Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats Up with the Shoulder Pain??

HI all!! I will be banded on March 7th and have been tryin to prep myself best as I can thru reading this site! LOVE IT!

I have a question tho.. whats the link between the shoulder pain and the lapband?? and I have heard so many things from slight pain to UNBEARABLE! YIKES!

whats up with that??

~Destynee~:thumbup:

Hey..congrats!! The shoulder pain is most likely due to the CO2 that is left in the abdomen from surgery, which in turn causes gas..some experience it only for 1 day..some a few days to a week..sooo.it's just gas hunny..no worries...walking is the best relief of gas..also I have heard if you do the "doward dog" its a yoga thing..or you could get on all fours and rock back and forth!!! It works!!! Good luck!!

I took gas-x for a couple of days and drank warm liquids. It seemed to help. Walking also helps.

As was already said, its from the gas they use to 'inflate you' to make it easier to view and work inside you.

Mine lasted about 2 days and was not too terrible, but was told to walk and walk and walk some more to get rid of it. That worked, the more I walked the better I felt.

Hi! Was banded on 2/19. Pain was awful!! However, I am a weenie and I believe that my pain level was not the case for most. However, it is all better and I am down 15 pounds. If you have any pain tolerance whatsoever, you will be fine. Someone even posted that they went to the mall after they left the hospital!! soooo jealous. Good luck!

I'm not trying to contradict anyone or even scare you but they started telling me that mine was "gas" from the surgery the first couple weeks after my surgery. However gas from the surgery doesn't stay in your body that long. So my surgeon has changed his tune now.

I do have the pain in my left shoulder that you read so much about on this site but the weight loss has superseded the pain. It's different for everyone, as you've seen, but for me its more of an annoying thing than anything. It can be painful in the morning for me especially and if I eat a little too much my shoulder lets me know. But I've learned ways to get around the pain.

Like for example; when I first wake up in the morning if I'm laying in a certain direction it almost feels like a huge air bubble is crawling up the front of my chest and it settles into my left shoulder. I simply hurry up and change my position or sit up all together.

My theory is that it is some sort of gas caused from the band just not the gas they put in you during surgery. Id never experienced anything like it until having this surgery but like I said earlier... I wouldn't change a thing.

Good luck and who knows you may be like others and never have that feeling.

I was banded on 02/01. I experienced the upper shoulder pain for about a week and a half. And it was the worst part of my surgery. It nearly brought me to my knees on several occasions. My doctor explained it as a referred pain from the band. It was a differant feeling than the gas pain. It hurts, but it didn't keep me from everyday functions and it did eventually go away. Don't worry - it will be fine. Not everybody has that pain.

My surgeon also explained that there is a connection between the stomach and left shoulder - and than any messing with the stomach will cause referred pain in the left shoulder. It isn't gas (that is uncomfortable, but feels different). I actually was all prepared for it, and didn't have any shoulder pain at all, but I've heard a heating pad works well.

There is a nerve that runs from the abdomen up to the shoulder and ( I thnk to the brain) called the vagus nerve. The band, the surgery and swelling causes the nerve to be aggravated, hence the pain. The gas at surgery can cause it, too.

At my last fill, I got some swelling around the band and that left shoulder pain came back ( much milder this time, than surgery), it diminished and was only there if I hiccuped or burped. now it's gone.

I suspect I'll get it again at next fill. It's not that bad and I use it as a signal that I have some restriction.

For more info on the vagus nerve do a google search.

I got banded yesterday and came home from the hospital today. Although my stomach is sore, the most pain is from the left shoulder. I have walked a bit and taken Gas-x. But believe me, if this is the worst pain, then you will be fine. I was surprised how good I felt after surgery and am actually going back to work tomorrow. Good luck Destyknee!! You will basically feel like you did too many sit ups. No worries........

Right now I don't care what it is called but it hurts like HELL! I don't want to scare you but I wasn't prepared and I was very worried about the pain, if I knew how bad it could be then I wouldn't have worried as much. I think I have an average tolerance for pain and before I take my pain meds I am at about a 8 out of 1 through 10. :shades_smile: I am taking others' advice and hoping it gets better by the day.

I got banded yesterday and came home from the hospital today. Although my stomach is sore, the most pain is from the left shoulder. I have walked a bit and taken Gas-x. But believe me, if this is the worst pain, then you will be fine. I was surprised how good I felt after surgery and am actually going back to work tomorrow. Good luck Destyknee!! You will basically feel like you did too many sit ups. No worries........

What kind of job do you do to be able to go back to work so soon? My Doc is saying that I should stay home for 3 weeks!!!

I have a desk job - had my surgery on Thursday and was back at work on Monday. It seems like reading through the forum, everyone has different pain levels, and healing times. I'd plan for a longer time, as you can probably go back to work earlier if you are feeling good.