Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need exercise inspiration- 35 lbs from goal!

Hello there. I've been banded for about 19 months now. I'm down 65 lbs from being banded and an additional 40 preop for a total of 105 lbs. My body looks like crap. I have a huge flub of fat on my stomach and my tights are not tight at all. The only exercise I've done has been walking on the treadmill and working out with a fitness training. I have not done both for several months so. The first 100 lbs was rather easy. I have 35 more lbs to go and its a real bitch now. Any of you have a good story as to how you made it to goal weight through exercise? It seems like it has been 6 months since I've lost any weight. Part of my problem is I feel really comfortable in size 18 at 5'8". My goal is size 16 so I can have plastic surgery. I'm about 216 right now and my goal weight is 185. I need some inspiration badly! Thank you.

WOW. The end is in sight for you! 35 lbs! That is KILLER! You sound like me ... 5'8, size 18, but I weight a lot more than you. I'm many, many pounds away from my goal! I work out 5-6 days a week, running, elliptical, lifting, etc. Now, here's an idea: go buy a CUTE pair of size 16 jeans, shorts, whatever, since that is when you are getting PS. Make yourself a deal that when they fit, you'll set up the consultation (or some other reward). Try them on 3 days a week and work out! You might have to just gut it out and start exercising...maybe you need to change your focus since you are "comfortable" at a size 18 (it's not good enough for me yet). Work out for your heart, your lung capacity, to lower your cholesterol...take the next step to health ... the weight is almost all off, so now work on the stuff you can't see that will really cause you to be the most healthy you can be. Good luck! You should be so proud of your accomplishment! I'm totally envious!!!

Hi There. Thanks for the post. What is your goal weight? My doctor and I set 185 as mine but according to the weight charts that is still considered overweight. I believe someone who is 5'8 should be more like 140-165. What is your goal?

Hi Julie

I really like spinning and running. Anything in the gym bores me endlessly and I don't stick with it. Are those an option for you?

i would try pole dancing. In the past few weeks i have been playing around on my pole, i can really see my arms are starting to tone up alot. so has my tummy. and not to mention my dh loves it:wink2:

I don't know where you are from-but I look forward to the return of Spring so I can walk outside. Do you enjoy hiking? Depending on the terrain it can be a great calorie burner while building muscle at the same time. Pick something new and be passionate about it-you will get back in the groove!!!!!:)

Near goal, you have to work smarter, not harder.

Like I was already running regularly, and really, you'd have to be nuts to think that going from running five times a week for 45 mins or so to running five times a week for 2 hours is going to be sustainable, enjoyable, healthy OR effective. I stand by cardio for its weight loss benefits but you do become efficient at it, you burn less calories doing it when you're more efficient and insanely long workouts will do the opposite of building up your muscle and improving your body composition.

I really believe in circuit training - combining your cardio and strength work. It is really hard work if you put in - like I have to admit, I've done sessions at home where I've not realised I was overdoing it, finished and thrown up - so perhaps dont work THAT hard, lol.

I've reduced my dedicated running to 2 to 3 sessions a week - 1 or 2 short runs of 8km or less and one mega run (because I want to do a half marathon) which is currently at 14kms. I have too much trouble with my back and ankles to do more.

The other days this is what I do at home:

Treadmill - walk briskly (about 4 mph) at incline of about 4 for 1 km at the same time, doing bicep curls, lateral raises, upright rows and shoulder presses with 3kg dumbells - with each exercise I do a warm up set with one dumbell per hand, then I do a set with both dumbells in one hand (6kg) and then I'll do a set or two where I vary the tempo, like up for two, down for one, or pulse at end of range etc. This takes about 10 minutes and is the warm up.

Hop off treadmill - do 3 sets of 15 weighted lunges (with 30kg barbell) and squats, again varying the sets by tempo, holding, pulsing etc, its never the same twice, keeps my muscles guessing).

Run on treadmill for 250 metres (if you can get your heart rate back down under 300 and stand on your quivering legs, lol).

Hop off treadmill, 3 sets of bent over rows and deadlifts with 30kg barbell - again varying tempo etc.

Run on treadmill for 250 metres

Hop off Treadmill - 2 sets 2 push ups, 2 sets 20 tricep dips with a chair

Run on treadmill for 500 metres

(if oldest son around, don boxing gloves and puch the crap out of him for 5 minutes - he holds the pads), otherwise, move onto abdominal work - I do medicine ball sit ups and twists, regular crunches, planks, whatever takes my fancy.

Throw up.

This routine WORKS. Its serious stuff, it has trimmed inches and inches off me and really improved my running.

And OF COURSE you can damp this down adjust speeds, weights, inclines etc for your level of fitness and what you are able to do. You might just walk on the flat and use 1kg weights, its totally adjustable.

Goodness gracious, Jacqui!! Wanna come be my personal trainer? lol

I've totally been unmotivated exercise wise recently, but after reading some of your posts about walking/running week before last I thought, "Gee, she's right! Its free and kinda easy to accomplish". So I've started walking at least every other day. I live in Eltham so its super hilly and I'm not ready for those hills lol, but I stop on the way home from school/work w/ the kiddo and dog and walk fast for around 30-45 mins on the flat surface. I'm enjoying it a lot :)