Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

need encouragement

It is almost 1a.m. and I just got back from the emergency animal clinic. My greyhound, (Jeter) as I briefly mentioned earlier, had a mass growing on his chest wall. By the time I got home today it had tripled! And began turning black with small blisters. By 8 pm the blisters were filling and his breathing got heavier and labored. The black spots were spreading.

We didn't think he could wait until the Wednesday appointment I made so we took him to the emergency clinic. I was expecting them to tell me he had been bitten by a brown recluse or black widow spider or a scorpion or something, but instead the doctor told us Jeter is VERY ill. She can't say for certain until after the biopsy tomorrow morning, and we wont get results until late afternoon, but by the xrays he has a malignant tumor that is lymphatic. In essence, his is the final stages of lymphoma. All of his nodes are swollen and the tumor has integrated into the chest cavity and is protruding from the rapid growth from where it started (inside the chest wall). The growing black spots is dead skin from where the tumor has drained the blood supply. The blisters have now filled, popped and are rubbing off exposing the raw flesh underneath. I am sorry to be so graphic but it is necessary in order to truly describe it.

It humbles me to see my muscular, regal and all around athletic hound reduced to wheezing by my bedside tonight until I can get the "official" news tomorrow. The cancer is spreading quickly and multiplying rapidly so therefore once the "official" news is given they recommend two options: 1. K9 chemotherapy/surgery to remove the tumor as best they can/ hope for remission beyond the odds OR 2. Place him into rest as humanely as possible by lethal injection.

I had no idea he was so sick. He did not "complain" and is just slow moving recently. We just noticed the mass on Sunday morning and it has tripled in size since then. He is, as we speak, wheezing on his bed pillow trying to sleep as we have gotten him a mild sedative tonight to make him more comfortable. Needless to say, my quit smoking efforts were dashed and stomped on tonight as I needed it to even sit up straight.

Tomorrow, I will take him into the Vet for the "official" news. I plan on bringing him home tomorrow night for the family to spend our time together with him. Then, on Wednesday afternoon I will lay with him as I let him go and stop his pain and suffering. I refuse to let him be alone as he goes so I will be there with him. My DH disagrees but I won't stand for anything less. He is my best friend, my confidante, and the best dog I have ever had the pleasure of having as part of my family.

Our other greyhound will miss him terribly and will go through his own seperation anxiety. My son will join me in my tears as will my DH. What makes this even more sad is the fact that tomorrow is our 3rd wedding anniversary. We got Jeter as an anniversary gift for each other 2 years ago to make our family larger.

Jeter has given us unconditional love over the last 2 years, has been a very active member of the retired greyhound association for adoption and has worked as a volunteer for greyhound adoption awareness all over Phoenix. Jeter (formally racing as Maricopa Badger) was a good racer and spent 4 years as a professional athlete in Phoenix, Arizona with 110 races. His retiree picture and pedigree can be seen at http://www.greyhound-data.com/ by doing a "Dog Search" and putting the name Maricopa Badger.

It is hard for me to imagine going through my upcoming band recovery without him laying vigile by my bed. My heart is aching and breaking from the upcoming duties I have this week. Having greyhounds in my life the last 2 years has been wonderful. Working with the adoption agency volunteering and having this WONDERFUL addition to our family. I will not get another hound as I think that the time we have spent together is much too short. His retired days were spent well laying in the grass, chasing mechanical balls and lounging on our couch and his many "beds" throughout the house. He was well treated as a retiree. Anyone intersted in having these wonderful dogs I HIGHLY recommend them as friends but I just can't deal with the short amount of time that I have gotten to love him. We have Arod still and he is still healthy. I think our efforts within the greyhound realm will end with Jeter though. There definitely is no replacing him.

Please excuse me as I will not be here posting for awhile and I don't know how long. This is taking a lot out of me as I was already an emotional mess even before this happened. Thank you all for your love and support and I will see you when I can.

Jenna

post-204351-13813131689715_thumb.jpg

post-204351-13813131689842_thumb.jpg

Oh, Jenna, my heart breaks for you and Jeter. Aren't our fur babies amazing? They never complain, no matter how bad they feel. You had no way of knowing that he was so sick. You're doing the very best that you can right now. He knows that you love him just as much as he loves you. Yes, I agree, I would be there w/him also. This is part of the closure you need. Jeter will always be with you, in a special corner of your heart. (((Hugs))) Please come back and "talk" when you feel up to it.

Jenna,

Change the name from Jeter to Bear and the breed from Greyhound to lab And you have my store with one of my dogs. That was 4 years ago when Iwent thru the same thing you are going thru. Dr told us she was already two years past the life expetancy for her mixed lab breed. Surgey would be $600.00 + and they Chem could run up to $1,200.00 After being told the news we opted to let Bear go and I brought her home for a few days to be with us. The day it came I took her to the vets and I couldn't take her in. So I went in and put a deposit down to schedule the surgery. I came home to a family of very sad people who really brighten up when they saw her come running in behind me. Thiught for sure I was going to catch hell from the boss for spending the money but that didn't happen. She had her surgery. They got all the cancer and she did not have to go thru the chemo. She now runs around the house like a puppy and watches over the two other dogs here. She is now 6yrs passed twhat they claimn is her time and acting like she another 20yrs away from giving up.

I hope and pray that you may also have an outcome like we did. but if its not to be we will all be saddened with you. But take that love you have for Jeter and give it to another. Jeter would want you to do for another what you did for Him. Its a great thing you did taking him from the retired greyhounds. I got all the dogs I have from either rescueing them from being put to sleep after finding them as a stray while working as a cop. My last dog is a boxer my son actually took from a pet shop in Indiana due to it being abused. These lost and abused dog show more love then an others.

Best wishes with what every you decide... Just remember he is leaving you after having felt more love in the last two years then he had before that time.

Jenna: My heart goes out to you at this time. If I can be of any help please don't hesitate to call or PM or email.

Jenna, Im so sorry with what you are having to go thourgh.. Know that we are all here for you! (((((((((((((hugs))))))))))) Take Care

Greg - what a sweet story about bear!

Oh, Jenna, you are going through one of the hardest things on earth. I know, because I had to put my beloved old Labrador down after multiple illnesses, including lymphosarcoma (which was in remission). Take care of yourself and give yourself all the time you need to grieve. No one could possibly begrudge you an entire carton of cigarettes at a time like this. Jeter is a beautiful dog and I am sorry he is so sick.

Jenna, I feel your pain. We just put our beloved family dog to sleep last month. It was a horrible experience,she was only 6, had a stroke, could not walk anymore my husband was like you he had the be there until the very end. Our other dog is suffering from loneliness as well. We have been debating on getting another dog to help and "try and fill the void" of Roxy,

I'm sorry you are having a hard time of it right now, Hang in there

My heart goes out to you... I have two pupperonis and the thought of going through what you are has brought tears to my eyes.

Many hugs,

Jenna, I am so sorry to hear about Jeter. I had to put my beloved dog (Cuddles) down just under 2 months ago. He was in my life for 15 years and I still miss him terrible. He had cancer on his chest 2 years ago and it was removed and He had a very happy 2 additional years. You and your family are in my Prayers.

My thoughts are with you too, Jenna. This is so, so hard. I wish you and your family peace and love through this hard time. :)

Dog and smoking update:

Well, the tests have been run and cost us a small fortune. But worth every penny, just makes me sigh at the costs. Without further and more extensive and even more expensive tests, all else has been ruled other than the cancer as our cause. The tests did show that it is probably a liver cancer rather than the lymphatic that we once thought it was. His Proteins are extremely low. His urinalyisis shows that he is retaining the waste and basically peeing almost Water. He does drink a lot and the liver is not doing its job at all. Soooo, the mass has been ulcerated and is bandaged with compression. I could either buy expensive Protein tablets, fix him an egg or force Protein drinks down him so I opted for the cooked egg in each meal. We have him on a series of antibiotics as well but the doctor was nice enough to give me a short supply and write me a prescription to get them online for cheaper at petmeds.

Time is unknown now. The best we can do is keep the mass and drainage manageable for now and keep him on some antibiotics. Without further tests and such we have no real prognosis for how long he will be in the quality of life stage. Could be a week, could be months, could be a year. The doctor is pleased with how well he is doing with the TLC I have been showering him though so he is hoping for at least 3 months at the shortest he says.

But at this point it is a guessing game. At least the initial shock and turmoil is over. Now we just deal with things and move on as best we can. And at least we have him with us for now. I, personally, am still hoping for a miracle. I am just glad that it won't be this week that I lose him.

As for smoking, I am trying still. I haven't given up on it. I have cheated some but nothing ever more than 2-3 a day and I don't smoke more than 1/2 of it. So it is still better than a pack a day. I am going to try and quit completely as things here in the house calm.

I thank you all for your wishes, blessing and PM's of encouragement and support. Thanks so much! I love you all!

Jenna

Thanks for the news, Jenna. I'm glad you have some extra time with Jeter, even if no one can be sure how long. You're doing everything you can to make him comfortable. Who knows -- miracles can happen. My Lola had a long remission from her cancer, and I was grateful for any extra days. I know you will be too. Sounds like you're doing awfully well with the smoking, considering everything. Please give that gorgeous dog an extra treat and massage from all of us at LBT.

Jenna, you are handling everything so well! Glad to hear that Jeter is more comfortable now. At this point, I'd feed him anything you can tempt him with. Maybe some of the unflavored or vanilla Protein Drinks might taste like milk to him. Maybe heat some and see if he'll take it. Best of luck to you!

It humbles me to see my muscular, regal and all around athletic hound reduced to wheezing by my bedside tonight

I had no idea he was so sick. He did not "complain" and is just slow moving recently. We just noticed the mass on Sunday morning and it has tripled in size since then. He is, as we speak, wheezing on his bed pillow trying to sleep as we have gotten him a mild sedative tonight to make him more comfortable.

Then, on Wednesday afternoon I will lay with him as I let him go and stop his pain and suffering.

My heart is aching and breaking from the upcoming duties I have this week. There definitely is no replacing him.

Jenna- I don't know how I missed this post... My heart bleeds for you.. I am so so sorry. I know several Greyhounds at the dog park & like you said they are truely one of the most gental/nobel & loving breeds of dogs. I am so sorry for what you are going through((HUGGS))