Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

Lynn, you can't let yourself sweat plateaus! They're going to happen, they're a natural part of weight loss, and while the weight may be staying the same, you're still losing fat. You have to keep that in mind when the needle becomes lazy, and focus instead on NSV's. Like how good you feel, or a suddenly useless belt!

My brother's overweight too; I'd like him to get a band. I didn't say that Tuesday night, but I talked about how important it is to lose weight, and how the band is pretty much foolproof. He didn't say anything about the bread; he had the same amount of bread as I did, but he had a bass ceviche appetizer and then a big steak entree, while all I had was half of a crab entree.

I'm going to work on the band idea with him next week. He's one of these high-powered businessmen, huge salary, millions of dollars in bonuses, and that's all very well, but it comes with huge amounts of stress. I think it might be hard for him to take a week off to get banded.

He's talking about going back to the famous medical weight loss center where, after his last visit, he lost 60 pounds. But statistically, supposedly, when you have more than 25 pounds to lose, it's almost impossible to keep it off without surgery.

The only thing that was seller for me on getting the LB was the statistics. something about people who have lost weight on their own only have a 10% chance of keeping it off; and with the LB there is an 85% chance of keeping it off.

Fenton, you are doing great and I hope your brother will take your NSV and weight loss as an inspiration, because it is to me. When I am feeling down or annoyed with my LB I always like to read your comments to others and it makes me feel much better.... :crying:

Hi Everyone!

Fenton - cool quizmo, that spoon. I have to admit I like gadgets.

Bummer that a lot of folks are hitting a wall. But, good to know that it is a journey. I loved Diva's next minute is a new minute. Very good thing to keep in mind.

I am doing the mushie thing now. I have to admit to keeping some liquids in my diet. I have gone out to restaurants twice in the past 2 days. Everyone thinks I am a cheap date now!

Kerri.....I have to agree with Fenton....sounds like a good old fashioned case of sibling rivalry.....for what it's worth, I am AMAZED at your planning and how well you did at the party. GOOD FOR YOU!

I'm beyond proud of you and look to your good example as an inspiration to me!

You've got a great handle on how this is supposed to work.....and once again, I have to agree with F, let your success speak for itself!

Family stuff is hard.....fortunately, I've pissed off everyone in my family (siblings), so I don't have to deal with them at all!

I just ate a whole box of Girl Scout cooks...WTF was I thinking? I have done so well the past two weeks. I simply cannot believe I did this. I now am getting on the treadmill and walk my butt off.

Tomorrow I plan on walking the 25 blocks and 3 avenues to the train station after work instead of taking the subway. WTF was I thinking?

Fenton, are you nervous about the verdict tomorrow? One of my neighbor's who is an MTA cop said they have called in 1000 extra officers for tomorrow. He thinks someone was tipped off that there's going to be a not guilty verdict. What do you think? I work near Colombus Circle and am hoping that everything will be quiet.

Christine

post-31650-1381366624298_thumb.jpg

I finely emptied the camera of the pics b4 and after surgery. This is the pic of me b4 surgery with the smiley and the shamrock on my belly for the surgeon to find. He said everyone in the surgery suite got a good laugh. He put the port under the smiley. :cool:

Regarding the verdict: I hope things aren't too bad when it is announced. I'm surprised that more folks aren't shot with the amount of them "pointing things" at cops.

Christine why do you even have the Cookies in the house? Lesson learned:don't bring the tempting stuff within distance of temptation. That said tomorrow is another day. Happy New Minute!!

Fenton my sister came out to be with me around band time and not once did I try to convince her to try the band(she is bigger then me). Folks have to come to this decision on their own and no amount of harping from us will get them there. The best thing you can do is be a good band roll model.

Kerri thats what we are here for- vent away. then LET IT GO! Focus your energy on yourself. As always someone will be out there to suck it away from you. :crying: Step out of range and continue. You're doing GREAT!!!

Welcome Crystal!!:angry:

post-226636-1381313697272_thumb.jpg

Whatever the verdict, I don't think there'll be rioting. It's really a sad affair for all concerned, but it's kind of marginalized into the Queens courthouse, and I don't get the impression that community passions are that inflamed. But again, I live and work in Manhattan, and may be 100% wrong.

I know what you mean, Amanda, but I've not suggested to my brother that he gets banded. The thing is, he's so overweight, and he looks like a cardiac arrest waiting to happen. His neck is really thick, too - former sportsman, still lifts weights - and I'm sure he must have sleep apnea. I just want him to be well and safe.

Wow! I just learned a painful and instructive lesson!

I was eating in a hurry, wolfing down a mini roast beef sandwich, when I got the hiccups. I didn't worry about the hiccups, just kept on eating quickly, when suddenly I began to feel pain spreading across my chest, this intense burning/stretching pain right in the center of my chest. I realized I had something stuck, and swallowed Water to wash it down, but the hiccuping continued, and the Water came back up, and the pain continued, and I knew that I had to get rid of that knot of barbed wire in my chest. I went to the bathroom and brought up the stuff in one effortless PB.

SO! I learned MY lesson! I may not have a fill, but I have real restriction.

Also: don't eat dry roast beef and bread and cornichons quickly, particularly while hiccuping.

I have to say that I enjoyed my meal tremendously, and now feel like a first time bulimic!

(I jest. I did enjoy my meal, but it was unpleasant, that final turn. I had sworn to myself that I would never have a PB, that my Iron will would win out. But, WRONG!!!

Chastened, I continue with my movie date and my dinner date and my banded lifestyle...

I'm back on track - thanks in part to you guys... thanks so much.

Harleygirl ~ you are too funny. I recently wanted my family to choke on the double chocolate fudge birthday cake they recently bought ME for my birthday. I was sure to tell them all how evil they were. We then had a serious discussion on how to support mommy and her new life style.

Fenton ~ I just love your posts, you are a very eloquent writer... bet that helps with the whole novel thing.:thumbup:

I managed to talk my doc into a fill yesterday, so I'm starting over today. I think I'm going to have to have those conversations with myself as well.

I've done well and I will take this one food decision at a time.

Again... thank you all!!

Also: I will always remember how right I was with my prejudice about French sandwiches: never enough Condiments, never enough Protein. There was so little of the promised "caper mayonnaise" on the sandwich that my cat coudn't even detect it.

Chica – My arm twin. That was no typo. I started at about 11:00 am, and finished at about 4:40. In that time I ate 5.5 bun-less hotdogs. My only saving Grace is that I did not have chips, Cookies, brownies, or soda.

K-pod – everyone one is right. You went into what could have been a disastrous situation with a plan, which you stuck to and came out victorious. I understand your being steamed and wanting to vent. That’s probably why your sister chose to tell whoever would listen about your chips and dip encounter. She’s steamed and wants to vent. You said yourself that she does not have the option to have Lap Band. How would she know that unless she looked into it? Why would she know that unless she’s considered lap band? It could be that she’s just as frustrated as you are because she can envision you reaching your weight goals but cannot envision herself reaching hers. My advice (as if you asked for it) would be to not mention the incidents to her. Just continue to do as you have been doing. She will eventually have to recognize your weight loss and lifestyle change achievements. Good luck to you!

Edited by enjoylife

Hi Shamrocks!

I love how supportive everyone is in this group. I am so very happy that I was banded with everyone!

Fenton - love your description of a pb. It reminds me that I must chew, chew, chew.

Christine - hey lesson learned! I know I couldn't keep girl scout Cookies in my house. I just donate a few boxes to the troops. That way I support both the troops and girl scouts! Now is the next new minute!

I actually had a bad experience with a chicken nugget. I decided I was going to eat 2. Well, apparently I did not chew the first one enough, I got a little chest pain while I was chewing the second one. I spit it out. There is NO WAY I would have ever been satisified with only one chicken nugget before!!!!

Well, I continue with my mushies, which I am enjoying. I am moving a little to some soft foods. Ironically enough, I am keeping some of the liquids in my diet. It is so easy to get a ton of Protein with a Protein filled drink. I still like the skinny monkey and make that periodically.

Conversations with myself. Well, heck, why not! I do it all the time, whether internal or actual out loud talking. Sometimes it is just like "back away from the refridgerator". Other times it is "good that you walked almost 3 miles today".

Kerri - all the best advice has been given about your sister. Way to go with your plan. I am in awe of you!

I guess we will all have to deal with jealousy sooner or later. I have a friend who has always been jealous the moment I weigh less than she does. It is a shame because we have known each other for years. She was actually quite negative about the band when I first started talking about it. I have not yet told her that I am banded. I just didn't want to deal with the negativity. But...... we used to walk with each other and I have started walking with other folks, so I am guessing that I should confess so she can walk with us. Oh well.....

Happy one month bandiversary to all the March 25thers like me! Hard to believe it has been a month. My life has changed dramatically!

Hi Everyone, haven't been on in a few days, tried a day or so ago and I guess the website was having problems, then yesterday I was to tired to login when I got home from work.

I got my first fill a a couple of hours ago, 2.5 cc's, in my 10cc band (I think it's 10 cc's, might be 14cc). Oh well, it hurt just a little but was over real quick. Now I'm back on liquids for another day, and then a day of creamy liquids before starting back on regular food again.

I'm down 18 pounds since surgery for a total weight loss of 38 pounds since January, woohoo!!

Everyone else keep up the good work, I need to go do the treadmill now, talk later!!

Once again, the Shamrocks have come through for me! I can't tell you how much you guys have helped me:) I wish I could have read all of your encouragement and support yesterday before I went to class and work.. It was a bad day for me, and I'm so glad it's over! I don't have bad days often, but when I do, the sh*t hits the fan:(

On a better note, I decided to let the whole thing go.. It's a petty situation that IS NOT going to bring me down. To each is own, and if my sister is bothered by my having WLS, I hope she can talk to me about it like an adult, or just plain old get over it.. I am an easy person to talk with, and she knows that- She's always calling for my support, and I will continue to give it. Maybe sometime she can find it in herself to return the favor.

Anyhoooo.. Enough with that and on to my second NSV!! My wedding rings almost fell off last night while folding laundry. I literally caught them as they were coming off the tip of my finger! They have been loose for some time, but I didn't think I was in any danger of them coming off?! I brought them to the jeweler this morning, was sized, and my rings went from a size 8.5, to a size7! yay! What a strange NSV lol..

Also I wanted to share that I am super excited to have my bike permit now! It is something I have wanted to do it for a long time, and finally got the courage to do it. I was raised around motorcycles my whole life, and can't wait to be riding on my own. Thanks to my Dad, I'll be riding on a 95 Sportster, until he sells it from under me. Literally. lol

Hope everyone has a fabulous weekend~

Kerri

More NSV congratulations. Me too. I wore a pair of pants to work yesterday, only the 2nd time I had them on. I wore them 4 1/2 weeks after surgery and they felt pretty good. The other day, 6 weeks pot op, I felt like I was loosing them all day. So off to the clothes swap pile.

Fenton - such an eloquent PB description....:thumbup: A feeling we all will never forget.

I find if I do not eat several small amounts throughout the day I tend to eat too fast. So luckily I have string cheese, yogurt, Protein Bars and some Protein mixes at my desk. Just keeps the edge off during the day. And I am able to keep within my guidelines for intake..

Walking has been a great incentive for me, Have been walking with a local group, Delaware, and try to go as often a possible. we manage 2.7 miles in around 50 minutes. That I feel it a great NSV in itself. Getting through the path and not huffing and puffing all the way.

I am with the others, this site is a great benefit and inspiration to my lapband journey to a healthir life.