by my doctor! lol..I just felt like a number with spiegel, whereas at my doctors office they recognize me when i walk in..even once when i came on the wrong day! lol

but these are just my impressions!

I was also banded by him on 3/7/08. He's been very informative so far. My husband went to the seminar with me back in Feb and thought his presentation was very thorough as well. My process was very fast! I would recommend you going in for a seminar to hear his explanation. I don't think you're obilgated to schedule a consult, but you may want to call to confirm prior. Hope this helps! :thumbup:

I wonder if the other 2 that replied that were banded the same day were someone I saw. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to talk to anyone while I was there. I wish you all the best of luck!!!:thumbup:

How funny! My surgery was at University General but I am from the Beaumont area so attended the seminar in his Port Neches office. My post-op is Thursday in his Houston office though.

I was band by Spiegel in 2005. The first night I had problems with nausia and I called him late at night and he returned my call. His office staff is always nice and return my calls/emails. His exprience alone says volumes. Good Luck! One thing to keep in mind is SUPPORT GROUP. It really helps.

Cool! Same here...surgery at UGH! Probably saw each other. There were quite a few people from what I understand. I'm also scheduled in his Houston office tomorrow @ 1:30. Would be cool to meet you & keep in touch!

I think Dr. Spiegel is a great surgeon. Very few have ever had complications and none due to his technique to my knowledge

Good luck

I had my sugery June 07, Spiegel will tell you just how it is. It is up to you to do what he tells you to. If you want the best it Spiegel. If you want someone to hold your hand, he's not for you. I would not use anyone else!