Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

obstructed

hey guys, i had surgery 2-6-8....but was completely obstructed by the next day...spitting up my own saliva. called my doc who said come right in...he did not prefill, but was able to get 6cc of air and saline out (with great exertion on his part)

i did better but reobstructed that night.... kept thinking it was post op swelling, i slept sitting up, did all that i could. My surgeon had arrainged for me to be admitted that night (2-7-8) but i declined to try and work on it overnight.

needless to say a full obstruction (two of them now) is not going away on its on. I had a revision surgery 2-8-8 with immediate relief. my doc has done over 1,300 cases, and i was only the 6th obstruction he'd had...mine ended up being due to an abberrant bundle of veins that were hidden under the fat surrounding my stomach. He carefully dissected these out, and i am now home with only normal postop pain...which is not bad at all.

Moral of the story, go back immediately if vomitting post op.....

all i can say is that my surgeon was compassionate and quick to work with me.....the yucky part i am self pay i'm gonna try and see if my insurance will cover the second admission as a complication....cross your fingers...

i'm banded and able to drink fluids now wooo hooo

amanda

OMG you poor thing. i am such a baby i don't know if i could have survived that. I'm so glad to hear he found the cause of your obstruction. Hang in there!

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that you had to go through so much! I am glad to hear that you were able to go back in and get it resolved though and that you are still banded!!! Congrats! Hopefully things will go smoother for you now! I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

Oh no Amanda, that was so scary! I'm glad you are doing well now! These February bandster complication stories are starting to freak me out!

Oh no Amanda, that was so scary! I'm glad you are doing well now! These February bandster complication stories are starting to freak me out!

Gibson

Try not to worry. This was only the 6th obstruction out of 1,300 surgeries for her doctor. That is really low. While it was a complication, it was able to be fixed and she is well on her way and feeling better already. I know it's scary to read these before surgery but just remember they are very few and far between.

Good luck!

You are so strong, Amanda!! I am so sorry you had to go thru that but am glad to hear you are on the mend. We're all here for you!!

Hugs,

Amy

hey there,

don't freak out it's still so worth it....i fill full, and on so little food....i am starting to transition gently into mushies....cottage cheese ideas anyone....to say it is like erasers in cream sauce is to give dignity to cottage chese that i'm not sure it deserves (lol)

my sincere thanks for your support during this time....we're all going to make it....and if with my disaster story i can say that then girl we're GOLDEN.....ps i do soooooo love my surgeon, he was on top of things and soooo concerned...i feel really good about the care i got (no victims here) and it was just a freaky anatomic variant of a vascular bundle that tripped us up...really rare, but hey i always knew i WAS SO SPECIAL, and now it's medically documented (hee hee LOL!)

amanda

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that you had to go through so much! I am glad to hear that you were able to go back in and get it resolved though and that you are still banded!!! Congrats! Hopefully things will go smoother for you now! I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

hey karen, how did you do with your surgery

amanda

hey karen, how did you do with your surgery

amanda

Did wonderfully Amanda!

No complications whatsoever, went smooth as silk. Right now just going through the poor me clear liquid diet phase. Will be glad to start getting some actual nutrition tomorrow. My tummy is still tender mostly on the left (port) side and I can feel the swelling when I run my hand over it but every day it gets better and better. All in all I can't really complain being just three days post op.

How are you doing????????

heykaren,

i'm so glad to hear that it went well....i'm now on mushies, and working pretty hard to get calories and Water in.....post op gas from 2 surgeries much harder to get out of me....so lots of fullness some pain

but we're doing it

victorious valentine--amanda

heykaren,

i'm so glad to hear that it went well....i'm now on mushies, and working pretty hard to get calories and Water in.....post op gas from 2 surgeries much harder to get out of me....so lots of fullness some pain

but we're doing it

victorious valentine--amanda

I can't imagine going through two surgeries so close together! You are really a trooper! I can imagine that the discomfort correlates to that as well :smile2:

Right now I am on Protein shakes 3x a day plus all the Clear liquids I want. Saturday I get to move onto mushies and I can't wait!!!! Just to taste some normal food again will be wonderful! On the plus side I am down 22.5 lbs so far so it's working and yes we are doing it!!!!!!!!

Right now my only complaints are persistant burping, a hoarse throat and some soreness in my tummy and left shoulder. Not bad though.

Glad to hear you are on the mend!!!

Amanda, glad you are doing so much better. And that you attitude is so positive. You are the poster child. Let's see i would skip the cottage cheese and go for the riccota with some cinnamin, blend it up with a little skim milk if it is too thik. YUMMO!

Karen, glad to see you are doing good as well. LOVE those protien shakes... YUCK!