Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vasovagal response ie fainting after fill?

Glad I found this thread. I passed out a couple days ago and woke up looking at the kitchen ceiling. I had been feeling nauseous and light-headed so I went to splash some Water on my face. That the last thing I remember before waking up on the floor. I'm sporting a huge bruise on my butt and a sore spot on my head now. I did go to the doctor and they did a CT Scan of my brain. They are relatively sure it was due to low blood pressure. I'm normally on the low side and now that I've lost 100 pounds I'm really low. When I talked to the nurse at my lap band surgeon's office she said that they usually warn people on blood pressure medication or with low blood pressure because it can happen. I have to make sure I get enough nutrition and stay hydrated. I was doing that all along but I really have to stay on top of it now.

I've been light-headed on every fill and just thought it was because of the position they had me in for the fill. Now I know from reading here, that's not it. I'll have my hubby take me to every fill now. Going try the making fists tips too. If anyone finds anything that helps please post it here.

This happens to me if I eat too fast and don't chew well enough. I feel blocked, then get dizzy and once I did faint. Usually, I get very lightheaded and feel far away, all in a matter of seconds.

OMG THANK YOU FOR ALL, I had my first fill yesterday 5/12/2011 and got dizzy, sweaty, thought i was i was going to pass out. I got the fill then had to go have a upper gi wo swallow to make sure it was ok, i did not makemit to the upper GI,

My BP dropped and i was dizzy and had to sit down, hot cold sweats, My best freind who is a nurse said that it was my vegas nerve. She said it happens when our band expands, everybodys nerve is in a different place and maybe ours is near our band. My nurse told me i was allergic to the lidocaine ( numbing stuff) that they use first . It was my first fill so i had no idea. But my best friend assured me that it was NOT a allergic reaction.

I was so upset till i found this thread, i was thinking if this is what fills will be like , i do not want one, and that ,my band a waste. But hopefully it may or may not happen again. If anybody else has had this , can u email me, id like to discuss further with fellow bandsters

=).

ALso my Nures said she has never seen this b4? how can that be??????

I've had vasovagal syncope for years and am worried about the first fill after reading this. But the best way to stop it is to lie flat and raise your legs straight up. Are you typically lying down for a fill? As far as a nurse not seeing the reaction before, it affects about three percent of people. Not uncommon, but it's reasonable that she'd never seen it before.

Ok now im nervous lol im only 3 weeks post op but know my first fill id around the corner eeek

Another anatomical way to look at this:

The 3 layered arteries are basically types of muscles that are stimulated by the sympathetic portion of the autonomic nervous system.

When stimulated, the sympathetic impulse is to contract, which the artery walls do, RAISING blood pressure....especially good for those 'fight or flight' situations where arousal in general is important and we have to outrun the bear.

The 2 layer venous system is under the control of the parasympathetic side of the ANS. When stimulated, the parasympathectically innervated muscles RELAX...and BP falls....which if far enough results in the fainting described above.

Not generally a really big deal....unless that bear catches up with us.

I have a slight fear of needles leading to fainting. It's not something that ever preoccupies me, like a genuine phobia, but I get very uncomfortable when I think about veins/arteries, blood transfusions, blood bags etc.. And, the last two times that I was getting my blood drawn for tests, I nearly fainted (cold sweats, ringing ears, drooping head). I also almost fainted the first two times I had a fill, although blood is not involved. I think my fear of venous and arterial blood has just expanded to include needles because of the association.

Anyway, I don't get faint during fills anymore because I use a few preventative strategies. First, I have some salt (in Water or just a pinch of salt off my hand) before going for a fill. This raises my blood pressure, making it less likely for it to drop to a level where I feel faint. Then, I tell my fill-practitioner that I have this problem and that I need to have my fills lying down. Also, if it is ever taking them too long to find my port, I ask to take a break. If the process is too drawn out and I keep getting jabbed with the needle, it's more likely that I'll faint. Consuming caffeine and taking a quick walk before a fill will also raise your blood pressure. And, you'll be more likely to faint if you've had too little sleep or you haven't eaten.

THANK YOU!!!!

I went in for my first fill yesterday at my Drs office. He tried twice to find the port but decided to send me over to do it with flouriscope. After sitting up I started feeling "fuzzy" and let him know. He sat me in the chair and asked if I was ok. I thought it was going away and he went out to tell the nurse to set me up for flouriscope - I closed my eyes and started taking deep breaths next thing I know the nurse is telling me to open my eyes. I guess I passed out for about 4 minutes and my pulse dropped to 40 and my lips started turning blue. They are required to call the EMS ... ugh so I had the EMS squad and fire truck there (how embarrasing).

Recently I have been diagnosed with neuromediated syncope so I was reading on the forums prior to the fill and came across this post - which was very comforting when it DID happen to me I knew I wasn't alone.

I just feel like I can't catch a break - The reason I was diagnosed is because when the Dr attempted to do my band surgery I coded on the table a few times. Second time was a charm though.

I think I will try Birinak's suggestion with the salt next time. At least my Dr is familiar with my little oddities and he is AWESOME.

Grace

I've had vasovagal syncope for years and am worried about the first fill after reading this. But the best way to stop it is to lie flat and raise your legs straight up. Are you typically lying down for a fill? As far as a nurse not seeing the reaction before, it affects about three percent of people. Not uncommon, but it's reasonable that she'd never seen it before.

for mine i was lying down, and raised arms, im glad to find out i was not allergic to the lidocaine, i wonder if it will happen again next fill? I guess i know what to expect now, also i read clenchig fist helps.

I just thought that my nurse would have suspected this is what was happening, but i guess ur right

THANK YOU!!!!

I went in for my first fill yesterday at my Drs office. He tried twice to find the port but decided to send me over to do it with flouriscope. After sitting up I started feeling "fuzzy" and let him know. He sat me in the chair and asked if I was ok. I thought it was going away and he went out to tell the nurse to set me up for flouriscope - I closed my eyes and started taking deep breaths next thing I know the nurse is telling me to open my eyes. I guess I passed out for about 4 minutes and my pulse dropped to 40 and my lips started turning blue. They are required to call the EMS ... ugh so I had the EMS squad and fire truck there (how embarrasing).

Recently I have been diagnosed with neuromediated syncope so I was reading on the forums prior to the fill and came across this post - which was very comforting when it DID happen to me I knew I wasn't alone.

I just feel like I can't catch a break - The reason I was diagnosed is because when the Dr attempted to do my band surgery I coded on the table a few times. Second time was a charm though.

I think I will try Birinak's suggestion with the salt next time. At least my Dr is familiar with my little oddities and he is AWESOME.

Grace

Im glad also to see that there are others, i was really scared lol. It just worrys me that nobody in my Dr office knew what was going on, I just think that with this type of surgery , and that nerve that they would be a little familiar, but who knows.

Im also going to try the salt, and I also didnt have anything the am of my fill, wanted to be lighter on scale, but next time ill have a shake :lol:

Lets all keep eavh other posted on our fills

This happens to me if I eat too fast and don't chew well enough. I feel blocked, then get dizzy and once I did faint. Usually, I get very lightheaded and feel far away, all in a matter of seconds.

Wow the same thing happened to me. I was eating and I forgot not to drink. Well I did, and this big ball was there stuck, hurt very much, next thing I knew my food was on the floor, I fainted sitting down. I have never fainted before, scarred me so much, I thought I had some thing terribly wrong with me. So glad for lapband talk.

Ok now im nervous lol im only 3 weeks post op but know my first fill id around the corner eeek

Hi there, I've had 2 fills and no problems. Easy peasy. I've never fainted, so I think most fills go okay. I'm so happy with my band and losing weight, have hope.

It happens to me at every. single. fill! My doctor is really good about it though and it's not too big of a deal. We just talk to eachother the whole time and I sit or lay down with the needle poking out of me before I pass out!

I made a post like this today because I went for my first fill and everything went well. There was only one poke and he got my fill in pretty quick, we chit chatted the whole time. I was done and sat up, had my Water to make sure I could get it down. All was great. I get up and go out to make my next appointment and I started feeling funny. I told the receptionist I was going to get a drink of water and all I remember is being on the floor and my doctor helping back into a seat. I felt like an idiot. The waiting room was full of people. I'm hoping this is not an every time thing.

I've had a few fills and only passed out once just the edge of nausea, clammy, hot, and fading away. Next time ask doctor to lower your head and lay there for awhile until you are ready to get up. I get vasovagal syncope...it's just life. I always get a cold washcloth on my head. I love my surgeon because he knows to talk to me to distract me while P.A. does my fill.

weight.png