Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really Considering it

I went to the seminar thinking that it was for Gastric Bypass Surgery. The Dr. really pushed the lap band. He was well know in the New Orleans area for doing the Gastric Bypass Surgery but he no longer does it. He began the seminar by telling us all of the negatives of he bypass surgery then went on to the positives of the lap band. One thing that disappointed me was that the weight loss process is so slow. I have a few friends who have had bypass surgery and they look great, but one of them have gained significant weight since her surgery 5-6 years ago. Can someone please tell me how much can I expect to loose. I love food, I love to eat, I need something to help me to control how much I eat. Is the bypass surgery worth getting. My insurance covers it. I've completedthe information packet and I'm just waiting for the nurse to call me for my first visit with the dr. I am ready to loose the weight. Can someone please tell me why I shouldn't get the bypass but rather have lap band surgery. I really need help and support with this decision. All of my friends who have the bypass surgery are encouraging me to have the bypass surgery and not the lap band. They keep telling me that it will take forever for me to loose the weight with the lap band. PLEASE HELP!!!!!:blushing:

I went to the seminar thinking that it was for Gastric Bypass Surgery. The Dr. really pushed the lap band. He was well know in the New Orleans area for doing the Gastric Bypass Surgery but he no longer does it. He began the seminar by telling us all of the negatives of he bypass surgery then went on to the positives of the lap band. One thing that disappointed me was that the weight loss process is so slow. I have a few friends who have had bypass surgery and they look great, but one of them have gained significant weight since her surgery 5-6 years ago. Can someone please tell me how much can I expect to loose. I love food, I love to eat, I need something to help me to control how much I eat. Is the bypass surgery worth getting. My insurance covers it. I've completedthe information packet and I'm just waiting for the nurse to call me for my first visit with the dr. I am ready to loose the weight. Can someone please tell me why I shouldn't get the bypass but rather have lap band surgery. I really need help and support with this decision. All of my friends who have the bypass surgery are encouraging me to have the bypass surgery and not the lap band. They keep telling me that it will take forever for me to loose the weight with the lap band. PLEASE HELP!!!!!:thumbup:

Muffie - How much weight you lose is up to you not either surgery really and how long you keep it off is up to you too - neither operation is a quick fix to your issues with food. You gotta get your head in the game and make drastic changes in how you eat - Healthy - low fat - sugar free and add exercise in your life - that's the simple fact period end of story.

The band is a tool that will help you control your portions once you have proper restriction - but you can eat around the band - liquid calories, candy, Cookies etc go right thru - with bypass you don't absorb your calories that is why they drop weight so fast (we banders still absorb our calories) but they have problems with malnutrition where we don't - we still have to take vitimans but our bodies absorb them. IMHO I think it really depends on what your trigger foods are as to which surgery you do - I over ate food period not fast food not tons of sweets (don't get me wrong I would have a sweet binge ever few months) but home cooked foods that were high fat and i was a total slug bug/couch potato -

Now I eat healthy 98% of the time - I exercise 3-4 times a week - I have lost 76 lbs in 7 months and I am in my 50's !!!! I aint no spring chicken - in fact as of today I am just overweight - I am no longer MOBITLY OBESE.

I love me for the work that I have done - I love my band for being there to help me accomplish my goals.

Good luck to you on which every surgery you decide to have - that is your personal choice and only you can make that decision - but please note that neither are the quick fixes to your weight - You really will have to do the work - these surgeries are just tools..

My best to you on your journey...

couple of months ago when I started considering a weight loss surgery , I did research mainly on gastric bypass, since I did NOT like the results of my research and risks that I would have to take , I just focused on Lapband ,one problem NO INSURANCE ,I started saving money, and now I need to narrow down to whitch Dr. to go to, I can't keep on putting this off.

I vote lapband over gastric bypass. The advantage that gastric bypass proponents always tote is you loss weight faster. I have been banded 5 months and I have lost 40 pounds. I am relatively active but I have not participated in a an exercise program. How much faster do you want to loss weight? I am 100% satisfied with the speed of my weightloss and it still coming off. I know people who are 5 years into their gastric bypass and they have stretched their stomaches and have gained weight back. Lapband is soooo much less invasive and SAFE, not to mention reversible (if desired or needed). It is not without its challenges but, in my opinion, the much better option.

Good luck!

Muffie---with your age, I would ask myself if I was finished having children. Pregnancy with the band allows you and the baby proper nutrition, not always so with bypass.

Also if you have any concerns over re routing your insides. Teh band is completely removable and your body has not had parts removed if you should react adversely.

If next year they find a way to eliminate obesity through our genes say (just a hypothetical) with the band, you are as elligible as any other to use that for weight loss, your body has not been altered permanently.

There is a girl on here---JulieNYC--she and I were banded the same month April of 06----she has lost over 200 pounds! It is possible to lose at a rate comparable to bypass---it depends on you--how much YOU want to work with the band. You will learn Portion Control, you will have a knowledge of your body, so regain might not be such an issue.

My reasoning, was I am a cancer survivor, I have higher odds of recurrance---so with that in mind I wanted something I could adjust dependent on my needs at the time....if I do need to take in additional nutrition, I can be adjusted to allow for that.

Another issue I had was quality of life in my own perceptions. I wanted to be able to have birthday cake with my grandkids----I do not do well being told I cannot have something. The band limits the sweets I eat, but allows them without a dumping issue.

These are MY reasons----bypass patients have their reasons for choosing what they did.

It is a very personal decision----at your young age, one I would think long and hard about.

Read, research, ask lots of questions. Good Luck in making this important decision!!

Welcome to LBT!

Kat

Thank you guys for your comments they have really helped me out. All the forums are very beneficial. I appreciate the fact you all took the time to help me out with this decision.

Thanks again:thumbup:

When your 30 years old, things like low Iron levels and other nutritional deficencies don't seem important or take a back seat to the idea of fast weight loss. But in a year when you have those issues after GBP, you might wish you took the slightly longer route of lapbanding.

This should be about your health and in the long run, I just think the lapband is safer. Losing all my weight in one year vs. losing it all in six months just didn't seem worth all the added possible complications.