Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone just packed up and left?

Has anyone just packed up and left? Not really told anyone until after the fact?

I have been thinking for a couple of years to move. I always go on vacation or to visit someone and I think I would love to live here. For years I kept going to Vegas, thinking I really wanted to move there. Now I am thinking more rational (I think) and not just wanting to move to vacation spots. Almost everywhere I go I want to move too.

I have lived in this area my whole life. My college was only 30 minutes from home. I like it here, but at the same time it's getting old. I think I need a change of scenery. I am bored w/life and it's depressing.

I am single, no kids, I hate my job, and just feel like running away!! I am wondering if I am being irrational. I don't have a lot of $$, but I have gotten myself almost debt free over the last couple of years, so I wouldn't have a lot of bills to pay.

I am just praying on it and debating where I would go. I just wish I had a sign. I have been going to GA for my fills and I really like it there. Plus, it's only 6 hours from home which can be the good and bad. I would rather go somewhere more fun like Vegas or LA.

I would miss my friends and family, but we could all visit. My parents will completely freak out if I go anywhere.

I might be just having the birthday blues, but I don't think so. My father keeps reminding me that I am almost 30. Then my sister called to remind me I was almost 30, even though she's 5 years older than me!! I just want to sit and watch chick flicks all day.

I would love to hear some advice or from someone that's just packed up and left.

It seems more fun to just drive until you get somewhere, but I am a planner. I plan everything.

At 24, I had been home about a yr (NYC) after college & a stint in overseas studies and I hated it. Was born raise in LI - attended undergrad studies at NYU and thought - I just needed to go back there and start "working"....It was not my thing, and I just packed up and moved to TX - Dallas - where I had met some friends in Europe that were from there.

Best decision I EVER made. My family was shocked, but they got over it. I found the perfect job, perfect husband....and now I quit Corp world 2yrs ago and am on a Ranch - working it, like all my NY friends continue to laugh about...Think "Green Acres"...LOL

Now - I have 2 brothers here in TX - Part of my husband family as well, and I don't regret for a moment my decision.

I must admit I'm extremely impulsive - I was "broke" for a bit, but I just managed and loved my new surroundings....I wouldn't trade my field of cows for the honking of cabs for anything...In the end you'll know if your ready for a change - All the best!!!

Lulu

I am glad everything worked out for you. And it gives me hope. How did you decide on TX? Was it b/c you already knew some people there?

I wish I could be more impulsive. My goal is by the summer to save up some more money. If I don't find another job here, by then I am gone.

The hardest part for me now is figuring out where I want to go.

Texas was a pretty easy choice - I knew some people here, HATED the cold, and was a lover of animals. Having 6 dogs like I do now was definitely not an option in a small loft:)

If you know someone, in one of your "possible" locations - that's a big help. Google those cities, find out the "Single life , Job Market , Housing Market etc" if your not that impulsive. Do some real research on what it will take to up and move by X date.

I knew NY was not for me - so that made my decision extremely easy... Even though I left ALL my family.., Now - I can't get rid of them since they all want to visit constantly:).

Do you work for a company you could transfer with?

If not look into job fairs---then you could make a change with purpose, you would have a job to go to. Many offer help with locating housing etc.

If you are wanting to move to Vegas, look into it! Go to the cities website, and look up job fairs. Check out their newspaper on line, look at the cost of living, what the crime rate is (which in the case of Vegas is really not relative as it would be in other places), see how the work is in the field you work in. See if there is something else you might want to train in...offering any options.

My DD's, brother in law, did that, he ended up changing fields, he was planning an engineering degree. Then one spring break he went with a bunch to a reservation and helped build some houses. He fell in love with the area and the people, so he checked into it,and is now an optometrist, they put him through school in exchange for his agreement to work on the reservation for 5 years following graduation. He is loving life now!

If ever there was a time to explore your options--now is it! No kids, no spouse with a career to consider!

If you choose not to do it, you will always wonder. You can always change your mind and come home....the saying is wrong, you really can come home. We did it, but only after 9 states and 2 countries!!!

Keep us posted, how exciting this could be for you!!!!

Kat

I know a few people at one of my possible locations (GA). I know they both like it there. We're not that close so for me it would be good. I kind of want to go some where that I really don't know anyone. Kind of like starting over.

Kat,

Do you work for a company you could transfer with?

I actually thought about that. I looked on the website earlier. They had a few openings. We have 7 locations in the U.S. total? My top 3 choices are Irvine (CA), Atlanta (GA), and Jacksonville (FL). I am just wondering if I want to stay w/the company. I have been w/them almost 3 years. We just had a pretty big layoff before Thanksgiving. I don't really like the company, but I may like it more @ a different location. Plus, it would be so much easier moving and already have a job.

I have a BA in History, so I really don't have a field. I want to go back to school in the next year. I am presently lacking direction, so I am open to anything I can do or learn.

I really don't know what I want to do in life. Maybe moving will help to give me some direction in life.

I really appreciate both of your posts. It's got me thinking.

Thanks

I am really open. I am a Tax Research Analyst at the company I work for now. It's pretty boring, doesn't pay much. In my dept, our goal is to keep mortgage companies from losing properties. We track properties, make sure taxes are paid, and if we have to we pay the taxes for the homeowner (which we do a lot lately).

I really want to do something else and this is definitely temporary.

Send out resumes and try to get a new job in the new city before you move. I would say GO FOR IT! You are young and single and dont have a husband or kids to tie you down to a place you don't like. Worse comes to worse, if you hate Vegas or Georgia, you can always move back home. I just think you should try to get a job in advance just so you dont have to worry about money when you get there (and so you can buy some fabulous new clothes for your new skinnier self!) Follow your bliss.:laugh:

Has anyone just packed up and left? Not really told anyone until after the fact?

I have been thinking for a couple of years to move. I always go on vacation or to visit someone and I think I would love to live here. For years I kept going to Vegas, thinking I really wanted to move there. Now I am thinking more rational (I think) and not just wanting to move to vacation spots. Almost everywhere I go I want to move too.

I have lived in this area my whole life. My college was only 30 minutes from home. I like it here, but at the same time it's getting old. I think I need a change of scenery. I am bored w/life and it's depressing.

I am single, no kids, I hate my job, and just feel like running away!! I am wondering if I am being irrational. I don't have a lot of $$, but I have gotten myself almost debt free over the last couple of years, so I wouldn't have a lot of bills to pay.

I am just praying on it and debating where I would go. I just wish I had a sign. I have been going to GA for my fills and I really like it there. Plus, it's only 6 hours from home which can be the good and bad. I would rather go somewhere more fun like Vegas or LA.

I would miss my friends and family, but we could all visit. My parents will completely freak out if I go anywhere.

I might be just having the birthday blues, but I don't think so. My father keeps reminding me that I am almost 30. Then my sister called to remind me I was almost 30, even though she's 5 years older than me!! I just want to sit and watch chick flicks all day.

I would love to hear some advice or from someone that's just packed up and left.

It seems more fun to just drive until you get somewhere, but I am a planner. I plan everything.

If I were young and single I would get a job that involved a lot of traveling...ot maybe just made travel cheap and easy , like working for an airline. I'm a nurse and wish I would have had the oportunity to be a traveling nurse. My daughter was a travel agent a long time ago and had lots of travel opportunities. But now with computers, there aren't nearly as many jobs in that area. Do you have any special skills.?

With any tax knowledge, Vegas might just be up your alley!!!

I have a friend who was a retired tax attorney in Vegas----he is my age, and has been retired for several years.

Might be worth checking out!

If you are wanting to continue your schooling then do so, at least a class that sounds interesting, you never know when something is going to get your serious attention!

Put out some feelers, and look into your options!

Kat

Oh if I had to do it again, I would have completed culinary school abroad. LOVE to cook - and I know that's something I have passion for. I think thats' something you need to dig down and find out about yourself.

Right now I'm in the middle of remodeling my farm house - Think Hubby and I might go into "Flipping Houses" - Buy / Remodel / Sell.. Might be something down the road for us, Right now I'm trying to get this Home of ours done first.. Then we'll see...

Hey - Teaching an option? Saw your a history major...

Sfeiner, I love traveling. If I could afford it I would travel all the time. My bestfriend's cousin is a traveling nurse. She just started last year. This is her 2nd time in LA. She loves it and the money is really good. She comes back home for a little while and then they send her back out. They supply her w/an apartment while she's there, so no bills or anything.

I don't really have any special skills. If I want to I could teach, but I really don't want to right now.

Since I graduated college I worked in HR for 2 1/2 years. Then I have been at my job now almost 3. I started off in customer care and I have transferred to 2 other depts since being there. There's only one other dept left other than management. My experience there has been primarily with home owners insurance, escrow, and property taxes. I have only been in my dept now since last summer.

I like working with people and would like to maybe do something in social work or w/kids. I also like working w/computers. I have thought about taking classes in both areas. My goal is to start something by the summer. I just can never decide on anything.

Eventually I want to start my own business.

Kat, I would love to move to Vegas or so I think. I just wonder will it be the same living there as vacationing. If I could definitely find a job there beforehand I could definitely really consider moving there. Apartments, houses, etc are really expensive out there.

The company I work for now has a location in Irvine which is around (4 hours away) I think. I might would consider that then I would be close enough to Vegas to go often.