Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Need Help Asap!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, so here is what's going on....I was suppose to have surgery on Tues. Well...I got into the operating room and was "put under" only to be in there for a total of 15-20 min. :crying:The surgeon I had basically under estimated my torso and ended up cutting into my diaphragm and saw my lungs.:regular_smile: She pulled out ASAP and sloppily stapled me up to get me out of there to get a chest X-Ray done to see what kind of damage she had done. I ended up going to ICU to be monitored. Well about 3:30 that afternoon, her office called to inform me that my surgery had been moved to next Tues. and they wanted me to call them back to confirm the time. Please keep in mind that she has yet to come in herself and check on me. She just automatically assumed that I would continue with the surgery next week and be okay with what happened. I'm so confused...I don't know what to do. I understand that surgeons are human and I took that risk going into this whole thing. In a way I don't blame her or have any hard feelings but I am really really really skeptical about having this surgery now.

Do I go ahead with it and take another risk, or do I back out now and be fat the rest of my life?????:tt1::blushing::crying::biggrin:

I need some help y'all....what would you do??

Ah, I am so sorry for you. Hang in there. Maybe there is a second surgeon that can supervise Butterfingers? Many surgeons practice in pairs so this could make you feel more comfortable for take 2. You sound like you are in good spirits, keep it up.

BeachBum -

What a horrific ordeal to go through. Just when you thought you were taking a step forward...

Honestly, I have no idea what I would do. It is inevitable that even the best of surgeons will find themselves in an unexpected situation even when they do everything right and they are good surgeons. As for the sloppy staples, not what I would want, but maybe she was in a rush to get you to Xray and actually acted in your best interest not to waste time with stitches? Can you tell I always give people the benefit of the doubt...

That being said, I have no idea why she hasn't taken the time to come and talk with you personally - that is unprofessional and rude. I'm hoping for her sake that she was just in surgery and came to talk with you tonight.

Back to your question though, I still have no idea what I would do. Likely I would go back to the research stage, ask anyone and everyone who has had interactions with her about their experience, find out her numbers for good/bad outcomes (not the whole clinic, but her personally), and then see if she comes and talks with you personally.

If she never comes and talks with you, I would DEFINITELY not continue on with her as the surgeon.

Best of luck...and a quick recovery from this ordeal

Hoping you are still a Double V.

Beach Bum,

How many of these surgeries has your surgeon done? I can't believe that she hasn't even come and talk to you yet. I for one would be extremely hesitant to allow her to proceed and would even be considering a malpractice suit against her (could be one of the reasons she isn't communicating). Contact a lawyer and contact another surgeon. This is your life we're talking about.

I'm really sorry you are having to go through this.

I am totally freaked out for you. :thumbup: Wow. I'm a little freaked out for myself now too, but that's not your problem! :thumbdown: I thought I'd heard all the complications a dozen times but this is a new one for me!

Was there any damage to your lungs? Are you OK now? I'm not really a litigious person but if there was damage I would consider contacting a lawyer. I think I might call my surgeon's office and demand to speak to her. At the very least, you could see if there is another surgeon in her practice with more experience that could do your surgery.

Good luck!

Good heavens, that's scary! I can certainly understand not wanting that doctor cutting on you again. Is it possible for you to use another surgeon? By all means, still go through with your lap-band surgery! It will be so worth it. After all, this is about your health, not just your dress size.

Hey everyone! Thanks for keeping up with me. So, I ended up having the surgery by the same surgeon this past Tuesday. Everything went completely smooth. I decided to keep with her b/c I knew that she would not be making any more mistakes in fear of getting a law suit. We discussed everything before the surgery and I felt pretty confident in her ability to continue. As of right now, I'm hurting like hell from the surgery but as far as my diaphragm, it is doing A-OKAY. Thanks for all your concerns and for keeping me in your thoughts and Prayers.:D

thanks for the update, was starting to worry about you.

take it easy. its gets better every day.

I'm so glad!! Did she at least apologize for what she did? is there an extra scar there from that first mix up? I'm glad you are doing okay sugar!!

I wish you a great post op. She was at least honest, but you took a chance. I am soooo glad it worked out for you. She knew it was iffy. The cut might have only been a small wound or you wouldn't have been able to have surgery so soon. The diaphragm once closed heals pretty quickly

Geesh, what an experience, I dont know if i would have gone with her again but you know best.

Im so happy that everything went well the second time around. I also wish you a speedy recovery!:mad:

:mad::thumbup::thumbup:Awww!! Thanks y'all for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers. I am doing much better today. I just had the best shower of my life and I took off the bandages. From what I can tell, my incisions look pretty good. As far as a discount, nope, 'fraid not but she was more in tune to kissing my butt....LOL I have a question for all those who have been recently banded...I dont' know about y'all but I am freaking STARVIN!!!!!!!!! liquids just aren't doing it for me, how are y'all copin?????:confused2::confused2: