Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5K on treadmill?????

Suddenly I have become interested in the Couch to 5K training program!!! Why I don't know...but is anyone doing it on a treadmill? If so, could you please give me the incline and speed at which you walk/run?

Thanks

I taught myself to run on my treadmill. I very rarely run on it anymore (use it for circuit training though), but its a great way to start, a softer surface, safe, non embarrassing!

I started out with a very very slow jog at 6.4kms (4mph), and a 4km distance, always on an incline of 1, 1.5 (to better simulate an outdoor run). I can now run on at about 6mph, but I tend to run outside now, have no idea of my speed, I just do it, lol.

The treadmill is great becuase you can be exact with everything, your speed, the increments by which you increase distance etc.

I'm way too embarrassed to run outside yet, so I walk/run on my treadmill. I've started the couch to 5k a few times, but can't seem to stay interested in it. I like to change up my workouts as I get bored doing any one thing very long.

My usual walking speed is 3 mph, and my running speed is usually between 4 and 4.5, depending on how winded I am. I call it running, but it's really a jog, it's all I can manage at this point.

i've given running outside a try twice ... hated it ... felt like everyone at the park was commenting "look at the fat chick try to run" ... so i stopped and do it on a treadmill now...

I do it both on the treadmill and outside. I'm on week 3 :mad:

I'm 5'0" so my walk is a 3.0mph and my jog is 4.3-4.5 depending.

Good luck to you on doing the program!!

wombat

Awsome Just the answers I was looking for today. I am considering this program and was wondering how fast a walk is I read where the run should be a 10 minute mile and I am going to do it on a treadmil because I am just too self councious to go outside. Even though I will be doing it in the gym...ok I am weird. lol

Awsome Just the answers I was looking for today. I am considering this program and was wondering how fast a walk is I read where the run should be a 10 minute mile and I am going to do it on a treadmil because I am just too self councious to go outside. Even though I will be doing it in the gym...ok I am weird. lol

a 10 minute mile? oh good gravy! that's 6 MPH... for someone starting off?? no way!

when i first started i was going about 3.5 - 4.

actually, started about 4.5 and was told by several of the seasoned runners on this board to SLOW IT DOWN!!!!

good luck!

a 10 minute mile? oh good gravy! that's 6 MPH... for someone starting off?? no way!

when i first started i was going about 3.5 - 4.

actually, started about 4.5 and was told by several of the seasoned runners on this board to SLOW IT DOWN!!!!

good luck!

someone said a walk is about 15 min/mile walk. Hell I am only at a 20 min walk when I push it hard. that is 3.0 I am working up to a faster pace but I started at 1.7 2 months ago. So I am doin good in my opinion.

But for a good laugh...I tried to run...I could of been put on Americas Funniest Videos. It was so funny I could not get my legs to do the running motion...imagine a 5 year old running with arms flalying that was me. in the gym, on a treadmil, trying not to fall, trying to figure out how to get my legs to run. hylarious I tell you. I think I am going to try the elypitical atleadt that is a movement You HAVE to do. I figure I could train my legs with the movement then I could learn to run. lol

You have no idea how funny I looked.

Cerrin,

when i was your weight, 3 miles an hour was pushing it for me too ... give it time, go for endurance not speed right now. REALLY... speed will come (im up to about 6.1ish but have been walking/running for over a year mostly walking)

it can happen... it WILL happen. just dont push yourself too far and get injured.

OK I thought you were running the whole time. I am still increasing my speed when I am on the treadmill. And I push a speed for a few minutes a couple times during my work out. Like last night I walked at 2.9 huffin and puffin then I would bump it up to 3.3 for 2 minutes then down to 2.7 and when I can breath again back up to 2.9 keep that pace for 5 minutes and up it again.

It is kinda fun to see what I can do.

I just make sure I atleast get a mile and a half in.

I've been working on running on and off for about a year. When the weather is nice, I run outside on a trail where I live. In the winter (most of the time here!) I use the treadmill. Since Jan 1, I've focused more on running. I agree with the others who say go at an easy pace and work on endurance. Start with running .1, .25 or whatever you can do then walk for a bit and run again. Do these intervals at an easy pace. You will know when you speed up and have to start to run. It doesn't matter what that speed is for now...just do it. For example, when I started, I was running at 4.0 mph. Then, my easy pace became 4.8 and stayed there for a long time. I pushed it up on Jan 1 to make my "easy pace" 5.0 and am now pushing it up to 5.2 with sprints for 30 seconds at 6.0. It seems super fast to me, too! HAHA. SO, the point is...you do what you can at your own level. Now, I can run 3 miles at 5.0 (a 12-min mile) and never thought I would be able to do that! I usually run 1.5, walk .5, run 1, walk .25, run .5, walk .25 (for a few weeks anyway and then I'll change it up). I walk at 4.3, so it's a good pace. Have fun with it and enjoy it!!! You'll get addicted (WARNING!) ;-)

Im really glad I found this thread. I want to begin running when I reach around 250lbs. This info is helping to get me pumped about it. I really love the idea of taking a morning run.

Of course I'm going to be the Devil's Advocate and ask, WHY WAIT? Running will just help you drop to 250 faster! I started running when I was about 305 and while I was slow and couldn't run that far...I believe running is like it's own exercise...because I was doing kickboxing, spinning, etc., and running was tough to get good at for me. ANYWAY, I say GO FOR IT! Start with some intervals and you'll be amazed at how good you will get. By the way, I have lots of "normal sized" runner friends. They have all told me that once you get to the point where you can run 2 miles straight, all the distances get easier after that! I have to agree...two miles took me a long time and then 3 came easily. There have been times I've run 5 miles w/o stopping...HUGE success for me!!! Good luck!! ;-)

My brother, who has always been fit, told me when I come to visit him next year, he is going to take me to this great lake and we can run together then go for a swim. LOL it is still amazing for me to even THINK about taking a run. lol But I am making it a goal for me to be able to learn how to run so I can run with my brother. wow

OH and I am going on a cruse in November and I want to drop some major weight and have the endurance to keep up with my friends in the airport. lol I SO need to get walking...faster...and maybe jog a bit.

I just started this today....just came home from the gym. I am also doing it on the treadmill. I walked at about 2.5-3 and ran around 4. I loved it.

Shannon