Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

It is so great to see that everyone is doing so well. Today I am 3 weeks post op and feeling great. I am mushing it pretty well - its a trip getting my lunch and Snacks ready to take to work every day and trying to keep a bit of variety so I don't get bored. I have not yet been really hungry so I am happy with my couple ounces of Protein and some pureed veggie. I am happy with the weight I have lost so far. I certainly do not expect it to come off overnight since it did not appear overnight. My coworkers are all so supportive of me. They even compliment my lunch choices.

My only complaint is still being more tired than normal - I am hoping that if spring ever comes and brings some sunshine I will perk up. Of course my days off are usually dark dreary and rainy and I am at work when the sun shines. I need some beach time........

I have a couple of challenges coming up - a retirement party and a wedding shower - it will be interesting to see how I handle those - it will be different not having a cocktail and eating everything is site. I hope I make good choices.

My post op check up is for May 5th and I will have my first fill that day.

Everyone- have a great weekend! :thumbup:

HopeInApril - I also have had a pulling on my left side around the lower part of my rib cage. It has lessened as the days go by. not sure what it is from, maybe a little adhesion/scarring from the surgery......

My one inscision location that has been irritated is clearing up a bit. the redness is gone and it is not as tender.

Weight loss at first post op appt is so different for everyone. I had lost about 15# pre op and then about 11 post op. So not complaining. I have no scale here at home, but weigh at work on Tuesday morning, and checking BP regularly. I go back to Dr. Wynn on 5/9 and may get a fill, it will be 6-7 weeks post op.

mushy stage has been tough to get all Proteins in. but beginning to manage throughout the day. Have to have at least one Protein Drink to boost the # of Protein grams.

All I can say is eat slowly...first pb this AM and felt terrible. very uncomfortable and did I feel nauseous for a bit.

For all of us,, keeping up the good work and looking for support.

:thumbup: Lynn

I had my post op surgeon check up today and I discussed with his nurse that I was really struggling to stay at about 1000 calories now that 4 weeks will be post op as of Monday and they said I can go to 1200 or even 1400 calories if I am exercising like I have been and burning 200-300 calories until I get my first fill in a couple weeks. So that will help me to not do any 'guilt' eating about going over 1000 calories when I read about other bandsters eating such small portions.

I'm really pleased with how my incisions are healing. Hope everyone else is doing well too.

Well, Amanda, you are right, I need to see a dermatologist. My abdomen looks and feels horrible right now. My surgeon says it's a skin infection and I need to see a dermatologist. At this point there is a red band that connects all my incisions. My belly is very swollen and red...not to mention itchy! I have my first fill on the 22nd and they won't do it as long as there is a possibility of a fungal or bacterial infection (it's got to be one of those). I really need my fill, so I will try my best to get to a derm ASAP.

I am so glad everyone has been doing so well. I have no appetite the past couple of days. Maybe last week the hunger was head stuff.

Christine

Frances, love your pictures!! You look great. What a noticable difference already.

Congratulations!

Christine

Yea You MissCathyl. Congrats on getting in a size 16 and even bigger ups on shutting up anybody that laughs at overweight people.

K_podski and hopeinapril - thank you for your encouraging words. I too have an obesssion with the scale. I even blogged about it a week or so ago. Maybe after my post op on April 16th I will put it in the shed and only take it out on weekends. I need to start trying to cut back, exercise and take note of my NSVs. Otherwise I may drive myself nuts.

Edited by enjoylife

Diva, the scale is an evile, evil thing. In the past when I would diet and weigh every day, if I saw good progress I would start cheating to see how far I could go before I stopped losing. Oh, the mind games I would play. So for me I'm now really trying to stick to once a week. It's far more realistic to see real progress anyway.

Congrats on your progress this far. You are doing great!

Christine

Christine, hope you get some relief soon, that sounds just miserable. I have been very, very fortunate in my recovery......I'm sure the dermatologist will be able to look at it and fix you right up!

I'm trying to stay away from the scale, too.......I keep telling myself once a week, but it just doesn't work that way. I should just put it away and only bring it out once a week......

I went out and bought some little custard dishes to eat my little bit of food out of, my 1/4-1/2c serving looked lost in the regular bowls......it helps a little....also bought some baby spoons to force myself to take smaller bites.....they're in rainbow colors, so will make a lovely table setting!

Looking forward to getting off mushies next week.....but a little apprehensive as well.....

Christine! You HAVE been in the wars! I'd bet a dermatologist will be able to polish you up in plenty of time for your fill. And, on the plus side, having a lousy appetite right now is a help - indeed, if I hadn't lost my appetite due to a cold during the run-up to getting banded, I don't think I'd have lost as much weight.

Yeah, I know, faint consolation. But this little setback will soon be behind you...

I have my fill appointment on Monday, and I think I'm going to defer the fill. I will ask the doc about the thing that's been concerning me - I'm not eating to the size of the meal, but to calorie content, and I want to make sure that's not screwing up my pouch. Although the technique that Ajoneen posted (Or was it Harley - I'm too lazy to scroll back! - I think it was Ajoneen) seemed like it might be useful. When I plateau, or start to put on weight, I'll schedule a fill, and will go on liquids for two days before and a couple of days after.

Actually, at NYU, you go on liquids anyway after a fill, then mushies, then back to normal food again.

Anyway, thanks to my ridiculous weight, so far the loss has been pretty painless. Moving my mountainous self across the landscape requires genuine work, and I'm keeping my calories below 1500, mostly.

But tonight: STEAK!

Probably my last for a while.

Well, until tomorrow, when I'll have leftover steak.

Edited by Fenton

Christine, I'm sorry to read about your tum tum. Mine itched like crazy the first two weeks. I had little bumps everywhere. The only thing that gave me relief was 70% - 90% alcohol wipes. I wiped my stomach with them whenever I thought about it. It calmed the itching and made the bumps subside. I don't think mine was fungus though – I think I was just allergic to the strips. I had mine on for almost two weeks. I guess that's way too long because the nurse asked me if I showered. I had to explain to her that I kept my back to the running Water and took great pains to keep my stomach as dry as possible. I use well water and was paranoid about getting an infection.

Harley girl, I don't know how you're doing those 1/4 to 1/2 cups of food. I guess I am really off. I swear I am eating a cup. Aside from those three strips of bacon, I just try to keep it low calorie. I'm praying that my stomach has not stretched.

I am concerned about my inability to go potty. I'd probably drop a ton if I could. Literally, I must be full of... you know what. Either that or go back to chicken broth only. I've heard this is normal, but it does not seem normal. I've gone once this week and not at all last week!!!! I'm considering a colonic (SP?). I'll have to ask my surgeon about that on the 16th.

Lynn, I considered Dr. Wynn, she was my first consultation. At the time my insurance would only cover gastric bypass. I was not wild about that. Then she added all of those extra fees your insurance company won't pay for. Other than that, I know I would have been happy with her.

Fenton, I think we have the same problem with portion sizes. I think that’s what you meant by “not eating to the size of the meal.” I’m worried about my pouch too. But When I was on liquids, and still swollen, I had great restriction. I could drink .5 cup of Soup and be stuffed full. Now I’m not so easily appeased. I do stop when I feel full coming (except for twice). I guess I’ll have to scroll up and find that guide you’re talking about. I think I need it. I hope it helps.

Ok, that was a mouthful – and then some. I’m off to clean out the car and play with my bundle of joy!

My scale finally moved today for the first time in a week and a half, down another 1.2 lbs, woohoo. I've upped my exercise and been using the treadmill at least every other day now and going for 45 minutes each round plus I started, what I'm calling real food a couple of days ago, so now I'm enjoying chicken, beef, pork and a few other things. I'm still trying to keep my portions to no more than 4-5 oz of food and I am finding myself getting hungrier but with all of my Water in between food I'm doing ok. Good thing, since my first fill is still 2 weeks away.

Keep up the good work everyone, we can do this!!

Hi shamrocks!

Lynn: Good to know someone else had the same feeling.

Diva: I'm with Christine and Harley.....The scale is a rotten thing. I'm thinking of moving mine because the temptation is starting to get to me. It is in the bathroom. I think I should put it in a closet or something so I only take it out when I am going to weigh myself.

enjoylife: Did you get banded in DE? If you didn't use CHRIAS, where did you go? I'm a little unhappy about all the extra fees myself, especially since I paid for surgery myself. I am too far in the process to change now, but I am interested in where you went.

Teri: Great news that your scale moved. It sounds like you are doing great with the exercise.

I have to admit that I am struggling a bit. I am on liquids for 4 weeks post surgery and have fudge into the mushies a bit. I am trying very hard to figure out when I am really hungry and head hunger. What I am finding is that I am NOT really hungry. I am also struggling with portions. At this point, I am doing OK with the portions, but have been tempted to increase them. When I eat something non-liquid, I have been eating a 1/2 cup or less. Unlike you Fenton, I am getting a fill asap. Even though I am not really overly hungry, I don't want to stretch my pouch. I WANT to feel the restriction, so I am not tempted to overeat. It is the reason I got the band in the first place. I don't overeat sugar free chocolate because of its nasty side effects!

I do know that we go back to liquids for a day or two after a fill according to my doc as well.

Well, I am looking for NSV and SV next week. Next weigh in is 4/15 or 4/16.

Hi all.

Im just wondering does anyone else keep a journal?

I started one here on LBT but Im also keeping one on my own. It has already come in handy when I was freaking out a few weeks ago and I needed to look back and reaffirm why I am on this course.