Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Baked Spaghetti Fake Out

Ask your grocer if they can get it. Maybe it's something they only carry certain times of the year, but I think it's widely available all year long. My local grocer always has a bin full of assorted squashes, including spaghetti squash.

Why is it I can never find spaghetti squash? Somebody around here told me it's seasonal. Is it available all year long where you live?

I usually do my grocery shopping at SuperWalmart, but I have had trouble getting it there. Last time I went, they had it, but the 3 other times I looked they were out of them. I have found them at Harvey's too! I'm not sure where you live, but here in Georgia, most of my local grocers have them. Good luck finding them!

In case anyone is interested, I have a couple of recipes for Spaghetti Squash "hash browns". I gotta tell you, though, while I LIKED one of them and not so much on the other one, they're less like real hash browns than I'd have thought they'd be. If anyone is interested in these at all, pm me and I'll either post them or send them to you.

We started a vegetable garden in our back yard. I just planted some spaghetti squash seeds. I love SS!

In case anyone is interested, I have a couple of recipes for Spaghetti Squash "hash browns". I gotta tell you, though, while I LIKED one of them and not so much on the other one, they're less like real hash browns than I'd have thought they'd be. If anyone is interested in these at all, pm me and I'll either post them or send them to you.

I say post them! Sounds like it would be good!!

I will, I promise. But just keep in mind that they probably shouldn't be called hash browns, because they really don't end up being hash-brown-like. With that in mind, they really aren't that bad, and they're both pretty low in fat and calories. YAY!

recipes are coming......

Spaghetti Squash Hash Browns

Cook and separate the strands of 1 spaghetti squash.

½ cup all purpose flour

½ cup grated parmesan cheese

1 tbsp butter

In a large bowl, mix the strands of spaghetti squash with flour and parmesan cheese.

Place a wide frying pan over medium heat and melt butter.

Drop spoonfuls of the squash mixture into the fry pan and press with a fork into 3 inch diameter flat cakes. Cook until the bottoms are lightly brown (2-3 minutes), turn them over and brown the other side. Serve warm with sour cream.

Makes 4-6 servings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 cups spaghetti squash

1 small onion, finely chopped

1 egg, beaten

½ tsp salt

dash of pepper

2 tbsp butter

Prepare spaghetti squash, scoop out 3 cups of strands. Let cool. Mix the beaten egg, chopped onion, salt and pepper, and add to the squash strands, coating well.

Heat oil or butter in frying pan until bubbling.

Place ½ cup mixture into hot oil. Flatten into a patty with spatula. Turn over when edges are golden brown. When both sides are golden brown, remove with slotted spatula and blot on paper towels. Serve hot with sour cream.

TravelGirl your first recipe reminds me of potato pancakes (loved sour cream on them.....YUM)

Here's a recipe DH is making tonight while I hide on the back porch when I should be cleaning our pool...LOL

Stuff Bell Peppers:

4 Whole Green Bell Peppers - Blanch in hot Water

1lb ground turkey

1 small onion diced

1 tbsp garlic

2 tbsp fresh parsley (could use dried)

1 can rotele - drained well

3 cups spaghetti squash - prepared as above (strands)

1 cup monterrey jack cheese (any cheese really)

Brown onion, turkey, garlic - drain well...In large bowl combine all ingredients & stuff each pepper. Add a few extra sprinkles of cheese on top & bake @ 375 for 30minutes.

There are a lot of change ups you can do with this...

I've seen Rachael Ray (yep, food Network junkie here) make hash browns and she's put the potato into a dish cloth and squeezes out most of the liquids in order for them not to be quite so mushy. So I'm contemplating doing this with the spag squash hash browns. If I can find them again. All of a sudden they've disappeared from my regular store. :tt1:

I've seen Rachael Ray (yep, food Network junkie here) make hash browns and she's put the potato into a dish cloth and squeezes out most of the liquids in order for them not to be quite so mushy. So I'm contemplating doing this with the spag squash hash browns. If I can find them again. All of a sudden they've disappeared from my regular store. :tt1:

I would HIGHLY recommend squeezing them dry. I didn't do that with the first batch I made, and they wouldn't stay together. The second batch that I did that with was much better.

I hope you find them soon!

I finally found one and now I can't remember your recipe so I am glad you posted again. I am going to look through this thread and see how I am supposed to cook this thing.

I finally found one and now I can't remember your recipe so I am glad you posted again. I am going to look through this thread and see how I am supposed to cook this thing.

Hope you like it! Let us know how it turns out!

i took the other half of spaghetti squash today & made a spinach rissoto.

steamed fresh baby spinach w/garlic EVOO & green onion....Mixed in a bowel w/the squash w/ 2/3c of parm cheese....spread on a pirex pan, added another 1/4c of cheese - baked @ 350 for 25min. my brother and DH ate it all....i'm guessing it was good , they made sandwiches out of it w/the baguette i bought - so it's salad for me tonite::::regular_smile:)))

I do the squash in the microwave...about 6 minutes on high in a plastic bag--much quicker....and make turkey meatballs and jarred sauce--or just a pesto w/toasted pine nuts. You can also toss w/ gorgonzola cheese..it has a very mild anise taste.