Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Overwhelmed by amount to lose

bergdorfblonde,

Yes, and I am going to put both tickers on my profile, I think, but I , in my mind, track it lb by lb (talk about little chunks). LOL< I know it sounds weird, but I get happy EVERY lb. I was plateaued for a long time, so now, each and every lb brings me closer and is important for my brain to say, 'see, you are doing it"!!!

Every pound lost feels like opening a present. I have 2 dogs who are 11.5 pounds each. I have lost more weight than holding both of them at the same time~ I cannot imagine that much extra weight on my body! It's pretty cool:smile:

bergdorfblonde,

Yes, and I am going to put both tickers on my profile, I think, but I , in my mind, track it lb by lb (talk about little chunks). LOL< I know it sounds weird, but I get happy EVERY lb. I was plateaued for a long time, so now, each and every lb brings me closer and is important for my brain to say, 'see, you are doing it"!!!

I started this leg of my journey on June 12, 2007 (the day after my 42 nd birthday). I call it "my committment day". I joined weight watchers that day in preparation for the surgery and have been progressing in my journey steadily. I have had my ups and downs, but I have "stayed the course".

I didn't let myself get overwhelmed by the amount that I had to lose because I just refused to think about it (for once I used denial as a friend) and I set my expectations quite low (or high depending on how you look at it). When I set up my ticker, I didn't go for a healthy BMI goal - I have never (to my knowledge except as a baby) been a healthy BMI.

I got on the scale this morning (unfortunately I am addicted to my scale) and realized that on the 9 month anniversary of my committment day, I have lost 100 pounds.

Frankly I don't have a clue about how I feel. I am really proud of how hard I have worked and how much I have achieved, yet at the same time as I am posting this, I can't stop crying. I don't think I am sad - maybe it is more like I am having delayed feelings of being overwhelmed.

I just thought I would share that - not so people can think about how nuts I am (although feel free to think that), but to say that people have their feelings, and there is no way to know when and how you are going to react to what life brings that day.

Despite my tears, I don't feel like I am going to fail and that I can't do this, I am actually thinking that maybe (I haven't made the decision) I should change my goal BMI to the "normal" weight range.

jjsmiles:

Congratulations! Tears, you bet. Cheers or tears. I did both when I hit 100 pounds lost. It really is a huge accomplishment. Be proud and stay the course along with me. I weighed 211 this morning. So, we're close in weight. I was banded last July. I had started dieting on a modified weight watcher-type diet end of April last year. It's been a great 10+ months for me so far.

I hope that you continue with your terrific success. I did something silly to Celebrate my hundred pound mark. I bought myself a beautiful ring - aquamarine. I haven't ever bought myself jewelry like that. I guess I shouldn't have though because after spending $400 that I shouldn't have I lost my beautiful ring. Oh well, wasn't meant to be. I wanted to have something tangible to look at to remind me of how well I was doing with my battle of the bulge.

Are you going to do something special to celebrate?

Best wishes for your continued success.

Sue

Thanks for the support Sue. We do seem to be on similar journeys!! I am pleased and proud to join you.

I was thinking that I should do something to Celebrate (your rings sounds like it was lovely), but I haven't got a clue what to do. I actually bought a ring to remember my trip to Europe last summer (ok now we are starting to be eerily similar!), but I will have to get it resized soon as it is slipping off my finger.

I have been treating myself to new, cheap clothes as I have been going along. I have to laugh though because I wore the same clothes from 409 down to about 300 and now my pants are getting too big every 10-20 pounds, so the thrill of buying new pants evey couple of months is starting to pall.

I used to celebrate by eating (along with every other emotion or event). I am glad to say that I don't have any desire to do that at this time (and hopefully forever). Anyone have any suggestions on how to celebrate?

Hi Guys I get my lap and next month and I have 124 lbs to lose. I try not to think about that number and just tell myself to take it slow. I know that it will most likely take a year to lose it all and after doing all these quick fix diets, I am definately ready to take my time with the lap band. I know it will pay off in the end!

Good luck to everyone!

I have lost a total of 141 lbs--would never have believed it could happen!! My goal along the way has always been to be able to get dressed from the thrift shop...and I have beautiful things for very little money....thank God!! cause now I need all new furniture!!! I was told I would not live another 2 years the way I was...so my other goal was to live long enough to be an aggravation to my adult children...I work on these projects EVERY day ....so far so good!! Thought I would add a little humor to this topic....so far I am succeeding at all endevors...luck and love to all of you!!

Hi all, I have 156 lbs to lose as well, so I am banking alot on this surgery to help me through. I know I need to make some lifestyles changes as well. Any pointers to get through are appreciated!

christall:

I think that it's important to think about it in much smaller increments. I like to think about it one pound at a time and then it doesn't get so overwhelming. I also give myself rewards along the way. Exercise is important too. It doesn't have to be going to the gym. Just get outside and walk. I really like walking now. With my MP3 player it's a great escape.

Good luck.

Sue

Not sure if I posted this, but I always think it when I see this thread.

When I was at 100lbs to go and feeling totally overwhelmed, my husband said "just lose 20". I of course told him he was an idiot and 20lbs wasn't going to make a damn bit of difference. He said "20 is on the way to 100". I still thought he was an idiot, but really he's right. Every 1lb is that much closer to your goal.

I'm always just aiming for the next number down on the scale. I don't much think about the 60+ I need to lose, just that next ONE.

Hi all,

This may sound weird to most of you, but I battle the "overwhelm-ies" by not weighing myself. I weigh in at my surgeon's office once a month. It's so much more encouraging to see a bigger number of pounds lost after a month, as opposed to smaller numbers lost (or heaven forbid - gains!!) when you weigh more often. No offense to anyone, but I think it's nuts to weigh every day, ESPECIALLY multiple times per day! I think that's self-defeating. Just my $0.02 worth. Best of luck to all. BTW, I have lost about 65 pounds since pre-op diet beginning Oct. 26, 2007. Sugery was Nov. 2, 2007 (my birthday!).

Robin

I have 120 lbs. to lose, more or less. I am just anxious to get on with my surgery so I can START losing weight! I have been fat for so long (20 years) and have never been able to lose more than 20-30 lbs. (only to gain it back). I will be happy when I have lost 30 lbs, giddy if I can manage to drop 50 lbs., and you guys won't be able to log on without seeing me blast my face off if I lose more than that! So I am not worried about how long it will take. Do you know I have clothes dating back to the 80's that I have saved just so I can have the pleassure of fitting into them when I lose weight. I AM GOING TO ENJOY THE WHOLE EXPIERIENCE! To finally lose weight and keep on loosing instead of gaining it back! And YES I WILL wear those 'boogie night' 80's threads WHEREVER, EVEN TO CHURCH! AND I WILL BE PROUD!!! Oh yea!

I have 120 lbs. to lose, more or less. I am just anxious to get on with my surgery so I can START losing weight! I have been fat for so long (20 years) and have never been able to lose more than 20-30 lbs. (only to gain it back). I will be happy when I have lost 30 lbs, giddy if I can manage to drop 50 lbs., and you guys won't be able to log on without seeing me blast my face off if I lose more than that! So I am not worried about how long it will take. Do you know I have clothes dating back to the 80's that I have saved just so I can have the pleassure of fitting into them when I lose weight. I AM GOING TO ENJOY THE WHOLE EXPIERIENCE! To finally lose weight and keep on loosing instead of gaining it back! And YES I WILL wear those 'boogie night' 80's threads WHEREVER, EVEN TO CHURCH! AND I WILL BE PROUD!!! Oh yea!

I can't wait to see pictures of you in your "Boogie Night" outfits! I threw all my skinny clothes out because I thought I would never lose the weight, now I can shop for brand new clothes which will be cool!

I HATE THE NUMBERS GAME. I also don't weigh, and cant remember the number by the time I've left the Dr. I lost a ton of wt years ago and weighed myself all the time. I discovered there was always a 5 pound variance. it changed at my time of the month, If I ate salty food, and I swear I can lose 5 pounds when I go to the toilet. So, for me the numbers on the scale dont nessasarily mean that I'm eating good or bad. this time around I just keep taking my cloths in and I'll be happy when that no longer works for me. I also find the tape measure never lies, so I use that now and then. This may all change when i dont have so much to lose. who knows? I havn't weighed under 150 in 38 years.

I wish you all well

Bandit.1

sweetviolet:

Too funny one of your goals is to get dressed from the thrift shop. I live in MA and last year they opened a new Salvation Army Store in my town. I'm hooked on it. Last weekend I got a new sweater - maroon and nice - only a size L (yes, no X), and it was only $1.99. I look forward to going each Saturday to pick up new bargains. I've already bought things in size 20, 18, 16, 14, and 12. Right now I can wear the 20's and 18's. Can't wait to wear the 16's, but I'm probably a month away from that. I've already bought three new winter coats and each of them was less than $5.00 each.

Each week I go to that store with only $20 and always walk out with at least 5 things, usually more. My Daughter cracks up when I come home with bags full.

Enjoy the shopping and the weight loss. I know that I do.

Sue