Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Second Thoughts/Reservations

I am having second thoughts about getting the band. Has anyone had reservations about getting the band? Some days I think should I do this on my own and take alli. But I have taken oralstat before with results and gained back more after baby # 2 (2 babies in 2 years) I am at an all time dangerous high. I have my last pre-op (barium swallow) tomorrow, then I can schedule surgery hopefully for March.

In addition I didn't like the personal trainer that my doctor had us meet. He was like you have to do everything I say or this won't work. It freaked me out. I will lift free weights but in no way will I become some kind of gym nut. I am a swimmer and a walker (anything low impact). Does anyone know if I have to spend this much time in the gym? I am a bit freaked out by the whole experience.:rolleyes2:

I am having second thoughts not because I think I can do this on my own, but because I am afraid that I might lose my family. What if the What if happens with me. I know that being overweight I would leave them anyway. So I am ready to go in. Being so overweigh since I was little has been hard to deal with, from the name calling, to the embarassing moments in a childs life, like not fitting in the desk. I thought I could handle it and did very well untill now weighing at my heaviest at a 410 pounds. Life and the little things just seem to be harder. You never worry about things like health untill you have a major health problem. For me its my back. I never wanted back problems. I have to work for my family even if that means I can barely walk. Is this the right decision for me did I really try, really, to lose weight I ask that question to my self as the hours count down for this operation to be real. I guess what did it for me was going to the doctors and them saying I don't think you will be alive by the time you hit 40 doesn't seem that old now. I have to drop this weight for my self and the people I love. You'll be ok everyone says but are they thinking what I am thinking. "Honey we have to get everything in order" I tell my wife as I give her a kiss on the forhead maybe for the last time. She assures me everything will be ok as she falls asleep. I go in today at 6:45 in the morning. Am I ready I guess I am, I guess I have to be. Thanks for listenting to my thoughts. .......

I would love to hear your progress. I am sure you will be just fine. And I am sure you are in your surgery right now. I am sending positive thoughts your way. Thanks for listening to me too. When you are up to it. I would love to hear how you are doing.

Chubbychecker

I am having second thoughts about getting the band. Has anyone had reservations about getting the band? Some days I think should I do this on my own and take alli. But I have taken oralstat before with results and gained back more after baby # 2 (2 babies in 2 years) I am at an all time dangerous high. I have my last pre-op (barium swallow) tomorrow, then I can schedule surgery hopefully for March.

In addition I didn't like the personal trainer that my doctor had us meet. He was like you have to do everything I say or this won't work. It freaked me out. I will lift free weights but in no way will I become some kind of gym nut. I am a swimmer and a walker (anything low impact). Does anyone know if I have to spend this much time in the gym? I am a bit freaked out by the whole experience.:rolleyes:

Who doesn't have second thoughts about elective surgery? I was walking 3 miles about five days a week BEFORE surgery and since surgery I haven't done any exercise, as it's been very cold here. I've still managed to lose weight. Sure I know exercise is important for weight loss and weight maintenance and I will get back to my walking. What do you expect a personal trainer to tell you? A surgeon does surgery so they think surgery is the answer, the trainer does exercise, they think exercise is the answer, the nutritionist thinks food is the key and they are all right, but it's a balanced combination that makes this work.

Some band people will use both food intake and exercise equally, some will use more exercise than less food and some will lower food intake more drastically and exercise less. We each find our own path.

I thought I could avoid surgery and do this myself. I worked hard for 10 months at dieting and walking and lost 30 pounds. I then regained half and knew I was just fooling myself and I needed help. Before I could regain the other 15 pounds, I had the surgery. I have lost almost 30 pounds in a little over three months, that before took me 10 months to lose. Obviously the band is the difference I needed.

Just my personal experience.

I think everyone has second thoughts for this kind of surgery. Whether you take the bypass route or the band route, I think everyone will have second thoughts.

The thing is, you have to have that inner dialog with yourself. I can't tell you what questions to ask yourself or not to ask. You have to figure it out from where you are in life at the moment.

I am always having second thoughts. But I know this is the right decision for me. I have tried every diet and diet pill under the sun, and probably some that shouldn't have been under the sun. :rolleyes: I exercise regularly, have lost a few lbs (mandatory to loose 5-10 pre op) and I know KNOW that if I don't have this surgery my weight will go even more out of control then it is now.

Well, ok I am sure if I pushed the envelope further then I ever have before I could loose it all and maintain it. Then again, I can do it also with the Band, and chances are I would come out healthier and more able to maintain it then if I did it solo with out surgical help.

Does any of that make sense?

Banded 1/25/08 Started 540 Lost75 pounds as of today Don't let the mind games get to you the benifits will be great you will feel fantastic.

I think it's perfectly normal to have second thoughts, I'm going through it to.....but you already KNOW you can't do it completely on your own....listen to what you are saying....if I do it on my own AND take Alli....and since you've been on it before, you KNOW what happens when you stop taking it.....

The band is a tool that STAYS with us......since we already know we haven't been completely successful on our own.

I think for the most part, we have all been successful at losing weight at some point in our lives. The problem is that it always comes back on and then some. For me, that really was one of the deciding factors in getting the band. As for exercise, you have to find exercise that is realistic for you. If you don't want to spend a lot of time at the gym there are many other ways to get exercise in. I currently don't go to the gym so I either get out and walk or do an exercise tape at home. This is a really big decision and nobody can make it for you but really consider all of the factors before you make your final decision. This was the best decision I have ever made and even though it isn't always easy, I don't regret it for one second. I wish the very best in whatever decision you make!

Jenn

I think of exercise as "boring stuff I do because I'm supposed to." I think of the active things I do as "fun hobbies". So I never force myself to "exercise". I make sure I have at least once active hobby. For the past 10 years I've ice skated. No, it's not the most aerobic type of exercise and it doesn't burn the most fat, but it was FUN and I did it every week, several times a week, at one point as much as 10 hours a week.

Now that I'm not having fun any more, I'm thinking about what I can do next. There is a hip hop class at my company and I'm thinking about taking it.

For some people, going to the gym to work out is a fun hobby and they can keep it up. But if you are only doing it because you think you should and you don't enjoy it, you won't keep it up in the long run.

At least that's been my experience.

I too had last minute worries, (I actually showed my husband where the accounts and insurance files are)

and email my kids before surgery to tell them I loved them. My 10 year old girl email back "mom did they put something that makes you nice during the surgery).

I replied yes a happy chip.

anyway I'm 4 days post op and walked 4 kms today with a friend and have not walked past the mail box in over a year. This will be a tool, and not a cure, you will have to work with it, but it def. gives a boost.

good luck, and the risk out weights the danger of being over weight during the coming years.