Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

Looks like a HarleyGirl stack here.....geez, lots to say tonight.....

DAY ONE of the clear liquid diet OVER AND SUCCESSFUL!

It really wasn't as heinous as I thought it would be.....I haven't been "hungry" although my "head" is a little hungry!

It seems kind of weird, but it's given me a real feeling of empowerment today....there were snickerdoodles at work...nope, no thanks....sloppy joes at home for dinner....nope, no thanks....sipped my beef broth and took the time to taste it and *try* to enjoy it....NOW....come the weekend, I think it will be a little tougher....but by then the nervous energy will have kicked in in anticipation of the surgery and I hope that will get me through!!

Those Soups sound pretty tasty, but I have to say that I'm a bit wary of them. Those refried Beans may be fat free, but those other tasty ingredients represent a heckuva lot of starch and fat. I figure that'd be good for the occasional treat, but just because it's a liquid, doesn't mean it's great for you! Obviously, in the early post-op period, you need as much liquid as you can get in, but apparently you have to be careful with fatty foods.

Part of the band being a tool is that it gives us an opportunity to break from our old habits and start new ones. We have to be critical of what we're taking in, and making sure we're getting what we need - fluids, Protein, Vitamins. The delicious Mexican Soup, all riched-up with gooey melted cheese and slow-cooked Beans, will give a little bit of Protein in a good bit of calories; I think it's fine for the occasional delicious treat, particularly in the early days where your calorie intake isn't huge, but not too often!

I'm sorry to be a killjoy here, but - and maybe this is more relevant to me than to you guys - I think it's a good lesson that just because we have a noose on our stomach doesn't mean we can eat whatever we want!

While it isn't as delicioso, I suspect, as the Soup, I had a pretty delicious shake today made with lowfat pomegranate kefir and Protein powder. Kefir is a cultured milk, a bit like yogurt, thick and slightly tangy, that you can get at health food shops. It was rich, and the taste of the dairy was enough to completely camouflage the taste of the Protein Powder. SCORE!!!

You're definitely not a killjoy, Fenton. You are a reminding us to all be careful of what we consume. On that note, we should watch what we consume for caloric intake as well as adhere to our surgeon's instructions.

For example, that small piece of chicken from your soup. No matter how much you chew it, the stomach still has to digest it. The movement of the stomach is what we're trying to avoid during the liquid phase. I know it's not like you had a entire chicken breast but it's still not prudent during the liquid phase which is all about healing and having the band set properly.:smile:

I'd hate for any of us to go through all of this only to have problems over one small bite of (enter your food of choice here).

Hi all,

I'm Mikala. I've been reading this board religiously every since I got approved in mid-February. I have my Pre-op doctor's appt. tomorrow, so I guess I'm in the final stretch. My surgery is on St. Patrick's Day (Monday, March 17th). I don't have a pre-op diet, but after reading this board will probably try to wind down to liquids on Saturday and Clear Liquids on Sunday.

I'm excited and nervous all at the same time. I'm so tired of the fat suit that I've been wearing, I'll be glad to take it off and keep it off. I'm worried about heartburn and gas. Where can I buy liquid Tylenol?

BIG THANKS to everyone who posted detailed accounts of their surgery/ hospital experience. Reading everyone's experience helps to ease my anxiety.

I bought Liquid Tylenol - Childrens version at Target. The generic was alot cheaper than the brand name. I've been told they don't make an Adult version of liquid tylenol so to use the children's version. Anybody know any different than that? I'm sure Walgreens, CVS, and all the major stores have childrens tylenol.

I bought 2 candle warmer plates (like $5 each) at Bed Bath & Beyond. I had looked at some bigger stores and didn't see them so a friend told me where to find them. I've been told to put my food on a ceramic saucer and set the dish on the candle warmer while I'm eating and it will keep my food warm since it takes so long to eat once you get to mushies and solid foods. I bought 2 so I could take 1 to my work and keep 1 at home.

Here's an interesting one from my nutrition class - to put evap skim milk in Soups to thin them down because it adds 2X the Protein compared to skim milk. Comparison of nutrition info of 1 cup of each, cut it in half if you use 1/2 cup in Soup but its a key idea for getting Protein I hadn't heard before.

Nutrition Facts

for Milk ~ Evaporated

spacer.gifServing Size: 1 cup

spacer.gifAmount Per ServingCalories199spacer.gifTotal Fat0.5g Saturated Fat0.3gCholesterol10mgSodium294mgCarbohydrate29.1g Dietary Fiber0g Sugars29.1g Protein19.3gspacer.gif Vitamin A 20%Vitamin C 5%Calcium 74%Iron 4%

Nutrition Facts

for Milk ~ Skim ~ 0% Fat

spacer.gifServing Size: 1 cup

spacer.gifAmount Per ServingCalories100spacer.gifTotal Fat0.6g Saturated Fat0.4gCholesterol5mgSodium145mgCarbohydrate13.7g Dietary Fiber0g Protein9.7gspacer.gif Vitamin A 10%Vitamin C 5%Calcium 35%Iron 1%

Just wanted to say "Hi" to everyone. I just got a surgery date for March 26th! Looking forward to going through this with people who are in the same boat.

Testing. I posted last night and the post is no longer there. Can anyone see this?

Hi all,

I'm Mikala. I've been reading this board religiously every since I got approved in mid-February. I have my Pre-op doctor's appt. tomorrow, so I guess I'm in the final stretch. My surgery is on St. Patrick's Day (Monday, March 17th). I don't have a pre-op diet, but after reading this board will probably try to wind down to liquids on Saturday and Clear Liquids on Sunday.

I'm excited and nervous all at the same time. I'm so tired of the fat suit that I've been wearing, I'll be glad to take it off and keep it off. I'm worried about heartburn and gas. Where can I buy liquid Tylenol?

BIG THANKS to everyone who posted detailed accounts of their surgery/ hospital experience. Reading everyone's experience helps to ease my anxiety.

Mikala I bought my liquid Tylenol at Walmart .It is extra strength Adult Rapid Blast Liquid It's Cherry flavor and cost $5.98 or $4.98 .

Hi. Getting banded on the 26th. 114lbs. to lose.

Testing. I posted last night and the post is no longer there. Can anyone see this?

Hello , yes your post is showing up .

Hello everyone! A new shrinking shamrock here--band date on St. Pat's Day! Woohoo! Going crazy on pre-op diet--protein shake for Breakfast and lunch and Smart Ones Meal for dinner for 2 weeks before surgery. And all the broth and sugar free pops I can eat. I've eatten so many pops I am building a new house from pop sticks!!! But I only have a few days left to go. Prayers and good wishes to all the Marchers!

You're definitely not a killjoy, Fenton. You are a reminding us to all be careful of what we consume. On that note, we should watch what we consume for caloric intake as well as adhere to our surgeon's instructions.

For example, that small piece of chicken from your Soup. No matter how much you chew it, the stomach still has to digest it. The movement of the stomach is what we're trying to avoid during the liquid phase. I know it's not like you had a entire chicken breast but it's still not prudent during the liquid phase which is all about healing and having the band set properly.:cool2:

I'd hate for any of us to go through all of this only to have problems over one small bite of (enter your food of choice here).

I agree with the piece of chicken thing and Fenton we will just have to agree to disagree. I feel splurging on a pinch of cheese is irrelevent in the grand scheme of things. Deprivation leads to gluttony later on. Let's all face it. We have been there before or we wouldn't be where we are now. The key is quantity. Anywho...don't want to go off on a long rant. Just wanted to respond. To each their own. :huh2:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f9/when-you-have-craving-what-do-you-do-55078/#post755446

Hi SpecialK:

I bough liquid adult strength tylenol at Walgreens. (It is a drug store). They also had night time adult strength tylenol. It looks like the nyquil bottles, but it was with the other tylenol. I would keep shopping or call them before you stop by. Great idea about Bed, Bath & Beyond.

Hi Mikala: Welcome! jump right in when you want/need to.

Hi Bluekygirl: My date is 3/25 so we are close. Do you have any pre-op diet requirements?

Fenton: You are not a killjoy. I love it that you are keeping us on track! Funny enough, I bought one can of the fat free refried Beans and tons of broth and cream soup!

Chubbychecker: yep, I see your post. I have more than a 100 pounds to loose as well.

OK - It sounds like you are doing great. I broke out the sugar free pops last night, they were pretty good. I'm going to have to see if I can find different flavors though!

I love that rapid blast tylenol. I think it works faster then the pills.

A tip to the next to be banded- bring a small bottle of mouth wash to the hospital. Your mouth will feel like cotton and just swishing & spitting will feel heavenly. This might be contraband in you hospital so keep it in your over night bag and sneak a sip then use tissue to absorb. :huh2: