Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restriction Gone?

I know this question has been asked to death, and I DID read through all the questions/answers in the fill section (ok, well maybe not ALL!) and I still feel I need more answers...

Just to re-cap - I have the Inamed 11cc band, which has a fill capacity to 9cc.... I was filled to 4cc during surgery, and 15 months after banding, I had my first fill! My fill doc took out just under 4cc and filled me to 6cc - I got such a shock! Restriction for the first time! I couldn't believe it - I always had low restriction since the surgery - ie I could eat a personal size pizza Hut Pizza - toast, sandwiches etc....ANYWAY, I had the fill on the first of feb, now down 16lbs since then - I'm happy with this obviously, and was delighted with my level of restriction - I even PB'd twice!!! Felt like a real bandster! Now, since the 1st March, suddenly it feels like the restriction is GONE! I can eat bread, muffins etc.... I ate a whole bowl of egg salad yesterday, and felt no restriction.... I read Alex's post with interest, on how you get about a 20lb loss with a fill before you need to get another - so does this mean I need another fill??? My band doc did tell me most people with my band need a fill of 7cc before they see any dramatic weight loss - well, I'm not exactly looking for any dramatic weight loss, just WEIGHT LOSS! I have to fly to the UK for fills, they cost about $200, not including flights/car rental etc - I just can't afford to go again before christmas! (especially now that I'm saving to go to NYC to meet some of you! Yay!)

Any advice?

Mine fluctuates too!! I ate a biscuit last night and I normally can't bread!! My Aunt Flo is fixing to visit and I normally get tight then! Best of luck to you! Sorry I don't have any answers!

Isn't this band a fickle little thing? Hope you get good restriction again, without having to get another fill.

Bright, it is possible that your loss of restriction will be temporary--I definitely experience fluctuations in restrictions. But it would be a shame if everything stayed the same and you couldn't do anything about it until Christmas! Is there any way you can see someone closer? There must be a band doctor in Ireland somewhere!!

(Off-topic--check out this month's Smithsonian magazine. It has a great article on Ireland! I'd love to see the "Spike" -- I mean, the Spire. Wow, it sounds amazing!)

Hi Bright,

There are periods of time that I think my restriction has taken a leave of absence but then it will surprise me. I don't know what you should do... I would give it a few days and see if it doesn't come back. Sometimes I can eat bready type things with no problems and other times its like trying to swallow lead. Egg salad is pretty soft and is probably not a good indication of restriction. Try some chicken or steak and see how well that goes down. Breads can also be chewed enough to go down fairly easily. For me solid Protein is still one of my biggest challenges. Anyway sorry if I wasn't much help. Best wishes, Teresa

This happens to me EVERY TIME I GET A FILL. I'm yelling because it makes me crazy. I get a fill, lose 10-15 pounds...then nothin'. My surgeon said that it's because we lose fat around the stomach so the band isn't as tight, also the stomach tissue can get stretched thinner so you need more saline to feel more restirction.

I can eat Pasta, rice, bread, and everything else I normally can't when I have decent restriction. I can't eat very much of it, but it still goes down. I hate getting fills, and keep waiting for this last one to keep working- which it isn't. (can anyone say DENIAL?)..so I have a fill scheduled next week. I am probably at about 6.5cc's in a Swedish Band that holds 9cc's, I think.

If you can't get a fill until Christmas...maybe you should just coast and not worry about it? If you're like me you will flucuate 2-3 pounds up and down but I try to remember that at least I'm not gaining. I also try to remember that I'm going to have my band the rest of my life so it's not like I have to lose it all RIGHT NOW. Just my thoughts...it's hard though...losing weight is such a high that you don't want it to go away.

Megan

What Teresa Said!!!

Personally Bright, When I want to feel restriction, I'll eat a piece of chicken, steak, or dry tuna. those types of food have a hard time going down, they fill me up and even give me hiccups. When I feel the food that's how I register my restriction.

Egg salad, tuna salad or anything smothered with dressing, mayo, or ketchup is like a lubricant and go's down easier for me.

Breads are strange, I don't handle pizza dough or soft bread very well, but I can eat french bread and cake without any trouble. I try to avoid starches just because of carb/calorie intake.

I bet you wish you had a fill doctor closer to you, just for a tweak. How bout a fill while your in NY/NJ...

Bright I too have lost most of my restriction as of late... I need a fill even though I haven't the time. I suppose I will make some time. I got a little of it back since Saturday although not to the point where it was on Friday. I have been sick though so that might have something to do with it. Who knows. Lately I have just been watching what I eat. Good luck!

thanks guys - I wondered if the loss of restriction meant I need another fill, or if it's a fluctuating thing....? For dinner tonight, I just had two fajitas - two flour tortillas with chicken, peppers, cheese...the whole enchilada (scuse the pun!). No restriction - nada!

This is so discouraging....back to dieting again I guess...

Alex: nope, no fill doc's in Ireland at all! Just one surgeon doing gastric bypass!

(Ps I love The Spire too - pretty controversial thing tho, loads of people hate it!)

Hey I was reading another thread and they talked about taking Fiber to help fill you up...Beniful is what they sudjested... Hope it helps!