Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would you be angry?

Got my first bill for fills. I had expected to pay $175 per fill. That's what they said it was going to be at the seminar. But they also tacked on a $53 office visit fee which was never discussed. Another clinic I phoned said they just have a flat $100 fee, whether you fill or not, so obviously all docs are different. I'm quite angry that this $53 fee was never discussed. And since my doc will only do .5 cc at a time, and I'm only at 3 cc's, it's gonna take a while for restriction = major moola.

That's my main gripe.

This is just an aside. I was supposed to get 90 days free fills. I mentioned that to my doc last time so he got me in a little earlier to cover that 90 days (as it was getting close to 90 days since my operation). I was actually booked for a fill 3 days past 90 days but figured the doc moved me earlier due to me asking about my free 90 days, so I thought all was Kosher. No, apparently not. When I phoned the person in charge of billing, since I was billed for this last fill, she beaked off at me, basically ranted and raved, would not let me get a word in edgewise (this was when I was still talking politely), and would not calm down. She had reacted as if I was screaming at her (which I was not).

I told her well, the doc moved me ahead to be covered by the free 90 days. She said it's not up to the doc, it's up to the people at the desk. Well, if the doc already moved me up earlier to "cover" it, I just can't understand what the problem is. I know it's 3 days later, but I thought all docs have a little leeway. Anyway, this is all very confusing probably, but aside from the confusion on the 90 days I'm quite upset at how she was talking to me.

About the extra office charge that was never discussed I told her, "FYI, maybe that should be discussed at your seminars."

I ended up crying due to how I was treated and my 3 year old son said, and I quote, "You let me come with you to the doctor's office next time and I won't let that happen again." So it was a sweet outcome to a horrible experience with the office lady from hell.

You definately have a right to be upset!! I would be pretty angry!

Sounds like you should shop around. If nothing else, no one should treat you like that. I need a doctor I trust and whose staff is polite and out of their way caring...

Good luck.

Heidi

Thanks Heidi. There's one clinic that charges $100 but they're chock full and won't accept patients from another doc. The other one, can you believe this (I am not kidding) charges $700 for a visit and fill. I don't think there are any other docs in my area other than that. :unsure:

I would without question discuss it with the Dr. They are often not aware of how the front end is being handled.

90 days of free fills is a lure in my opinion. Most Dr.'s require 6-8 weeks before your first fill anyway. Then a minimum of 2-4 between fills---there is no way to get much out of their free 90 day policy!

Kat

90 days of free fills is a lure in my opinion. Most Dr.'s require 6-8 weeks before your first fill anyway. Then a minimum of 2-4 between fills---there is no way to get much out of their free 90 day policy!

Kat

I feel doubly screwed because they gave a price for the whole operation thingamabob, okay, then I get a bill in the mail for blood work. This was a month or two ago. Phone them up - oh, that's not included in the price. Okay. Then this comes along - the office fee not being included in the price they originally stated. The whole "this is what you're going to pay" versus "this is what you actually have to pay" is starting to get old mighty fast.

Definitely register a complaint about this behaviour. Also, in future if you have an issue with them, go in and discuss it. People often find it hard to be rude to another person's face. But if she does get rude in person, you can simply cause a scene and have the office manager/doctor brought into it. At the end of the day, remind this person you are the one paying her wage, after all you are the customer, the one who brings in the money.

i would be totally pissed- they arent doing themselves any favors, even if it were $53 more, if they were up front with it I bet you wouldnt be so angry. Way to generate good vibes for your patients.

If you have gone through insurance, file a complaint with them. It might not actually get anything changed, but the "front desk" staff that are screwing with you will have to deal with it and waste an hour of their time answering to it.

Bummer. The place I went to, The Toronto Laparascopic Band Centre, charged me $16,000 Cdn for the band, the surgery and a lifetime of free aftercare. So far I have had 5 fills, 2 defills, and been examined for a possible slip - all at no cost to me. They also operate an on-going in-house support programme for their band graduates. This is to help us stay on track with our weight loss programme.

I agree, sounds like a scam to me and don't get me started on dr's receptionists. I'm not talking about my lapband dr but just in general. I know they are over worked but if you take on a job like that you have to have a compassionate nature but not the case 80% of the time. You need to complain to the dr about her attitude because they don't always know.

Don't let it get you.

Dispute any bills IN WRITING. If you paid w/ a CC then contact the bank and do a dispute with them.

Healthcare is a business...don't treat them as anything other than that. If your gas station over charged you on a fill up...you'd be disputing the heck out of that, right?

Oh, BTW.

Please tell us who this doc is so we can AVOID him.

He is not following Inamed's guideliness. He's been trained, right? So why is he only giving .5cc fills?

MONEY MAKING SCAM

I'd be contacting the Better Business Bureau, the Attorney General's office, AND the AMA....that is, of course, if they don't honor their agreement. Seems like free fills are in order for you my dear.

Oh, BTW.

Please tell us who this doc is so we can AVOID him.

He is not following Inamed's guideliness. He's been trained, right? So why is he only giving .5cc fills?

MONEY MAKING SCAM

I'd be contacting the Better Business Bureau, the Attorney General's office, AND the AMA....that is, of course, if they don't honor their agreement. Seems like free fills are in order for you my dear.

Grace is right. You should feel free to "out" this clinic to LBT for afterall this is a support group for the weight loss gang and all info is GOOD info, I think. And you must remember that the customer does have her rights, too.

Well, I almost hate posting his name because I do like the doc and the nurse - just not the accounting office. It's Dr. Gibbs in Little Rock, Arkansas.

I just can't believe that a lot of people are getting free fills. I know, I know, my mistake, should have looked into it further.

In my defense, he was the only one operating out of a hospital, and I felt much safer in a hospital setting, so that's the main reason I went with him. The other one that operates out of a clinic setting charges the same for the operation but only $100 flat fee for fill/doc appointment, whatever you see him for. But he's so busy he won't see anyone else's patients.

This kind of stuff always seems to happen to me too. I get really excited about something, dive in head first without reading the warning signs, and get in trouble. Always. It's my personality. Act first, learn about what I should have done when it's too late.

GraceUtah - the office say that .5 cc's is following the guidelines. Can you give me info about how it's not? Is it on Inamed's site? Thanks!