Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ready to begin the rest of my life..

I have been reading and educating myself on this site for the last few weeks and just now decided to register. Here is a bit about me (this is long, sorry)..

24 years old, single mother to a beautiful 5 year old daughter, work in the legal field full time, full time student and am ready to start the process to getting my band!!!:lol:

My problem, I chose at the end of last year to not sign up for my employers (Farmers Ins.) health insurance (UHC) and chose to just use the plan I am still under from my parents. To save money. Now that I have made the decision to get the band I learn their insurance does not cover the band but my employers did! Do I really have to wait until January 09 to get this when I can enroll again!? If I have to I figure I can start the 6 month doctor diet in April and be done with that so on January 1, 2009 I can submit paperwork for the surgery. Does this sound like a plausible plan to anyone.

I am obsessed with getting a band. I dream about it ever night. I feel that for ONCE IN MY LIFE there is something that will honestly make a difference. I currently am 5'6 at 270 pds (BMI 44). I have been moderatly overweight since I was 15 and that problem exploded when I became pregnant at 18, and have only lost a significant amount of weight once, on Fastin (the other, legal, half of phen phen) where I lost 65 pds and got down to 165. I regained the weight while still on the d*#^ pill and have failed at every other diet i've tried. Slim fast, keeping calories at 1200, exercise, no carb, low carb, and even at one point only ate a salad for every meal for 4 weeks and gained 10 pounds. Sigh... I eat a lot of good, healthy food - rarely any fast food, rarely ever red meat, I quit baking 4 years ago (to my daughters dismay), rarely eat any sweets - I just eat A LOT of the food I do eat and I think the control of the band is EXACTLY what I need. Anyone else experience anything like this?

My BF of 5 years cant understand why I don't just cut back my food intake to 1/2-1 cup of food a few times a day, as it will probably be one the band, now and loose the weight. For a man that can eat a half a pan of lasagna in one sitting you would think he would understand hunger a little better. He may have to be one of the "changes" made to my lifestyle when this whole thing goes into effect...

Any support or knowledge and words of encouragement anyone has would be so very much appreciated. I have no one I can talk to about this who is not judgmental and thinks I should "do it on my own", that obviously hasn't worked in the past. I have so many questions about the before's and the after's. Anyone?....

Yes, you may have to make several life changes to be successful.

Almost 6 years ago I was all set to have gastric bypass. My fiance of 25 years (now my husband of 4) who is also very heavy, had a friend die on the operating table and was concerned I could die, so we decided I should not do it. I lost 60 lbs on Atkins but you can only eat that way for a few years. Now my BMI is almost 50. I've shrunk 2 inches as I've gotten older. I talked to my Group Health Doctor a year ago about lap band (my husband was with me) and he said they didn't do it. However, I recently found out they do it now.

Well, I just had minor (carpel tunnel) surgery and they wouldn't give me an anesthetic because my BMI was almost 50. Not a problem, I didn't need it. I just had a local and was fully awake during the entire procedure.

However, I was informed by the nurse that with severe sleep apnia and being 63 and counting, if I did need major surgery I probably couldn't have it.

So, I just contacted my Dr. and told him we need to talk! This time, I'm sure I'll get the support I need. Maybe even my husband will join me and have it done, too.:lol:

So, get the problem taken care of as soon as you can. Do not "weight" :lol: or it will just get harder, you will get saggier and your self esteem will get lower.

Oh, and if you have to shed the boyfriend along the way, do that, too, if it is necessary to be successful. After all is said and done, you'll find another one!

Best of luck...

Judy

Hi JudyRoss,

Your post was encouraging. I am trying to decide what to do, and frankly, I am a little discouraged this morning. It sounds like weight loss is very slow, and many experience complications staying on the diet and staying mentally

in good spirits. You are very upbeat about your decision. I too have health concerns; your BMI is higher than mine, but I have several complicating health considerations. I have had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists, but it has never crossed my mind that I might be refused anesthesia. That is a little scary. Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am glad to know that people my age (56) and older still want to do this.

Set4Change

Hi Thin4Anisha,

I just read your post, and even though I am much older than you and at a different stage in my life, I can identify with much that you said. First, at almost 56 I am seriously considering lapband surgery. My concerns now are primarily for my health, not just for my looks. (But it is not true that you won't care about your looks by the time you are "that old":smile:) My daughter had a gastric bypass when she was 22; she is now 26. She was still on my insurance at the time because she was finishing school. She always maintains that she would go through it all again in a heartbeat. She is about 5'8" and weighed about 275 at the time of her surgery. That is a difficult way for a young person to live; health problems will occur if they haven't already. She weighs 160 now and looks fabulous. She is athletic, though, and works out as much as she can. She says following the diet and exercising are key. One of my main concerns is the need for plastic surgery; she probably doesn't have to have it. For about a year or so, she was sure she would have to do that and paying for it was an issue. Now, due to her age and fitness level, it is not so important anymore; her skin, like yours, has elasticity. That is the good news. Good luck with whatever decision you make. And there is justice in this world; my guess is there will come a day when boyfriend can no longer eat a half pan of lasagna without "seeing" the effects on his body. Thin people often think everything is a matter of will power. Not so!

Set4Change

Dear Thin4anisha,

Your could look into a waiver in your insurance that says when changes are made, you have a right to sign up for insurance at work. Since you are 24, your parents insurance may not be able to carry you for much longer, even if you are a student.

Good luck w/ everything. I am starting the process as well. Have several appointments made for March. Take care.

It's a great idea to start the six month medically supervised diet while you're waiting for the open enrollment with your employer. I lost 235 pounds via diet and exercise and then regained half of it. Losing weight with the band has been slow but steady and I don't regain. The operation is fairly safe and anesthesia time is usually under an hour. Don't take one refusal as the final word.

Read lots of the posts and ask questions. There's a wealth of info here.

Thin4Anisha, bsmith56 is right...you can try to find something in the policy that allows you to switch from your parents' plan to your company's insurance plan. There are many reasons you can do so. I don't know them all, but I'm sure you could find out. For example (not suggesting you do any of these), change in marriage status, new baby, new job, increase in price of your current policy, etc. And as mentioned before, since you are 24, you may be at the end of the line for your parents being able to cover you anyway. I believe my dad's BC/BS policy would not cover me and my siblings once we turned 24, regardless of student status. (of course there are exclusions if you are a disabled adult child or something of that nature)

There is a possibility that your current insurance policy just hasn't realized your age yet. If you bring it to their attention, perhaps you'll be able to switch to the better insurance - you wouldn't have to wait for open enrollment in Jan 2009 since it would be like a "hardship transfer". Hope that helps! Let me know what you find out.

Good Morning! Try contacting your employers health insurance to find out exactly what and how they cover the procedure. Then talk to your HR person and find out when open enrollment occurs. also, make sure your emplyers insurance will accept a previous 6 month weightloss program for their coverage. and as far as the man in your life, sometimes others judge what they don't understand. he may not understand but he should support you. g2s

Here is an interesting insurance story:

Sometimes all it takes to switch insurance is to change your address. If you are 24, are you living with your parents? I thought you would have to live at their address to qualify.

This is probably more than you want to know, but to learn all this took me some research. My point is further research might be the answer to solving the problem.

Here is my example:

We have a somewhat unique situation that really turned out to be a huge benefit. We have homes in both California (San Jose) and Washington (Grapeview). We prefer living in Washington.

I am retired from IBM so our insurance is through my retirement. We pay for it, but not nearly as much as purchasing it on our own. Every year we have the opportunity to change our options/selection, just like if we were employed.

I've had two full knee replacements in the last two years and two foot surgeries as well as the most recent carpel tunnel surgery in Washington at Group Health. However, we have our insurance through Kaiser in California.

Here is how it works:

First: We are about 150 miles from the nearest Kaiser facility in Washington. We are only 30 miles from Group Health.

Second: We are only covered by Kaiser because our registered home address is in California. When we recive medical care in California we would have to pay a $20 co-pay for each visit. Kaiser is under the Permanente Corporation who also own Group Health. When I'm in Washington (where I now choose to get most of my medical care) I pay NO co-pay at Group Health.

On the other hand, if I had registered my address in Washington, I not only would pay another $100/month for the premiums, but I'd also have to pay a co-pay for my visits. Go figure.

I will eventually switch our address to WA when we sell the last house in CA and I can qualify for Medicare. Then my IBM sponsored supplemental insurance will be through Group Health and the premiums of $544 (including vision and dental) will go down to about $80/month.

When it was time to sign up for insurance again last October, I called the support people and asked them which way to go. The answer was, "registering your address in CA is still the best, it will save you $100/month and all the co-pay", so that is what we did.

When I first signed up for insurance because of a move, it was in June, mid-year and no problemo.

I know you are not moving from state to state, but call and find out if a local change of address would qualify you for a mid-year change to your company's sponsored plan. You would be surprised how helpful some of these benefit consultants can be. They get paid for providing good customer service and making you happy, not for "saving the company money" by refusing you insurance.

Also, someone suggested your contact your HR department. Talk to them, as well, and see if you can brainstorm the change.

Life is a game. There are hurdles and goals. Loses and wins.

You will make your goal. You will win.:lol:

JudyRoss

I said earlier that 6 years ago my fiance then (now my husband) was against the gastric bypass because his good friend had died on the operating table. Well, he still is against it and lap band surgery.

Last night he asked me what I was doing online so late and I said, "getting medical adivce about weight loss".

This morning I told him about my most recent surgery and why I was denied any but local anesthetic because my BMI is 50. He didn't know I'd shrunk to 5' 3.5".

He went with me to the last appointment and was releived when the Dr. said they wouldn't do it. He does not want me to die. He likes being married to me. :lol:

So, I explained today that I was going to look into the surgery again because of what the nurse told me. He made a very good point. He said, "If they can't put you under, how can they do the surgery?" I dunno.

How do they administer the anesthetic? Have they told you since your surgery is only a week away?

I explained that I would have to go through counseling, 6 months of weight loss, and probably some other tests before I could get the surgery, anyway. He does understand how fed up I am with the extra weight. So he agreed to start dieting with me (by cutting back on portions even more than we have already).

So, now he's on board with step one. I love it that he will diet with me and maybe lose about 100 lbs., although he's very cute the way he is (he looks like Sean Conry in Santa's body).:lol:

It will be easier WITH his support than without it, and I can see that his concerns are valid. I've delt with his conservative considerations for almsot 30 years and this will help us come to a mutually agreeable solution (read: I'll get my way :laugh: eventually if I make a good decision and persuade him gradually).

This helped, so thanks again.

JudyRoss

I just wanted to post the update in my progress to being banded. I spoke with my employers insurance company and they told me if the insurance on my parents end is terminated or if I tell them it has been terminated (I didn't say that, is it really wrong to fib if its for a really good reason?) that I can enroll in the company insurance! This is great news for me, I could enroll this spring and possibly have the band done this summer while I take a break from school:thumbup:!! Also, my company only needs you to be 21+ yrs old (check), have a BMI over 40 (check), and have documented history of being morbidly obese for 5+ years (maybe a check, I have been obese but not morbidly until the last two years). So no 6 month diet, psych eval. or any of that red tape. :biggrin: